Daily pictures #98

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1276374/

I had an Eastern Black Swallowtail emerge today!

Thumbnail by mellielong
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I also had a Long-Tailed Skipper stuck in my orchid house; I left the door open for a few minutes and he figured it out. Here's a picture of another kind of skipper, a Duskywing, which always hangs out by the front door.

Thumbnail by mellielong
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's a shot of a Gulf Frit laying eggs and another picture of the Black ST. Also spotted in the garden was a Monarch (picked another cat, too) and a Zebra Longwing. I also saw what I think was a Polydamas ST but he was flying too fast for me.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I am seeing a few painted lady and sulphur BFs I still enjoy watching this thread!!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the new thread Melanie.

Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

Yipee!! I finally saw a monarch this morning!! It was on my marigolds. Later in the day i had another on my zinnias, maybe the same one. I was beginning to take it personally that I had not had any monarchs in my yard. My neighbor has a lot of MW in her horse pasture, so I may mosey on over to see if I can find eggs or caterpillars. The last of my GF cats is about to hang itself from the dish recvr, which is a perfect place for observation outside. I think it is good there arent any more cats, as my poor little passion vine is denuded of leaves. Since I am new at this whole metamorphosis thing, anybody know if the GF cats will overwinter like some other types do? How long is it from when they hang upside down til they emerge?(that should be eclose, right?)

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

You know, I'm trying to remember but I think Gulf Frits don't usually overwinter. Not to say that they won't, but they don't tend to. And yes, eclose is right. : )

Melanie

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I couldn't help you either scarletbean. I don't remember whether or not the G.F. cats will overwinter. I know Spicebush Swallowtail do. This summer I raised some Blackswallowtails cats. Most eclosed, all but one. Its chrysalis looks healthy, but it won't come out? So I figured it may overwinter. I also have another moth caccoon, it decided to stay put whereas others already took off. An everage time of maturation from chrysalid phase to eclosure I've noticed for some butterflies is about 2 weeks time.

I'm watching two Monarch chrysalids one on my tropical hybiscus. One I brought indoor because it spinned its shelter on a leaves that would likely fall off in the open wind.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Here the Gulf Frits will endure the winter if it is a mild one. They move very slow and develop slowly.

Nice pics Lily.

Red Oak, TX

I just found a tagged monarch in my yard. Tag number: RMR 648. I've posted it to the monarch watch list serve, but thought I'd mention it here since some of you are "taggers". This is the third tagged monarch I've ever found (in 40+ years). I've seen a couple others, as well. When I was about 10 or so I chased a tagged monarch across a parking lot but it stayed just out of range. Slowly it started to come down and I was just about to swing the net when I slammed into a wooden fence. Needless to say, that one got away...

Dale Clark
Dallas County Lepidopterists' Society
www.dallasbutterflies.com

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL! Too funny Dale. Glad you got to catch this one. You didn't say where it was from, but I guess I could look it up...just too busy today.

Red Oak, TX

Sheila: No one on the monarch watch list serve has responded yet, so I'm not sure where it's from. I don't think they list anything until after everyone is done tagging and returned their reports. That's why I posted it on the list serve in hopes of someone seeing the message and recognized that it was one of theirs. We shall see...

Dale Clark

Kissimmee, FL

Hello everyone, glad to see things turn around for everyone. I have a few spicebush ready to eclose any day now. I have stopped collecting eggs at this point and decided to let Mother nature take her course.Monarchs have aggressively started rolling in and as usual this time of year I am very tight on MW. The Queens usually have a running head start. The good news is I have Zebra swallowtails apparently colonizing the yard even though I have not found eggs or cats,there were three in the yard together last week.(somehow that makes it all worth while.) Good Luck to all.

Thumbnail by Viceroy Thumbnail by Viceroy Thumbnail by Viceroy Thumbnail by Viceroy Thumbnail by Viceroy
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

How terrific is that to have found tagged Monarch. Dale please keep us posted as to where your tagged Monarch came from. Viceroy, gorgeous series and congrats on the Spicebush that are about to eclose!

Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

Dale, I just checked my numbers and it's not one of mine. I'm jealous, as I've caught many tagged monarchs but they've all turned out to be my own. It's amazing some times how long they stay around. Maybe we should get rid of some of the nectar plants so they have to move south. Keep us posted when you find out where it came from. I only have one tag left, and 5 chrysallises. Cut it pretty close this year.

Portland, TX(Zone 9b)

I caught a couple of visitors today. The hummingbirds are swarming and the butterfly activity is picking up. I also had a tersa sphinx moth eclose today. What a nice morning.

Russell

Thumbnail by yakmon Thumbnail by yakmon Thumbnail by yakmon
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Went to an orchid show this morning; came back to find three Black STs eclosed and ready to go! Still have a Monarch making pit stops at all the milkweed and the usual Gulf Frits have discovered my duranta is blooming (I didn't even know until I saw they kept landing on it). Also, caught this Long-Tailed Skipper hanging out in the butterfly garden.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Hey Russell, we crossposted - looks like you have duranta in bloom and Long-Tailed Skippers, too!

Portland, TX(Zone 9b)

I guess they are on the move today! The porterweed is a favorite at my house too. Nice pic.

Russell

Red Oak, TX

Just heard from Monarch Watch -- the tagged monarch I found in my yard most likely came from Springfield, MO (that's where the tags were sent, anyway). About 400 miles as the crow flies. I released him after noting the number and taking the photo. Would be nice if he got found again somewhere.

Dale Clark

Thumbnail by lepfarmer
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

deleted my mistake.

This message was edited Oct 10, 2012 6:24 AM

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Sheila, this is the new thread! Right? Now, I'm confused.

Kissimmee, FL

Quote from mellielong :
Sheila, this is the new thread! Right? Now, I'm confused.

I've been going in circles for two hours now.

Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

mornin'...
thanks for the info all! I guess i will find out if the GFs will eclose or not before it gets cold for good. 2 are hanging from my dish receiver, right at eye level for me.
Hummingbirds are getting scarce now. I had a little rush of them for the last few weeks,which was very nice. Every morning i could look out the big kitchen window and see them nectaring from the pineapple sage flowers. Now, that is a plant that surprised me. It grew vigorously and when it decided to bloom, it went all out. It just keeps giving more and more clear red flowers on nice long stems. Next to the black and blue salvia, which is also still blooming profusely, it is a real hummingbird hit,and a treat to the human eye. I would like to bring something up the sides of the window so I could see the hummers at eye level rather than looking down at them... but without obstructing the view from the window. I have a Major Wheeler honeysuckle in a pot just waiting to be planted, but indecision struck and it is still potted. Perhaps it would be nice behind the pineapple sage, trained up the sides of the window with a sturdy string or narrow trellis? I read that they like their roots shaded. Any thoughts from my fellow Bf & hummer lovers?

Red Oak, TX

Just thought I'd remind the "local people" that my annual open house at my home/butterfly farm is this coming Saturday, October 13th. All are welcome! I'll have lots of native butterflies flying in the flight cage, many hundreds of caterpillars in the "caterpillar greenhouse", and of course, lots of butterflies will be flying around the gardens. We start at 10:00 a.m. and people leave whenever they have had their fill. More information as well as directions are on the Calendar of Events on the Dallas County Lepidopterists' Society website. Now I'm just hoping it doesn't rain on Saturday!

Dale Clark

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Melanie...sorry I meant to put that on the previous thread...my bad!

Dale...I hate to miss it, I really enjoyed seeing your gardens and all the caterpillars and the flight cage before. This year I have a field trip with the Master Naturalist class I am taking on that same day. :-(

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Some day I'd love to make it down to your place Dale!

