Clematis chat - heading into winter

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

The few surprise blooms are a joy at this time of year so let's continue showing photos, asking questions and hopefully getting answers. All are welcome to join us, even those who just lurk.

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1273123/

Anna - please post your most recent photos again so we can be sure everyone sees them. Thanks.

Here are a few photos I took yesterday:

1. Ernest Markham
2. A fuzzy shot of Lemon Chiffon. Someday, with a lot of luck, mine will look like Kimmy_cocopuff's!
3. Fireworks. Earwigs are back on this one so time for some control there.
4. Candida! I chopped her back and now she's in bloom without earwig damage.

Still waiting to see if Reiman will give the same fall performance as last year when it was so glorious.

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
Thomaston, CT

Earnest is really loving this weather! Love Lemon Chiffon...might have to get one in the spring....

Yesterday I cut back a lot of Liberation and Henryi. If I could have taken the cold and the wind I'd have cut them back to a foot tall.

Saw one more bud and don't know if it belongs to Henryi or an old Anna Louise. Time will tell.

A neighbor kindly took all the firewood we had stashed in a hoop in the dog's pen, which the dog prefers not to use, so now it has become my garden room and I love it. At the top of the wood pile I had a few strong branches and decided to wire one to the fence so this clematis would have something to climb. I hope it works.

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
Thomaston, CT

Looks like a wonderful spot...

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Sometimes clems have their own ideas. I hope it takes your suggestion. Earnest M is really blooming well!
I had to "pose" them but this is Romantika and Star of India.
Second pic is Nelly and Ramona
M Julia Correvon going strong
Margaret Hunt is another reliable bloomer.

Thumbnail by bananna18 Thumbnail by bananna18 Thumbnail by bananna18 Thumbnail by bananna18

Marilyn - it's a mostly sunny spot but it does get afternoon shade.

Anna - The color on Romantika & Star of India is so rich. Nelly and Ramona look like they share some genes, don't they? Your Madame Julia is a far cry from the bare stems on mine - do you want to trade? Margaret Hunt is one ClematisGuru had loved and I can see why she loved it. Any clem that blooms in October earns a few extra points on my scale.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

You have a good memory about ClemGuru. I was hoping Margaret Hunt would do well in a hot climate as in Ohio. Maybe M JC is more of a hot weather clem...I know you wouldn't want live down here no matter what!

Beverly Pflugerville, TX(Zone 8b)

Today I jumped back into clematis fever. Haven't had any for a few years because of moving too many times. Only had a few in the past, mostly Jackami because purple is my favorite color. Today I planted a Nellie Moser and a Dr. Ruppel side by side. Have two identical trelises that I will let them grow on. From what I read, they should both be happy in half day sun in hot Texas. I hope that is correct.

Got these two from Brushwood Nurseries and they came in beautiful and healthy looking (about 18" tall.) I am going to try my best to keep them at 24" as I have read suggested all of next summer. It is so hard for me to cut a growing plant, but I have learned that it pays off later.

Love reading this forum.

ClematisGuru had a lot of good points but she also had lots of hired help and that does make a difference.

I had to Google Colleyville, Texas. Back in 2003 we spent two weeks in Texas - the worst weather (they told us) they ever had in Austin to San Marcos to San Antonio and the surrounding areas. We loved the scenery but the days with icy rain, endless car crashes and backed up traffic (as we watched on TV reports) wasn't too thrilling. The people were warm, welcoming and very hospitable. The food was wonderful and we really enjoyed the German towns as well as the real BBQ.
Our favorite spot of all was Luckenbach, TX. No sightings of Waylon, Willie and the boys!

So glad to have you with us Bezziec! Well, you're only 17 miles from Austin so you might have been to the Bob Bullock Museum. We really enjoyed it. The duck ride was way too (freezing) cold for me!

You selected the right company, Brushwood, and some lovely clematises to start anew. You must have the utmost in willpower to keep them down to 24" the first year. I admire that trait but it's not one I've developed (or even tried to develop). Nelly enjoys some shade even up here while Dr. Ruppel was a stellar performer this year with almost endless blooms. The color is SO vibrant!

