AUGUST! Autumn is surely not far behind! (We hope)

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Genna, if Kyle really is interested in a tri, tell him to join up with a group training session. That's what my daughter did and she got some great training and buddies to train with. They really helped train for the specific events like swimming. The swim is first and they teach how to 'save' your legs for the bike and run. She signed up with 'Fleet Feet', a running store that runs the clinics for a small fee. They also have group bike rides and runs once a week. She had a friend who was a swimmer who also helped her train in the beginning that really helped her. She loved the biking the most but swimming ended up a close second. She and some girlfriends are going to Florida in a few weeks to do one there too. Their goal is to do 3 each year to stay in training and then do some 5k runs and maybe train for a 10k to keep up their running.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Thanks everyone! I have a long list of stuff I want to accomplish, but needless to say with Leigh's surgery, I haven't gotten very far on it. Seems like there is always something vying for our time! But, hopefully I will get a few things done. I need to TOTALLY redo that bed that I fought so hard to get cleaned out this spring! I put down new mulch, etc and it looks like it hasn't been weeded in years! I don't know how I will ever keep it up! :( The bermuda and nut grass are back with a vengence!!

Elaine, how does he find such a group? I know he is serious about it, and he just ordered a new bike offline that is supposed to be in this Friday. Not sure how much free time he will have, but he loves to stay competitive in sports.

I am headed home to try to help Leigh get his first shower, and if we survive that, we are headed back to Arkadelphia to have supper with the kids and take some things they need to them. Maybe I can remember to look for those moonflowers - they should be open by the time we get there!!

Genna

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Genna don't know about Arkadelphia but here you just ask around (people you know that participate in sports) and there are all kinds of groups that meet. Is there a bike store in town? Like Elaine mentioned - a local running shoe store? Other kids at school. I bet Kyle can figure it out.

Sarah and I just joined a group of ladies that hike two Saturdays a month Oct - May. I have a friend that bikes with a group. Lots of running groups here.

This message was edited Aug 23, 2012 6:19 PM

Genna, yes, tell him to look for a running store, like Charlotte suggested, or look for a local running club. Huntsville has the Huntsville Track Club so I'm sure there is one in the local area or at the college or somewhere close by. If there is an indoor pool where he can practice, that would also be a good place to inquire. Usually there are some team entries too, in the triathlons, so if he's not ready to swim yet, he could do the bike part and link up with a couple of other guys with one doing the swim and another doing the run. Some of the team entries take the 'best' of the 3 for the final score. This is the time of year when the tri's start up so tell him to get going! By the way, I know what you mean about keeping up with the weeds! This summer weather has been good for the weeds. And last year! Don't remind me! I had a good patch going that I had to wait until fall came to get cleaned up.

Charlotte, your Jake sounds like my youngest brother! He is quite the chef now when he has time and he would cook like that when he was home in high school and home from college. I think my mother really missed him when he would go back. He's now in his 50's and man, he's the bomb when it comes to cooking! He definitely could hold his own with some of the better known chefs.

Ripley, MS

Happy Birthday, Charlotte, have some fun today !

Have a very Happy Birthday today, Charlotte!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the birthday wishes!!

Just had to show you what I harvested today! I'm so excited about the sweet potatoes. I didn't think they would be ready for several more weeks. When I watered tonight I caught something orangy looking and thought maybe it was a carrot. When I checked I discovered all these sweet potatoes had worked there way to the surface and the tops were exposed! Should be lots more in there somewhere! Getting ready to pickle the jalapeno.

Thumbnail by cperdue
Montrose, AR(Zone 8a)

Ms Charlotte hope you had a great BD and your veggies look yummy..I love fresh sweet potatoes..A gentleman from our church brought me some they were fantastic.. I really have to spend some time raising a veggie garden next year..I grew a few squash and watermellons(love these) this year but the rest was flower gardens i tended to.I think next year I will incorporate my veggies in with my garden instead of keeping it seperate..That way I can kill 2 birds with one stone...Well im off the nursing home to see my Granny. Hope you all have a great day and may God bless you all. Trish

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Trish, hope you are feeling better and that the leg is mending nicely!! Those veggies sure look nice! I can't keep up with the beds I have. I had wanted to add some raised veggies beds next year but I am not sure at this point. My flower beds look like they havent been touched in years and I had the big one super clean back in May!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

The rain hit here about 1. Been raining every since. I was in Hancock's around 4:30 and the transformer across the street blew up 3 times. Big balls of fire shot up and the power kept going off. Our power at home went off a little while ago and is still off. The wind doesn't seem that bad so not sure what the problem is!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Stay safe!!!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

The rain from Isaac didn't hit here until the wee hours of this morning. When I checked the rain gauge a little bit ago, there was .65 inch of rain in it. It is currently misting but we are supposed to get more rain and heavier rain later today. It is welcome as we are still behind on rainfall up here. It's just too bad that Isaac has caused destruction and death along the Gulf coast. :(

Charlotte, those veggies look great! Enjoy!