It's so nice to see everyone's butterflies. I had so little here this year and so little flowers that over the winter, I'll rethink my garden plant choices. I just couldn't keep everything watered this year.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Mrs. Ed. Sorry the drought has an adverse effect on our butterflies/ gardening this year. I'd most likely will attend your open house event Dale--but I live too far away.

I had the most terrible experience with my attempt to raise Monarch caterpillar this year. All 50+ caterpillars didn't survive. Not a single one. All but two chrysalids that I observed outdoor. One I took in side because of extenuated circumstance; but look, is it okay? The chrysalis is turning a deeper, darker green color than it was.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Lilly, sorry you had such a bad experience. Could it be bacterial maybe? If you have one die, you need to clean all the instruments and cages with soapy water that contains a capful of bleach, then rinse well. There may also be a increase of parasitic wasps or flies in your area this year. I had lost every one of the Queens I tried to raise one year to what I believe was OE, a bad microscopic disease. It happens....don't give up.

As for your current chrysalis, it depends on if it is nearing the time of eclosure. If tomorrow it is black all over then it will be fine. If it turns black only in one area, and gets worse the next day it is usually a goner.
Hope you will have a live one.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I just had a fun morning at the USF Fall Plant Festival. I mostly bought orchids but I also got a bromeliad and six pots of porterweed for my butterfly friends. As I left this morning, I caught the Monarch cat munching away. At the gardens there were lots of butterflies. I captured a Polydamas on plumbago, and a Gulf Fritillary resting on Mexican Sage. When I came home, another one of the Black STs had come out. When I was taking him outside I also saw the Monarch.

I had a Polydamas come out and his wing is a little messed up but I think he's ok to fly. I'm going to take him outside now.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Well, the Polydamas took right off so I guess his wing wasn't that bad. It was still wrinkly but I guess that was no deterrence to a determined butterfly. I finally managed to get a picture of one of the Zebra Longwings flying about. Here it is on jatropha.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I was contemplating what to eat for lunch when I heard a sound next to me - it was my Giant ST finally emerging! This has been quite a day for butterflies.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Hellooooo! Where is everybody?

Anyway, Mom found a Queen caterpillar yesterday and it immediately wandered around the cage and today made its chrysalis. Let's hope for a happy, healthy butterfly in a few days!

Melanie

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Saw a Palamedes ST today; haven't seen one in several months. I usually see them early in the spring and then again in the fall. This one is nectaring on plumbago.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong
Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

My sulfur cats...finally downloaded my pics of them.

Also I was over at Wekiva Springs camping and loved the spectacular display of wild flowers just covered with butterflies, mostly swallowtails. I could stay in that field of flowers all day long watching them. Any of you that live in Florida and can get a visit to the Wekiva State park you would just love the butterflies that gather there this time of year.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Portland, TX(Zone 9b)

Nice pics!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Great pics Melanie and sunkissed. I have 10 monarch chrysalis, 3 GST cats, and a lone sulphur. I have been busy with classes and volunteering. Also yesterday we cleaned out the vines on one side of the house that were taking over. We have a field trip today....so see you all..got to prepare.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Wandered around the yard this morning and found quite a bit of activity. First was this big, fat Monarch cat on my Giant Milkweed. The Zebra Longwings are still frolicking in the butterfly garden. They love that porterweed! A Long-Tailed Skipper was enjoying the duranta (and the porterweed - he kept going back around to each). And finally, I spotted an adult Monarch basking on the ground.

I also spotted Gulf Frits and a Cloudless Sulphur. For all you Monarch worriers, we have a healthy population down here in Florida!

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Found a couple of sulphur cats on the Senna ligustrina this afternoon.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong
Portland, TX(Zone 9b)

I haven't had much time to take pictures lately, but I have seen an influx of Monarchs, Queens, Fritillaries and Sulphurs lately. I have 1 queen and an variegated fritillary in my butterfly habitat waiting to eclose. We have had many successful releases lately and the kids are really enjoying watching the cats turn into butterflies and moths! Hopefully this weekend I will have some time to take pictures!

Keep them coming.

Russell

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.