Handsome visitor !

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

This little guy/gal found it's way into my kitchen last night for a midnight snack.
It got in because I leave my back door open for the cats to come and go. My red cat was on top of the fridge with his eyes the size of airplane tires !
This possum lives in a huge Cecile Brunner rose climber during the day.

Thumbnail by JasperDale Thumbnail by JasperDale
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

We see them around here from time to time, just hope one never finds its way through the doggie door. Wasn't too long ago the pound picked up a mama and babies from across the street.

Carlsbad, CA(Zone 10b)

How cute! We had one get in the house years ago and were finally able to lead him out with a trail of banana slices.

I'm so glad you allow him to live on your property and didn't try to kill him. As we continue to build more and more houses, etc. in California our wildlife is quickly slipping away. It's also leading to more close encounters with what is still here which many people don't like.

Our newest neighbor on the cup-de-sac is fighting a battle to keep raccoons out of his yard. They've been coming through his property for years and he lives on a canyon! Get real or go live in a development with no wild areas left! Having his grass dug up in a few places is a small price to pay for his children being able to see possums, raccoons, skunks, coyotes, hawks, quail, bluejays, and yes even snakes. And another friend just paid someone to trap the raccoons that kept getting into her pond, and the trapper was only allowed to let them go within 50 yards of her house, meaning they'll be right back, or kill them. So good-bye three beautiful raccoons. And again her property borders a canyon and she knows another family will likely take their place! Grrrr.

Sorry to get up on my soap box here but it really makes me angry. As a native Californian I want to be able to continue to see my local flora and fauna - they were here first. We talk so much about saving open space but then when the wildlife doesn't stay in it's place too many people overreact.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I have no problem witht the possums at all. They're great for keeping the snails under control, too. Possums have gotten a bad rap, but as long as you leave them alone, they're harmless.
We have raccoons, too. I quit growing anything edible because they devour it in record time.
Last spring I had a family of 7 raccoons under my place. After they moved on I boarded up all the vents where they were getting in. The 5 little ones were cute as hell. My cats weren't too thrilled with them, but...!
Those gargantuan black crows are another story.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

My daughter volunteers at the local wildlife rescue and has let several possums go out behind our house. We're on acreage so it's a good location for them. We never see them, although I'm sure they come in for water from the koi pond on occasion. I'm glad I can provide a little habitat for our wild friends.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.