Trish: sure hope you are "on the mend". That was a nasty episode with your leg!

Sure hope all our Mid-South friends who were in Isaac's path are safe!

I've been enlarging our front flower bed (the one in the middle of the front yard--not the one up against the house). There is a commercial mushroom place here and Al is going to go get a load of the mushroom mulch. I hope to have the new bed ready for the plants I am getting at the RU.
Here is a photo of the new area. Al is going to cut down the mimosa tree later this fall. It is huge but it makes a big mess and we have like a "kajillion" baby mimosa trees coming up everywhere. It was somewhat foggy the morning I took this photo.

Thumbnail by marsue
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Still raining here. Still no power. Been out for 11 hours. Iw. My fish are struggling, I've been going out and stirring the water every now and then. Doesn't seem that bad but we live in an area with lots of large trees. I checked Entergy's web site and lots of customers without power in my zip code and those surrounding me. Off to find coffee somewhere!

Ripley, MS

We will do our best to fill it up for you Marilyn!

Ripley, MS

Cross posted, Charlotte, maybe they will get you some power back soon

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I have been thinking about getting solar power panels and generate my own electric. I would save a fortune. You don't have to do a monthly check of it like on the whole house generators that I looked at. They seem to be more trouble than they are worth. With the solar panels it saves the energy to batteries and that covers times that the sun is not shining. Now I just have to talk Jim into it. LOL!!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

That solar power deal is sounding better all the time !!! Got another automated call from entergy and it seems a tree has fallen down in our area causing extensive damage and they have had to send for reinforcements. Estimating our power to be back on by 8 pm to ight!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Charlotte posted a little earlier on FB that she has power again. Thank goodness for that!

Thanks, Sandra. I know my DG friends can always be depended upon for lots of things, including plants!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Yes they finally got my power back on. However everyone across the street from me all the way down to the end of the cul de sac is still without power. They are not happy! The problem is the result of a sick tree that should have been taken down long ago. It was in the yard of the one neighbor that has little to do with us. The tree broke off at the ground and fell onto his metal storage building and on to the fence of his next door neighbor barely missing her house. It snapped the wiring to her meter and also took out the main line in the easement behind the houses. They had to reseat the pole as it was about to fall and rehook all the wiring! Somehow they were able to flip some switch and get power to us on my side of the street. It was an act of nature but the neighbors feel it was something that might could have been avoided if he had the tree removed some time ago. Seems it's been basically dead for a number of years and one big limb had already fallen and done some damage.

Haven't had anything I thought worth sharing in a while but here is my yellow shrimp plant. For some reason it seems to thrive in almost total shade.

Thumbnail by cperdue
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I'm glad that you got your electric back. It always seems that the few that don't tend the maintenance of their property always seems to cost other people plenty!!!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

It took 9 utility trucks and 1 tree service truck to get power back to us. All but one of the utility trucks were from Michigan. My across the street neighbors didn't get their power back on until about 9 tonight. The top of the tree that fell is now on top of his neighbors fence (damaged it) and hanging over into her yard. He has not apologized for the mess or offered to help her clean it up or anything!! Just acting like he knows nothing about it! Strange people - not friendly!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Charlotte there was a lot of that going on after Gustav here. People were afraid that you would hold them responsible for what their tree damaged, then the governor announced that each person was responsible for their own damage. At Evergreen, my big park, my neighbor's tree fell on one of my mobile homes, I cleaned up the mess and paid for all repairs. Don't you know that same tree dropped another limb on the same mobile home. I again paid for the damages, I asked him to trim his tree to where it did not fall again on my property but he has not. GRRR!!!! I can't touch it. Does that sound right?

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Jeri some people are just not responsible! Just reminded me that when I was out walking a few weeks ago I noticed a tree that was totally dead and was leaning. I noticed a couple of people out visiting by the street just a few houses down and stopped and pointed out the dead tree. Turned out one of the ladies lived in the house next door to the tree and the way the tree was learning it was going to end up on her house if it fell. They were actually discussing the problem. Seems they had repeatedly asked the person to do something about the dead tree to no avail. They were going to report it to the city and see if they would make them do something about it. Don't know the outcome.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Ladies: it is September and time for a new thread.

Please join us over here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1278081/

NEW THREAD NEW THREAD NEW THREAD NEW THREAD NEW THREAD NEW THREAD NEW THREAD

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1278081/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.