mg doesn't want to bloom

Morristown, NJ(Zone 6a)

This is a grey mist colored mg. Started by seed in late April. Growing like a champ. Not fertilizering. She just wont bloom. Im I just being to impatient?

Thumbnail by Moda127 Thumbnail by Moda127
Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Hi Moda, I think it should be blooming by now. Although I have some
taking that long too. I think I would fertilize with super bloom or maybe a 15-30-15, It can't hurt and might speed
up your blooms. Looks like its getting plenty of sunshine.

(Zone 7a)

Nice to see you here, Moda - coincidentally and some time ago, I bookmarked a thread you started in another forum that has been my bible for deer-resistant perennials - thank you.

Regarding morning glories, I agree with everything Patootie said - your plant looks well cared for, no evident stress. This is just to emphasize that Ipomoea nil vines vary so much with respect to how quickly or how slowly they flower from seed. I have seen the same thing in my garden - some just insist on taking their good ol' time flowering from seed.

Star of India is usually among the first to flower from seed in my garden, while certain vines with yellow cicada leaves - like a blue Kikyou and a Keiryu-like one in my garden - don't peak before September. Does your vine have 'gold' leaves as your camera shows? Those leaves look just like the Keiryu-like one in my garden.

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Like bluespiral hinted at—photoperiodism is often a significant factor for flower production. With the gradual increase in natural darkness as we head toward autumn, I think that should help trigger the blooming response (in addition to what patootie wrote!). :-)

Morristown, NJ(Zone 6a)

Thank you so much! I will be patient... and add a little super bloom.

(Zone 7a)

Moda - hope you keep us posted on how things turn out for you

Nick - thank you for giving such a succinct, on-topic definition of photoperiodism - I'm going to link this thread through your post to photoperiodism in the sticky.

To All - following is a hilarious (to me, at least) thread on photoperiodism, with some practical examples of how to exclude light in artificially-induced, successively shorter day-lengths of light exposure in order to force an MG to bloom - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1062340/?hl=photoperiod

Newtown, CT

Hi,
My MG looks exactly like yours. I also planted it in April, I fertalized it but mine won't bloom either. I'm so glad I have a trial subscription or I never would have seen this. Now I know to be patient like you, Moda.

Morristown, NJ(Zone 6a)

Hi Claregirl, Welcome - this site is so useful! I got maybe 3 flowers since this post, I added some bloom fertizer. The plant itself is still growing like a monster, just not flowering as it should. Still being patient ;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.