This persicaria does well in shade

(Zone 4b)

This picture shows two "Golden Arrows" persicaria. For me they began to bloom in late August and it will continue into October. These plants receive very little direct sunlight and still they flower and their bright green foliage lights up a darker area. I really love this variety....highly recommended.

Thumbnail by rouge21
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

That is really gorgeous. And what a great fall blooming plant. Can there ever be enough of them?

(Zone 4b)

Thanks Donna. It is one of my favourite plants and because of this I have too many of them. In fact I bet I had already posted about this particular persicaria on DG prior to this new thread...a bit embarrassing if that is the case.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Ah, but I didn't catch it before! Better twice than not at all.

I love discovering new plants, especially the favorites of people who have things that I really like.

The color of the foliage with those bright pink wands is very striking for shady areas.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Rouge, I've been afraid to try persicaria again after being burned by an overly aggressive thug many years ago.
This one is well behaved?

(Zone 4b)

Exactly Cindy.

Weerobin, this particular periscaria is completely well behaved.

And it has been my experience that "Golden Arrow" does best in (much) less than full sun...say 3 to 4 hours of morning soleil.

Ach! I wish I got decent morning sun. Too many trees beyond the property line. Most of my sun comes in the afternoon.

(Zone 4b)

Cindy, if it is 3 to 4 hours of afternoon sun I would still go for it. In fact it is often advertised as "Full sun to part sun" so with adequate water it should work.

This summer, my afternoon sun has been quite hot and we've had far more sunny, clear days than normal. Maybe I could plant it further back towards the tree line to moderate. I'm still adjusting to the removal of two oaks last fall, letting a lot more light from the west into the various beds. Due to have another tree removed in a few weeks which will probably let in even more light. Only having trees removed for safety issues as they're getting pretty old with lots of dead wood.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.