Interesting palm, ID needed

noonamah, Australia

I was amazed to see this palm with a solitary trunk that at about 2 metres height branched into 6 trunks. Looked a bit like a huge candelabra. The trunk is distinctively ringed. Managed to get these photos but no ID. The first was taken on dusk and is a bit dark. But it does show the height up to where the branching starts. Anyone out there able to identify it. Thanks

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze Thumbnail by tropicbreeze Thumbnail by tropicbreeze Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

if I had to guess I would say it was an Archontophoenix alexandrae. Amazing palm!

noonamah, Australia

Thanks for the input Geoff. But I wouldn't have thought so. Just didn't seem to have that Alex look about it. I was thinking more along the lines of a Dypsis, but can't pick one. I should have just bowled up to the front door and asked the owners (if they knew, of course). It was in Cooktown, Qld, and I'm back home now. Another missed opportunity! Now curiosity is getting the better of me. "He who hesitates in lost", LOL.

noonamah, Australia

Geoff, looks like you are right, it appears it's Archontophoenix alexandrae. They say it's not unusual for those to sprout multiple heads after the top has been broken off by a cyclone. I guess with having 6 crowns to support the fronds look a little bit skimp for an Alex. Mine look a bit different.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.