August 2012, very hot and very dry.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Here is a Hummingbird in the front yard a few minutes ago! It's only 13 seconds long. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7ZDze30gmA&list=HL1345337096&feature=mh_lolz
Will

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I havn"t seen many Hummers this year ,about the the time you threaded that link I saw two of them feeding on the bronze fennel, not the favorite they are use too ,only It seemed to be making them happy.indeed, Happy Hummingbirds!!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I think the numbers are down because the food sources are a bit scarce this year. I haven't noticed a change in numbers here but then I'm out in the country with plenty of food besides what we feed them.

I am now hooked on seeing the hummers! I wonder what we have here? I just noticed this growing in with my Hydrangea. It looks like the Persimmon tree right above it! I looked all around the base for an actual persimmon, but didn't see one, it may have been whisked off by a hungry squirrel! -

I took a photo of the Prickly-Pear, so I can look back and look at the before photo maybe, it the cuttings take off like I hope. -

And here is my Cholla, I did the same cutting thing to it a while back, well, a few days ago. -

I don't think there's much non-fried stuff here left for birds or anything to eat. I was putting up a miniblind (and looking out the window) and a hummer was investigating a Mimosa flower, it's the only flower on the tree! I guess the hummer wasn't having it, it flew off! I don't see how even that one flower could have anything watery in it.

Although, it has rained a few times lately, maybe 1/100th of an inch each time, maybe the plants and wildlife put it to good use or something somehow.

Well, them ol' dishes ain't going to wash themselves I guess!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

We have wild grapes right now for the birds. Then coneflower and rudibeckia seed heads. Walnuts I think are starting to drop, saw one yesterday by the 3 bird baths we have. lol

You definitely have more wild food for them than is here, pepper. I've already cut off and replanted my seedheads from the Coneflowers, I need more, my 2 plants aren't enuff for me. We put out birdseed for them pretty regularly.
A Youtube friend of mine sent me a few cuttings of Golden Pothos for my houseplant collection, I am giddy, I tell you! I am ashamed, but last Winter I tore off a Pothos leaf at Walmart or somewhere trying to start it but it didn't do it, I sure hope these cuttings take, Golden Pothos is a neat plant.

I did a little more power-washing and painting on the deck today, after school, (not k-12, I'm old..lol). I power-washed, NOT washed, there's a difference..lol Haha.. it was on pavement and the deck so nothing got broke like the commercial!

Here is some houseplants watching the buffoon paint!

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Hope you guys are ready for the rain!! Everyone around here should get some this weekend.

I've been fighting a cold this week. Everyone at work has pretty much been hit and we had around 7 people today alone fighting colds.

I hope none of you are close to any of the grass fires that are popping up all over the area.

That would sure be nice, I am ready! Nbc Action News (41) is forecasting good chances of rain Saturday and Sunday here too. - http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast

I was kinda wondering what was burning before, until they said a 3 - 4 square mile grass fire. It's not much like Western states here, there aren't millions of trees everywhere here. It's still a fire, I hope they get it under control soon, it could still burn down houses and everything. - http://www.kshb.com/dpp/news/state/missouri/massive-grass-fire-burning-in-caldwell-co

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

I can't believe I lost you all. Couldn't believe there wasn't anyone chatting. There aren't many threads come up for me to read when I get on. Everyone must be playing outside. PxceTL our temps are back to the low 90's with light rains, 1/4-1/3 of an inch. We are expecting rain for the next 4 days. 70% chances on Sat and Sun. They aren't calling for a lot of rain, but we are in the Exceptional Drought are which is the one above Extreme. I don't know how they figure because the numbers don't add up, but the weatherman said 46% of the state was in the Exceptional category and 90% was in the Extreme.
Thanks for the advice on the chickens. I had read about putting the chicken wire 16" into the ground. We can't do that here because there are so many rocks. DH is putting angle iron on the bottom and 2 more 12" apart. We are then going to put the chicken wire out a ways and put some of the big rocks we have here around the outside of pen. We had planned on covering part of the top with tin for some shade and protection from the elements, but maybe we need to use tin all the way down. Hadn't thought of something coming in from the top. Right now my chics are free range in the yard during the day, and put in their cage at night. Since there are only 3, they fit really well in there. It is like 20" wide and 2 1/2 feet long with really small holes in the wire. I feel they are pretty safe in there. DH is building the coop like a 'fortress'! LOL He has all kinds of stuff put up to attach the wire too and the frame is super sturdy. I'll take some pics tomorrow.
Will, if you need more Rose Moss, just let me know. I am constantly pulling it out of pots that have something else in them. lol I reuse dirt so I get the seeds all over. BTW, the Rose of Sharon have put on some really good roots. I'm going to pot them up soon.
I've been down for about 3 days. I was turning out of my bedroom door and felt something slip in my back. It has pinched a nerve so I have been taking it easy and using a cane to get around. I needed to water my pots 3 days ago, but just couldn't do it. Today was a little better so I watered, but I'm not sure some are going to make it. Grrrrrrr Al least the temps have been in the low 90's, so hoping they will perk back up. I have an appt. with my pain management dr. Tuesday for my 3 month injection so have to Praise the Lord for that!!!!!! He gets booked months in advance and is even hard to get in on an emergency basis. I should be better after that. I hope! I have several things that I need to do in the gardens and put some plants in larger pots.
Here are some pics to share. 1. Joker Amarylis 2-5. My new silver Rat Terrier puppy, gardening buddy. lol She's 12 weeks old and so much fun!
Well, I still haven't read through all the threads, so will try to get back here tomorrow and finish. My pillow is calling my name. ^_^