Glad you enjoy reading the Clematis Forum.

Pirl, thanks for the welcome Actually now the NE corner of Austin is less than 2 miles from my house. We were visiting our daughter in Austin in that 2003 ice storm. And we were here in a 37 foot motor home. With the Texans not knowing how to drive on ice, we just kept it parked!!

My next door neighbor and I are trying to fill up the space between our houses with something besides grass,thus the two clematis and many other plants. There's a joke here that we mow for the last time on December 31st and start again on January 1st and it's not too far from wrong. The less grass and the more flowers the better.

Got the info about Brushwood from this forum. Since my two local nurseries were out of clematis I took a chance and ordered,. Very pleased that I did so that they can develop roots this fall and winter.

I'm so relieved that someone else remembers that awful storm! Guard rails were down all along I35. What a nightmare. We walked to dinner and back - same for breakfast and lunch. You were wise to keep it parked and not try driving for a few days.

When we used to visit my husband's now late sister, in Florida, they teased that for the two February weeks we were in Florida it was their winter so they didn't have to mow!

What else are you growing in the strip between the houses? Do you grow some native wildflowers? We visited the Wildseed company in Fredericksville while we were there. Do you grow any Bluebonnets?

Here we get lupines that bloom at the same time as the clem's do. There's a Blue Moon and another Dr. Ruppel on the right side of the obelisk (hard to see, I know).

Thumbnail by pirl

Pirl, it's quite a list. We have crepe myrtles and Texas bluebonnets already growing next to my neighbors house. Of course the bluebonnets only bloom for about 3 weeks in the early spring and then die down. We have both been in overdrive and my husband volunteered to help with the heavy work, so we got a lot done in a short time. We planted: 2 coral honeysuckle, Vitex (Texas lilac), Blue Butterfly Pea vine, Clerodemdrum Butterfly Blue, Esperanza, Pink/yellow lantana (a Texas native that is dispersed liberally by the birds), Red/yellow lantana, Pink Autumn Sage, Autumn Joy Sedum, Purple Coneflowers, Shasta Daisies, rudebecia, a pink French rose, Zepherin Douchin rose, Golden Showers rose, Dr. Ruppel, Nellie Moser, yellow mums, Stella de Oro Daylillies, and Giant Lirope. It is our intention to attract butterflies and hummers. More plants to follow as soon as I can get some more grass dug out!!! One day this week, I will post some pictures on the Texas Gardening Forum under a heading saying something about shared flower bed with neighbor if you want to look. You will notice a spigot coming through the fence. It looks a bit odd, but my DH installed 4 rainwater barrels behind the fence for us to use.

Your pictures are beautiful. Do you have as big a yard as it appears? I never met a flower I didn't like so will continue to plant.

I'd love to see photos, bezziec, so please post a link here so we can all enjoy the hard work that went into your project. We have Crape Myrtles, too, and I just love them. All your other plants are so colorful. It's bound to look magical.

My best plant this year for the hummers was Wendy's Wish salvia. I took a few cuttings yesterday to see if I could start new plants. I never expected them to get so huge but it's fine with me.

We have less than an acre but more than I can handle at 71 so we'll be deleting one entire garden (hopefully) this fall.

Nice clematis just received from Brushwood Nurseries. Dr. Ruppel on the right and Nellie Moser on the left. Trellises to be placed soon.

Thumbnail by bezziec

This is the link to the flower bed that Pirl and I have been discussing and that my neighbor and I are sharing.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1284760/

Thomaston, CT

How exciting to be planning a new garden!

Great clematises from Brushwood, bezziec.

What a nice layout on your new joint garden with your neighbor. You'll have spring long before we will so post new links as you post spring photos. You can even post some here on the Clematis Forum since we all garden and love seeing what other people do.

Taylorsville, KY

What a nice fall clem thread......welcome bezziec--love what you have planned there and look forward to progress. ROBINDOG, I love my Lemon Chiffon and I hope to be able to post pictures one day.....I don't have a pc at home but would love to contribute so I'm hoping to do that soon. I love the foliage on it and it takes some shade. That's why I originally bought it as it's in a shaded area.

