My Dahlias

Athens, PA

Mary - ok, that makes sense. I have Chilson's Pride. My MIL gave her to me a couple of years ago and this is the first year it put out a flower. Mystery solved! Thanks.

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

I don't understand why it would go more than one year without blooming. Even some of the puniest ones that I have usually bloom and sometimes grow huge. I admit I still have six that have to open up but they do have buds enough to see their color. I wonder if the heat and drought has that much affect on your plants.

I ordered GIGGLES, HONEY DEW, ICEBERG, JAPANESE BISHOP, and LULLABYE . I am trying to increase the color spread as well as the type. I have one dark plant, Bishop of York and just love the contrast with yellow simple flowers. Japanese Bishop is dark with deep red flowers.

Athens, PA

I don't know Mary. Makes me wonder if I should look into fertilizing them. I have had it happen with other dahlias as well. Both this year was very hot and dry - I don't think that helps in the equation either. I know last year, most of my dahlias didn't realize their adult height when the flowered.

I do think I need to send you some of mine though - when you sent me dahlias last fall, we never had discussions of what I could send to you. I think we need to do so.

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

lol. Yes, that would be coals to new castle... I do think that fertilizing (which I am very inconsistent about) makes a huge difference. I did just a 10-10-10 spread once of twice this summer and I really think it made a difference. Dahlias are heavy feeders. I also think that adequate moisture is also needed.

Hey, let me know which ones did okay. I have some spares this year that you might like. I can post the list in a Dmail - perhaps you can do likewise.

Athens, PA

Mary - the only things I have ever fertilized are my roses, clematis and waterlilies. The only thing this year that was fertilized were the waterliliies. This was not a good garden year for me.

Sending you a dmail.

Carolyn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.