Sept. weather is finally cooling...

(Zone 7a)

New thread for Sept.

We got rain last night! Woohoo! .65" of the stuff.

We came from here...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1273499/

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Steady sprinkle, 79 degrees makes it to light rain off and on.,.ground still dry below the surface,grass is greening some and a few plants have returned to bloom and leaf ,Maybe some cooler and wetter for September if it keeps on as is ?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Beautiful day here, sunny & around 80º. We could use rain, but we will take this weather.
Big day at market, busier than any Saturday all summer!

Mountain View, HI

Our real Hawaiian summer never seems to last for more than 36 hrs. We had inch and a half of rain on Thursday. Frequent showers yesterday and more cloudy and showery weather today. Folks are starting to comment on what a wet summer it has been. Thankfully we do not get the heat. Seems to stay between the mid 60s and upper 70s. could do without the squishy garden.
Our local farmers market is getting some unusual items. Large Dragon fruit today. Last week was cashews still attached to the apple. Never seen that before but got hold of three to plant in pots. It was Ice Cream Beans a couple of weeks ago.
Plant stall had "brain bromeliads". Small green mound of rosettes shaped like a brain and about the same size. Next week the guy is going to bring me a couple of cuttings so I can grow my own brain for $2 rather than buy the whole thing for $8.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

It started raining at 3am and only quit an couple of hours ago although a light sprinkle or two still is coming down every so often. 70's Daytime temps in the low to mid 80's much cooler than last month ,although the nights are still staying mostly warm.
Lot of seedlings and older plants looking much better with all the rain.!

The "brain bromeliads" sound interesting , Kind of sounds like a tropical version of cactus stones.

The beginning of a little decortion

Thumbnail by juhur7
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Rain all day Friday and all day Saturday until just before sunset. Yesterday was warmer with lots of sunshine and today is hot and humid.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Another 90º day here. No wind, high humidity, ouch!

Same here Bernie!! We have another chance of rain in the wee hours later tonight. We had a storm pass thru this morning that was noisy and full of lightening. No complaints here thou. We need the rain so bad!!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Nice rain last night. To dark to check the gauge yet, but weather site shows nearly an inch.

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

super rain over last weekend down here too..
yea.. lawn is singin..and singin.. :)
nothing like a good rainstorm to pep things up..
early morning temps have been high 50sF ..sure feels good..
mountains have so little water in the soil though.. scrub oak up in
mts are already turning colour.. im guessing they will drop fast too..
:( not a pretty fall this yr im thinking.. :(

(Zone 7a)

Leaves in my yard are starting to turn, too. 55º when I checked at 7:30am.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

½" in our rain gauge.

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

wow..leaves changing even in the valley..sigh..
my friends that are growing pumpkins this yr (i didnt this yr)
say that they have already turned orange..some are slipping off the
vines.. way to soon..
i think this freak summer weather has all of us..plants incluced ..mixed
up.. sigh...
ya.. suns out strong here now..so i moved some of my super tender tropicals
outside.. oh i need a greenhouse !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still hot and humid here. Highs in the mid 90s.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

90'S day 70's night rained here all morning, that is four days in a row, I was beginning to believe that wasn't possible anymore!!
Made the Dr. Wyche tomato plant happy too!!! This is dangerous, this weather from drought, I'm happy when the vegetables are happy ? Hmmm..I hope that is only a passing boredom.lol

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

It is raining here this evening Still warm humid most of the day ,lots of mosquitoes . I love the rain not the bugs, or that fall plants that are real small get beat half pieces ..Yeah I know but it happens.!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

thunder ,lightning , hail, currently 80degrees. cool winds brrrr!

Rain went thru earlier. Didn't last long but loved every minute of it. Cool front has moved thru also so it's much nicer out!!

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Still not raining here,, but the temps are down to 80F and the nights are chilly.

Mountain View, HI

Friday and Saturday were calm with on and off showers as upper level lower brushed past the state interrupting our Tradewinds

Yesterday it rained all day, some light misty rain some moderate periods and a couple of showers heavy enough to make noise on the roof, but grey and wet all day.

This morning its a brilliant sunny start to the day. Clear blue sky, gentle breeze. Who knows what tomorrow will bring..

(Zone 7a)

Just had a smal pop-up storm brush by us. A little rain, a little boom boom but not much else. 73º

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

hope youre getting some of this rain up in WVC kwanjin...
its been raining here for almost 2 hrs.. yea!!!
it did rain pretty heavy for a bit..but..last hr its been good rain..slows..then starts
up again..
its comming down pretty good right now..7:10pm
i can hear the grass singin out there.. LOL :)
hope sarasota springs doesnt get mud slides..again.. .:(
i think were to get rain again tomorrow.. would be nice..
bring it on !!!!