As always, pirl, your pictures are inspiring......kim

Thanks, Kim. I hope Santa brings you that PC so we can all enjoy your photos.

Just heard about Mrs. Robert Brydon clematis. Does anyone have it and, if so, pictures would be great along with any comments about it. Some places say it's more of a ground cover taking up 8 to 10 square feet while one person I know said it forms a waterfall effect. That's something I'd really enjoy seeing. I was told it blooms all summer.

http://www.gardenvines.com/shop/non-vining-clematis-5/clematis-mrs-robert-brydon-149.html

http://www.google.com/search?num=10&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1143&bih=579&q=clematis+mrs.+robert+brydon&oq=clematis+Mrs.+R&gs_l=img.1.0.0i24.2125.6140.0.10234.15.14.0.1.1.0.297.1642.2j5j3.10.0...0.0...1ac.1.a0e2hfZdk-w

Thomaston, CT

Thanks for the info, Kim...I can use another clem that likes some shade....Pirl, that's a beautiful clem!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

hi pirl...have a question ref. Theresa Bugnet Rose....How big (ht x w), how long does it take to attain, is it truely fragrant, is it a thug or nicely behaved, suckers.....? I have 2 ready to be planted in the backyard in the next few days....was considering close to the house, next to a bathroom window hoping it might hide or should I say diguise (maybe not the right word, lol) the window, it will be close to the patio area and thought it might be nice and add a bit of privacy.....Ideas please....Thanks, Kathy

I just chopped off the top on mine. It was over 6' tall. The scent always reminds me of the rugosa roses on Cape Cod at the National Seashore, in June. While I don't recall exactly how long it took to get that tall, I'd guess two years. Mine is now much older but it still benefits from chopping back. I don't get suckers though I had been warned I would.

You'd want an area with a lot of air circulation to spread the fragrance and help with any mildew issues, if you get mildew on any plants. How sunny is the spot?

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

It would be in full sun til late in the day....do you deadhead it or is it slf deadheading? Just love the color too.

If I'm passing by it I will deadhead it. Otherwise it's nice at self-cleaning.

You'll do fine with it in the location you described. One whiff and you'll want more.

Bezzie - did you see this article today?
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2283/

No, Pirl, I didn't. I was so busy digging out more St. Augustine grass today that I didn't spend much time on the computer. I have cut this to my garden folder for further reference. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I am preparing another small bed that I want to plant in red, white, and blue for next spring. I think it probably doesn't grow in your zone, but there is a plumbago that is sooooo blue. I have to have some!!!!

I love plumbago. It grows here but at the local nursery. I haven't yet bought it though I see it every year.

Have fun with the red, white and blue garden. Projects like that do take on a life of their own.

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

When will be a good time to transplant my clems? I have to move a couple.

They are heading into dormancy now so anytime is good. Just remember they do need a few drinks of water before they sleep for the winter so don't ignore them after you move them.

Brigham City, UT(Zone 5b)

The flowers are so beautiful. I planted 6 new ones this year and I am hoping to be able to post some fabulous blooms next year.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Cut back most of my clems about a week ago, am trying to root them, fingers are crossed. filled 1 tray with scads of cuttings. Now I have one more tray to get cuttings for, see pix below, this beauty is coming home with me if I have time yet this year. I believe it's The President.

Pirl..thanks for the info on the rose, hopefully begin planting this weekend in the back, tho the area where the roses will go is still untilled.

Some other shrubs that will be planted in the next few days: Viburnum opulus (snowball), Viburnum plicatum x tomentosa (Doublefile), Hydrangea quecifolia Oakleaf. Any input would be welcomed!!!!!! Need to finish some more of my plans so planting can begin. Thanks.....Kathy

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Good luck with the rooting. Layering works best for me.

