End of summer flowers

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes Jill those MG's - God love em...once you have them...you always have them...LOL Pretty cheery blooms that they are.

Here we go for the end of summer bloomers...
1. NOID Crinum 'Podster' blessed me with a few years back...packs an amazing nighttime punch of fragrance. Think of a citrus/lily cross....Mmmm
2. Passi and PB shrub...between the two...my yard is rather filled...LOL - LOVE the scents
3. PB shrub is STILL blooming (white blooms) - flutterflies are thrilled

Thumbnail by Chantell Thumbnail by Chantell Thumbnail by Chantell
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

OH oh oh, Chantell wanted to tell you my PB shrub has some blooms. I was so surprised I wasn't expecting it to bloom this year.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Yipeee....glad to hear that Holly! When she gets bigger that scent will fill a large area of your yard - more so at night than during the day (it's that 'white' bloom thang again - LOL). I'm wondering if some of the PB babies I passed on weren't '2 yr olds' that I didn't notice last year. I just don't think mine bloomed the first year someone blessed me with her. Must be your's and Ric's green magic!!!

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

So nice to see that there are still so many things blooming.

The bloom on this really surprised me. I put a bunch of pots in the garage last year and didn't mark them. All the rest have already bloomed (Callas, Begonias, Canna etc). I can't believe that I actually have a Tuberose blooming.

Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Roses...bet that scent is divine!!

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

I don't think anything compares to it, Chantell.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Re 'Tree Topping' - http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3881/

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

My opinion of tree topping is if you have to top it shouldn't t be there.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Or take the time to 'thin' it...that may not be the right word but I just feel it would be better for the tree. Maybe those more knowledgeable than I will chime it

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ric topped a good sized black walnut that was shading our pool. I think he was hoping it would die but it didn't and actually looks pretty good.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

That'll learn him...LOL Hopefully your tree looked better than the ones I have to look at on my way out and on my way back....

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I will admit to occasional guilt of the same about trimming things , only the the nature of the business and being quick is that tree trimmers are'" CHAIN SAW HAPPY"!!! The trees and our eyes often are not as to the result!
OH well , I am off to plan about who to assault with a tree planting referendum.lol

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

wow Chantell--- Now thats a concept- PB shrub and passi together and let them duke it out. I am pleasantly and very surprised at how much that young PB shrub has grown while I was not looking!! You can advise me on where to plant- thinking it will take the place of my sick Japanese maple. That would be kinda near my bedroom window, for mild summer nights--AHHH!

In fact- there are pics of one grown in 'tree form'
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/346920/

This message was edited Sep 6, 2012 9:18 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Glad to learn that the PB shrub does its smelly-goodness thing at night... that will affect where I plant it, for sure! Might have to make a spot for it in the deck bed, maybe put it in the corner when the banana (yes, I'm down to 1! LOL) comes out this fall.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Houston: we have a problem....SIZE!!!!! I'm going to have to do some ummm pruning next spring....have mercy....I hope it handles pruning. My townhouse back yard is not quite up to handling a full sized tree. I mean it's called a shrub....I missed the original memo on it's possible size...gulp. Yes, definitely night scented - I don't detect much of any fragrance prior to dusk approaching,

Tree form yes but small tree, and i will bet it d be very happy getting hard pruned like butterfly bush almost and growing back out
Have to check for buds on mine in the am

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

All of you-----

I have a question that, actually, goes back to the May Swap at Holly's.

I have a memory of asking for--and someone giving me a start of a Mock Orange.
I remember thinking that someone at work had lamented that these cannot be found anymore,
so I asked for one because someone was offering one.

I came home with several little pots of "things" that I had not really asked for--like Beebalm.
Remember planting these here and there...they were in a 4" pot.

I am attaching a picture of one of these plantings--it is NOT a Beebalm.
Could this be the Mock Orange baby??? Hope someone knows.
If it is--it cannot stay in this tiny place it was planted! I had nowhere else to put it at the time
so I stuck it between a rock and a hard place....:o)

Thanks, Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal

I'm not sure.... I offerred some Mock orange this spring but I have to check my previous swap list. I only had 2 to give. The one I kept has shot up a long stem like that. But so has my Wintersweet.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Here's mock orange..
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/10049/

Your plant looks almost like honeysuckle

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I'll take a pic of the two I was given and post this weekend (maybe tonite), Gita

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

sweet autumn clem

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jen--

I would not have asked for either a Honeysuckle nor a SAC.
Maybe it was late and people were trying to get rid of things and I, somehow, ended up with this one.

Yooo--Hooo---Jill---
Does this look like a Sw. Aut, Clem.???? Anyone???? see picture above..

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I wasn't suggesting yours was a clem, I was just showing mine off

Gita I forgot to look at mine. If you like, throw yours in a little pot and bring it to swap. If it is or isn't someone might ID it or take it.

