Planting today

Orange, CA

What are you going to plant today?

My garden is fried. What have you been able to do in the garden during this hot spell?

Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Sadly, I didn't keep things watered well this summer, so I've lost some of my plants.
But I was excited to discover that my tuberoses and amaryllis belladonnas are happily flowering :) In fact, the amaryllis belladonna wants water withheld during the summer while it is dormant, so I actually did this part right! Yay!
Michelle

Orange, CA

Well that is good GQ-to have a few plants doing favorably. THis long heat wave is discouraging.

Hang in there... The rains will come :) And in the meantime, we can contemplate what we want to start growing when that time comes. Perhaps this is our equivalent to the rest of the country's looking through catalogs during the winter when it's too cold for them to garden.
Michelle

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Ha! the catalogs don't list much in our zone 10. Very frustrating...

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Aint that the truth. There are lots of thing in those catalogs that will grow here but they never include our zone(s) in their listings. And yet at the same time, Armstrong Nurseries here sell Peonies and Lilacs. Go figure.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Well, Peonies and Lilacs that have been bred for warmer climates MIGHT grow in some of the canyons....certainly not here in the flood plain tho. I actually have a peony in my garden. It gets about 6" high every year. LOL!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

My sister in Camarillo bought one of those lilacs years ago. It got ONE miniscule deformed flower on it about the size of a dime...ONCE ! LOL
"Flood plain" is right. When we get those heavy rains here I have to pump water out of my garden and into the alley for days at a time. LB has a very high water table.

Check out www.easytogrowbulbs.com
Perhaps you'll find some things you like there :) They specialize in growing bulbs and plants for gardeners in warmer climates.
Michelle

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.