HELP... Areca / Royal Palm seeds

Boynton Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

Please help me tell the difference between mature arecas and immature Royals... I have arecas growing underneath Royals, and I think the Royals have sprouted and are growing among the arecas. I do not want any more Royals... how can I distinguish between them when they are all the same height (around 15 feet high). Some of them have big yellowish clusters of seeds... are these the Royals? Thanks for any help....

This message was edited Sep 6, 2012 10:02 AM

Boynton Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

Here is a current photo of the seeds. The color is a bit off... they are more orange than seen in the photo. Are these from a Royal palm? Thank you....

Thumbnail by 622Dixie
noonamah, Australia

Thise don't look like Royal seeds, but in any case you wouldn't get Royals flowering/seeding at that height. They're usually much taller when they start.

When you say "Areca" I assume you mean Dypsis lutescens, Golden Cane, and not an Areca species palm. The Golden Canes are a faster growing palm with slender and not so rigidly straight trunks.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9b)

I believe royal palm seeds would be red. Also a 15' Royal would look very different than an Areca. Could you post some pics of the trees?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.