Found ya.
'gardadore' also had mockorange suckers on her Haves at Holly and Rics. I do think this thing you have "could" be a mockorange. But not the one I shared.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Just checked Mockorange on PF.

Not too many listed.....There were a couple with pointed leaves...but not too visible.
Every photo was more a close-up of the blooms.

Will bring it......Gita

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Gita - yes, Jen's photo is a SAC. I finally got to smell the scent folks talk about this weekend. Very pretty...but I'm telling y'all - the one I had and gave to Jill (I think) I could not detect a scent on. Who knows. Gita, back to your Mock Orange 'might be' - I will do my best before going to bed to upload the pics off my camera and post what my smaller one looks like. The photo is only of leaves so maybe that will help a little.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hmm. There's a little un-tagged shrub out in the nursery pots area I've been wondering about... maybe it's Chantell's Mock Orange! Weird about it having no scent... but I have a witch hazel that I planted by the corner of teh deck so I could enjoy the "wondrous fragrance" of its early blooms... zilch. nada. I wonder if it's grown too big to move? I'd rather have Chantell's PB shrub in its spot! Maybe if I prune it back pretty hard in fall before digging it up... it'll be fine back in the tree line, just no reason for it to occupy a prime "near the windows" spot.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Jill...sorry about my post...guess it's a tad confusing. It was my SAC that I thought had no scent. I seem to remember you getting it...but maybe it was someone else. Glad to hear your exp with the witch hazel b/c that's been on my "wants" for a bit due to what I'd read about it's fragrance. It's now official scratched off. Good thing too...God knows where I'd find room for another shrub/tree. I came home from my medicine makers class yesterday with a vitex tree sapling (berry tincture is supposedly great for just about all female issues) and I'm thinking hmmmm - where did I dream this was going? Ugh!! I'm using the hill behind my house. I think I'll baby it till next spring before planting though...

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

My now-gone-and-unlamented Sweet Autumn Clematis came from Brushwood, I'm pretty sure. What a thug! Scent was present, but slight. I do think some witch hazels are probably fragrant, but I would buy one in Feb/March when blooming to be sure!

Buckeye enjoying end of summer blooms on a sedum (Joyanna says the big cushiony blooms are "very pattable")

Thumbnail by critterologist Thumbnail by critterologist
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Holly's blue pickerel plant (it's sharing a 20 inch pot with a hardy water lily),
morning glory (Grandpa Ott maybe?) peeking in window (took over the Lonicera americana),
Obedient plant (Physostegia) with variegated leaves

Thumbnail by critterologist Thumbnail by critterologist Thumbnail by critterologist Thumbnail by critterologist Thumbnail by critterologist
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Loverly and I agree with Joyanna. They are very pattable.

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

...pattable...too cute lol

we have lots of blooms now. I'm thrilled that our Plumeria from NOLA is finally (after 3 years) blooming. Every year I move the pot to a different location hoping to find the right spot and it's blooming on the porch!!! I've always wanted to see it in person. I've seen bloom pics over the years here on DG and I've always loved them.

our Job's Tears just started putting out "bead" seeds. That's another favorite too.

and Critter, we LOVE all the wonderful tomatoes from you. We've had the best tomato season ever thanks to your plants. Thanks again so much.

Thumbnail by wind Thumbnail by wind Thumbnail by wind

ooh, a sincere but jealous congrats Diana!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Gorgeous Red - Diana. How's the scent on that baby?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Lovely! I'm going to try Sally's way with my plumie this winter, keeping it semi-dormant rather than pulling it for full dormancy. Maybe I'll finally get a bloom. I'm not sure I have any idea what color it's supposed to be any more... would have to check back several years...

Diana, I'm glad the tomato plants did well for you this summer... they did squat-all here, zero, zip, nada. Peppers weren't much better, but at least we got a few. So my veggie bed got totally neglected, and I've been having fun playing with the perennial garden areas (undergoing a total overhaul).

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

1. Part of the garden
2. Another part of the garden
3. Japanese Anemone
4. Another Japanese Anemone
5. Berries on Chinese Dogwood

This message was edited Sep 17, 2012 2:45 PM

Thumbnail by donnerville Thumbnail by donnerville Thumbnail by donnerville Thumbnail by donnerville Thumbnail by donnerville

Very nice!

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

1. Morning Glory
2. Corydalis 'Berry Exciting'
3, Sedum 'Neon'
4. Plectantrus 'Mona Lavender' -- many thanks to Judy
5. Pepper 'Black Pearl'

This message was edited Sep 17, 2012 3:12 PM

Thumbnail by donnerville Thumbnail by donnerville Thumbnail by donnerville Thumbnail by donnerville Thumbnail by donnerville

Oh you weren't done yet! And VERY pretty.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.