Still blooming...

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Several shrubs are still blooming around here, despite lows in the 30's last couple nights.
These are all from yesterday:
#1. Lespedeza thunbergii Gibralter. A sprawling thing which is hard to find the proper siting for. Good for late blooms.
#2. Caryopteris incana Sunshine Blue. Also nice late season color.
#3. Leptodermis oblonga. Blooms heavier earlier in summer, but continuously puts out some blooms til frost.
#4. Loropetalum chinense. Not really hardy here, so looks pretty ragged in spring.
But through the summer straightens up and looks nice.

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

A couple more:
#1. Kerria japonica pleniflora. I have a love-hate relationship with it - tons of blooms, but suckers like crazy.
#2. I don't know what this is. It returns year after year, seems to reseed. The only thing I can find on-line is that it resembles clerodendron ugandense, which it can't be, since it's not hardy here. Anyone know what it is? Very pretty airy flowers in fall.
#3. Buddleia Summer Frost.

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Great collection! I remember the blue one that looks like a Clerodendron from an ID a while back. Here's the thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1279269/ - Tom figured it out to be Caryopteris divaricata cultivar.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Wow! Thanks for the ID.
An ID in a mere 10 minutes is remarkable.
Thanks Growin!!

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

np - actually Tom ID'd that one and I just happen to remember it. You've got some interesting plants in your collection. You might want to add Heptacodium miconioides http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2036/ to your collection for it's late summer to fall blooms & fruit.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I have one which is about 15yrs old and about 15ft tall.
I haven't bothered to check if it's in bloom, since it's in a part of the yard I call 'the jungle'.
I'll check it to see if it's up to anything interesting. Thanks for the reminder!

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

OK, I went out and checked out my heptacodium miconioides.
It's actually about 20ft tall and it's struggling in an overgrown jungle.
When I planted him (and a bunch of other peculiarities), it was a fairly open space.
Who knew any of them would grow?

Only the top portion is getting any sunlight - so it's bloom isn't spectacular.
Here it is. I presume these are the post-bloom calyces in the photo.
Thank goodness for a 10x zoom lens... at full zoom.
You see why I overlooked it...

This message was edited Oct 7, 2012 1:04 PM

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Yep, that's after the blooms and not fruit as I mentioned. Still nice if lower to the ground. I hacked my plant down this year and it didn't bloom but should be more manageable next year.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Such beautiful plants! And all unknown to me, except that I have a japanese variegated kerria I received from Raulston Arboretum. It is labeled Kerria Japonica 'Fibuki Nishiki'. It spent its first year in a pot and did well, so it is in my new garden, and it bloomed nicely, but it stopped months ago. I wonder whether it will sucker like yours.

Is yours truly not native? I'm just curious, because you have the most sensational native plants I have ever seen. They are not nearly as lovely in Illinois.

Your Leptodermis oblonga absolutely blew me away. I loved the pictures in Plant files.

Do you have a large garden? You seem to have a billion plants, and so many unconventional ones. My deutzia Codsall Pinks have done very well in their first year. I can't wait to see them bloom next year.

Here is a pic of my kerria from early spring, on April 4. As you can see it is still developing.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.