Prepping Dahlias for Winter

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

There are so many new outfits, small individual ones, I wonder if dahlias are on the upswing. We even have a fellow out in the valley (Matanuska) who sells them. I keep forgetting he is there. Shame on me.

Mentor, OH

I just checked my stored tubers for only the third time since they were put away in November. I decided I wasn't going to be fanatical about checking them weekly like I have done in the past. They look fine so far. Probably 90% or more look like they did when I stored them. A few are slightly shriveled, but mostly the skinny ones. I just hope they don't start shriveling in March or early April like the ones did that my friends stored last year. I did have one bag that I must have covered with another bag on the bottom of the box and the top had folded over. When I saw condensation on the inside of the bag I knew what to expect. Unfortunately, I was right and 5 of the 6 John Bramletts inside were starting to rot. NOW, I remember why I used to check weekly. lol Oh well, my fault. I usually lose a few to shriveling each year but I can't really remember the last time I had any rot. It probably wouldn't have hurt to let them dry another day or so after I divided.

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

If you are all inclined we could move to here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1343830/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.