Thumbnail by Crit Thumbnail by Crit Thumbnail by Crit Thumbnail by Crit Thumbnail by Crit

Hi Crit, welcome back. Thanks for the offer on the Rose Moss, altho, the one pot I have is a big pot and they say it multiplies pretty fast. Well Crit, if your not cutting your finger your down in the back! I'm just kidding you, I hope you feel better soon. BTW, did you get all the feeling back in your finger? What does PxceTL stand for? I know PTL is Praise The Lord, whats the little letters?

Cute dog, she's really letting that chew-toy have it! That's a nice Amarylis, it looks like it's reflected in one of those mirrors that make an illusion. How's your waterpond coming along?

Sand Spring's eh? Hey, that's close to a resort name that I'm going to Labor Day weekend, I am going canoeing on the Niangua River with some family people there. - http://www.sandspringresort.com/
Will

This message was edited Aug 24, 2012 6:34 PM

Will, you won't be canoeing much. There is very little water in the rivers down there. You will walk more than you will float. Just fair warning. lol

Oh, I'll tell them that, that's a good point, it's not much fun canoeing rivers that don't have enuff water, I did that once before, it sucked, thanks pepper. Carrying the canoe part of the time is not fun.
I got an English Ivy cutting from juhur today, I potted it right up, go English Ivy cutting! -
I got some SpiderPlant babies, I got babies on babies! Anybody want one? I can send one for a stamp no problem and I got the stamp covered. They grow fast and make an attractive houseplant from a baby in one year easy. I potted up 2 babies in late June and they have rooted fine and they are getting quite stunning! Here is a couple of photos of my big SpiderPlant, I think I counted 5 babies! -

Anybody know what's up with these berries in my Black-Eyed Susan pot? I didn't know they made berries? Maybe it's not a B.E.S. but that's what the seed packet said.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Will, post that pic of the plant in Plant Idenification. It looks familiar but I can't remember right off my head what it is. It's not BES.

Okay pepper, I did. Here it is. - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1276943
Thanks

And, I have me a pot full of Nightshade they say there, which is a noxious weed I believe. Quite disappointing indeed, I've been watering a pot full of weeds the last few months! I'm going to have somebody's job at Kmart over this! I'm just kidding..lol It was just a seed packet on sale, I guess that's what I get for using dirt out of the yard!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Solanum or Solaneum ,However is still sold somtimes, Has some uses as dye or some medical use, something like that.
I'm sure if you looked or waited or asked around someone would give you some.Alright, alright, I meant the flowers.
I believe administration can throw me off of here for that one. who knows..

Wow, Solanum?! - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanum I've never heard of anyone getting thrown out or even warned here. I've seen where people say quite a bit not too correct in other forums. Some guys just don't know how to be correct with the things they say to the opposite sex. I had this one job years ago where they were serious about sexual harassment for example. I remember this one time they passed out a flyer with eyes on the cover that said, "your eyes can be harassing" or something like that. They were saying just looking at somebody can be harassment, I agree, I have a Mom and Sisters and I wouldn't want to think of them being made to feel uncomfortable, or definitely a wife or girlfriend if I had one. Anyway, I remember a friend of mine there wore a Superman costume for Halloween and this girl commented loudly on the suit in the groin area (and other unpleasant stuff) and my friend was saying he ought to file a sexual harassment claim but they ended up dating each other..lol

Haha, but I think your okay there, juhur, I think quite a few letters were missing..lol I've never seen anything not correct in this forum. Sometimes, I find out what something really means before I say it! There have been a few times that I wasn't sure what some metaphor or expression meant or something until I looked it up and I'm thinking, "Whew, I'm glad I didn't say that!"! I remember one time, for example, I was talking to a family member and I said, "pear-shaped", well, I didn't realize at the time that it was not a very nice thing to say, later I was like, "oh geez, I was just trying to be funny", I think they just gave me a well deserved, brief tongue-lashing..lol. If I had a dollar for every stupid thing I said in life I'd be rich! lol I think 99.9% of stupid stuff is just words, people trying to be funny, nobody really means anything insulting. I am very hard to insult, I think everything is entertaining! If somebody says, "you wear glasses and your short!", I wouldn't get mad because it's true..lol

We got a little more rain than usual here tonite, boy that was nice, I turned off the soaker hose for actual rain, that was nice!