(Zone 7a)

Ours are sort of hit or miss now. Two minutes here, 3 minutes there...maybe later tonight?

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

54°/87°/58°
Sunny to partly cloudy. Warm. Winds S at 15 to 25 mph.

It has been non-stop busy for the last couple of months. I've been sleeping in a bit in the mornings, LOL! I am out at DD's a lot, spending the night when her DH is out on a semi run.

We took the Grandsons to Maquokata Caves Saturday and had a good time! The bats have been infected with a White Nose Fungus. It makes them itch, which wakes them up in the winter. They either starve or freeze, trying to find bugs to eat. We had to listen to a small talk from a DNR person and got to pet a long dead bat :o) Then we had to step on a mat soaked with something before we entered and left the park. There is none in Illinois, but it's spread from the east. The caves had water but were supprisingly dry. The bats sleep in the trees in the summer so we didn't see any. It was a great day!

I spent yesterday weeding. We had 1 &7/10'' of rain lately and I'm still thanking God for saving us. Our rivers are almost dry. I think you could walk across all of them without going in over your head. Scary!

Last night I read a book my SIL lent us called ''The Oxford Project.'' There is a town callled Oxford, not far from here. Population in 1984, 693. They photographed 670 of the town's people. 20 years later they re-photographed everyone again. Each person told a bit about their life. All very relaxed and candid. The storied are heartfelt. One little girl ws dropped off because her circus performer parents couldn't care for her any more. She was fostered. Many had died.

The garden is growing again. It's finally cool enough for the green peppers to actually grow. I picked most of them last night. Charlie oiled my kraut stomper andd board so I'll be making sauerkraut tomorrow. Today I hope to finish weeding the bed I was working on.

This must have hatched out here. I saw it on my bedroom screen. Later I ran to my neighbor's to water and it was on her sedum. I ran back and got my camera. It's a Mourning Cloak. I've never had one before!

Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter

Cool nights and mornings and warm afternoons is our current trend. Fall is arriving!!!

Mountain View, HI

Yesterday turned from brilliant sunshine to cloudy and rainy by noon. Today has been really nice. Sunny with passing clouds and a light breeze.

20th anniversary of Hurricane Iniki hitting Kauai today. News channels are full of flashbacks. 10 years prior to that we had Hurricane Ewa. Always keeping our eyes scanned for the next one.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

58°/64°/43°
Overcast with showers at times. Winds NNE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

It's windy!

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

rains last week were great !!
wow what a difference 2 weeks makes.. this morning 6am..it was 52F
chilly.. LOL
sun was out today..it was a nice day.. i was "supposed" to mow the lawn today..
oops.. tomorrow..
i dont think it got to 80F today.. we might going into the weekend..
i did check out NOAA weather forcasts.. they put their new forcasts out around the
10th of each month..
they forcast dry..dry..for us.. sigh.. hope not.. but theyve been really good on their
forcasting..

We have had over a 30 degree drop in temps overnight. Yesterday we were in the 80s and today we barely reached 60. Got a little bit of rain tonight too. So not complaining here!!!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

much ,much cooler, rained a few hours this morning.nice fall getting ready to begin. Cloudy all day,50's to about 70 degrees.
I seem to enjoy this kind of weather!

Same weather as juhur. I'm loving it!!!

(Zone 7a)

We're the same as Tropicalnut. Cooler but not too cool and cooler at night. I actually closed a window last night.

Mountain View, HI

Trade winds are lighter, showers are few and far between and should stay this way for a couple of days. Quite pleasant.

Temps in the low 70s all weekend and cloudy here at the house but sunny in the city.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Drizzle around 70, no wind just an old gray, fall, calm day,I wish I felt like doing more outside as it is a great evening for that!!!

Mountain View, HI

Nice mornings, showery wet afternoons, temps low 70's light winds.

At least its easier to rake up wet bamboo leaves. Dry ones are like pushing around wheelbarrows full of feathers.

Cloudy off and on all day. Warmish most of the day til rain moved in the area. Just got sprinkles though.

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

weve been having mid 80sF last couple days.. nice for my tropicals.. getting a
bit more growing in before frost hits..
nites are high 50sF lately.. we did have some high 40sF last week..no frosts..
i think were to stay in this weather for bit.. im enjoying it..
great sleeping weather..we have several fires going on around..the air is lousy..
i could barely see mts the other day..so much smoke..yuck..

Mid 60s for high here today with lows in the mid 40s last night. We should stay in the high 40s, low 50s tonight and be in the mid 70s tomorrow. All in all very nice fall weather.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

68 today 40 or below for tonight,it is cold outside now, 70,72 forecast for tomorrow,rained some more yesterday. Except for tonight's low the weather is looking and feeling good
Did someone say they missed that 100 degree week a month or so ago?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.