Homemade Tomato Sauce

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Anybody have tips, suggestion, pointers, preferences, reciepes for homemade tomato sauce?

I have an abundance of tomatos most of which are not the "prettiest" and I need to put them to use. I would greatly appreciate any help as I have not attempted this before.

Thanks!
Paul

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/984/

I've been putting my paste tomatos right in the freezer, whole. Someday I'll get them all out and make this.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Paul: I don't follow a recipe, but as I recall it is really easy -- cook up some onions in olive oil -- maybe add garlic. Peel the tomatoes (do this by dropping them in boiling water for 60 seconds -- the skin will come off easily). Cut them up and drop them in the onions. (Many people say to squeeze out and discard the juice first, but I don't.) Cook for a while. Salt and pepper to taste; add basil if you have it. Cool and freeze.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

It is pretty easy, this recipe is pretty close to how I've done it, I do add oregano to it
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/homemade-tomato-sauce-i/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=tomato%20sauce&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Thank you!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

For all you lucky stiffs with good tomato harvests this year, my friend Irene has a great trick for no-cook thick tomato sauce. Wash & core tomatoes & cut them into chunks, then blend briefly. Run through food mill to remove seeds & skins. This will usually yield a fairly thin sauce, but if you let it sit overnight it will separate... Ladle the thick sauce off the top, use the juice at the bottom for drinking or freeze/can for soup. The thick sauce can just be heated & canned, or you can cook it with onions, herbs, etc., and then can (water bath is fine as long as you don't use much olive oil).

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Jill forgot the last bit of the directions - when you've completed the previous steps invite everyone over for a pasta potluck...LOL

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I like that last directive!!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Jill, I'm glad you posted Irene's trick. Both you and Theresa have told me about it several times, but for some reason I can't seem to remember it. When I make and can sauce (boiling water bath) from my tomatoes, it tastes good but is way too thin. Actually, I was going to re-ask you yet again, but now I have it bookmarked for posterity! Thanks :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.