Kathy - the color of The President is a deeper blue. Here's Brushwood's page on it.
http://www.gardenvines.com/shop/search/results.html?search_in_description=1&ignore_special_flag=1&keyword=The+President

It's on sale at Brushwood for $10.02. That's a fantastic price. This is my photo of it.

Are you sure of the name of the photo you posted? It might be H.F. Young/HF Young. Here's the entire Google page of HF Young photos so you can see the vast differences in color. http://www.google.com/search?num=10&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=858&bih=570&q=clematis+hf+young&oq=clematis+HF+Young&gs_l=img.1.0.0i24l2.7063.12985.0.14985.17.8.0.9.9.0.94.704.8.8.0...0.0...1ac.1.8fYuptP-yg4

This is PlantFiles page on HF Young: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/74961/

I have had viburnum 'Opulus' for over a year, in a pot, waiting for the ideal spot. With luck it will be planted before winter.

Thumbnail by pirl
Montreal, QC(Zone 5b)

Hi Just thought I would jump in. I'm in zone 5b. I have a friend with oakleaf hydrangea and she has had great luck, me not so much. I tried and they either didn't make it or I never got flowers. Definitely protect it, that much I have been told.
I have a clematis aljonushka - it's not a climber, but it is the most healthy and prolific thing I have ever seen. Tons of flowers all summer. I even cut it down this year because my supports couldn't hold it and it still came back and is still blooming in spite of the fact that we've had some cold nights. I would recommend it. Mine is in a fairly exposed area and it does well in sun or part shade. Another clematis - Arrabella - amazing. and it also does well in part shade.
As far as roses go, well mine were devastated by the japanese rose beetle! gross!
Thanks Sharon

Welcome, Sharon. Thanks for the information on both clematises. We're always looking for those that perform well under many conditions. Our neighbor has an oakleaf and it totally obscures her path so I'd give it a lot of room.

Any photos, Sharon?

Montreal, QC(Zone 5b)

I'm so untechie....I would love to give photos - next year for sure. I have a few clematis that have given me pleasure when they perform - Multiblue is one. But from my experience, this one definitely does not do well in full blazing sun. It really needs its roots to be shaded. I had one die on me even though I had planted something in front of it. Too hot.
I must say I do love hydrangeas. Guess I should go to that thread!

At some point in time I'd bet most of us were untechie, Sharon.

You can be on as many forums as you wish so hang around and maybe you'll see something else you like and can add to your garden.

Today I intended to cut back Henryi because I don't like the blackened leaves. Lo and behold there are many buds at each leaf axil so all I cut back was anything that looked dead, without buds.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Yup pirl looks like HFYoung, will look to see if the tag is still there, I do remember having bought one years ago, origionally had planted 2 different ones at her house and one didn't make it...thanks for the Id, knew if I was wrong you'ld correct me...lol.....I also layered this one last summer will have to look and see if it took. I just love googling plants...the pix are usually outstanding but one must realize there are others mixed in. I googled the above plants and and found great pix but personal info is the greatest!!!!!!! Ya, I thought that some of the info on the above plants was rather small from what I remember. A couple of other vibs that I would love are V carlessii and V. davidii, both are extemely fragrant....yummmm, but the prices hold me back, lol.....tooooo many wonderful plants!!!!!!!

Pix.. got 3 of these (Passiflora carulea, passion flower vine, which is also edible), this spring and never got them planted so inside they went, snug for the winter.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

My apologies if my reply came across as a correction. I didn't want you to expect light blue if it's a dark blue/purple plant.

Google is good and it is fun but the warning bell should go off when we see so many different colors. It's always wise to investigate and check out the color at Brushwood, Garden Crossings, Silver Star Vinery or COTW.

One nursery here seems to sell overstocked plants from two sources and she has magnificent shrubs at $10. - that makes it too hard to resist.

That passiflora is gorgeous. I kept one inside one winter but had it with the Jade plants and it didn't get the watering it needed - bye, bye passiflora!

Thomaston, CT

I have one I planted against my garage....it's very tall, but not one flower....

Which one, Marilyn? The only non-bloomer I have is Helsingborg - not a single bloom ever.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.