I saw The Expendables 2 today, my friend wanted to see it. I'm actually glad I did, I was pleasantly surprised at the movie. I kinda always thought it was just some pretty elderly, well known actors trying to rejuvenate their careers with The Expendables but those guys can still pull off some pretty good action. I was a little disappointed in some of it, for example, Chuck Norris. When you have Chuck Norris you want to see some martial arts going on but he only shot a gun pretty considerably. Arnold did the line, "I'll be back" a little much but it's still funny I guess! Oh well, it was still neat to see that many big actors in one movie.

This message was edited Aug 26, 2012 12:11 AM

We didn't get as much rain as originally predicted but all of it is welcome. lol. Grass is turning green again.

Yeah, that was a nice rain, even tho it wasn't nearly enuff, but it sure was welcome. On the radio they were talking about "rain or shine" and "it is very gloomy out", are they kidding? They should be jumping for joy, it hasn't rained sufficiently for like 2 and a half months!

Here is my styro planter! I plan to make it LIGHT! I'm gonna get a bag of potting soil to top off the lightness, the pot itself is that wannabe-stone plastic. I bought that 'Hameln' Dwarf Fountain Grass today at Lowes, it is going in that big pot. A few years ago my Sister and BIL bought the same 1 quart plant and in a few short years it was huge! I dug up a photo of theirs, but looking at it now, with it's dark fountain seed-heads, it doesn't look much like 'Hameln'. Altho, it can't be that Purple Fountain Grass because it was there year after year, Purple Fountain Grass isn't hardy here. I guess what I'm saying is I'm not so sure it's the same as mine now. Here's that big clump of Fountain Grass at my Sister's. -

Here's that "Black-Eyed Susan" pot of Nightshade. I pulled out most of the Nightshade to reveal something else underneath it, I hope it's B.E.S.! That's it in the red pot. -
Will

Here is that B.E.S., something happened to it in the above post. -

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Looks more like it than the nightshade ,What's on the right hand side of the photo ?Grape vine or Hibiscus? Is that the English ivy top left? Seems you have all kinds of goodies there ,just getting started.
I was building a rock garden at Grandma's the past two days I will pic of it later, moving iris hen&chicks and some sedum around the garden,And more penstemon that had been spilled earlier is sprouting around here and there.

Thanks, hope it's BES. That is (from left to right), a Catawba Grape, in the blue pot is a Tri-Colored Jasmine and then another Catawba Grape. I'm pretty sure what you saw was one of the Grapes juhur, good guess!
That's a Raspberry sticking way out of the big black pot way over on the right, it almost reaches over to the red pot. Can't wait to see the pic of your rock garden.

Well, my styro planter is done. Actually, it is composed of styrofoam, styrofoam "peanuts", black mulch in the middle and some real potting soil to top off the "keeping up with the Joneses look"! As one on unemployment, filling it all the way full with potting soil isn't really economically feasible. I already know you can't please everybody, so that's the way I hafta do it! : ) I lifted it, I succeeded in making it light!
And last but not least, that's the new 'Hameln' Fountain Grass in the middle, now I'll be waiting a few years for it to fill up the planter. I'm afraid at this point, economically feasible has to come before environmentally feasible, altho I would never put styrofoam in the ground, when I'm done with this planter some year, I'll be sure to put the styro. in the trash and it'll have to languish in the landfill. Hey, at McDonalds I always ask for a plastic cup instead of foam! At least plastic only takes 40ish years to biodegrade, styrofoam takes like 1,500 years then it never really breaks down they say. I drove over to the landfill once and got photos. It is a VERY big trench, it takes years to fill up. Can you see the trackhoe at the top and the people standing around, they're like ants! -

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Styrofoam and Cell phones might be there forever,only I have seen the Sfoam dissolving away before.
Here's the rock garden it still needs he edge stones or bricks and some more lava rock.
Background iris and a hen&chicks are there maybe some dragons blood sedum and perhaps later a lavender at the sunny side

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

That's a nice rock garden there, juhur! I want to get some of that castle-block to go around my copper fire-bowl. I did rocks myself today, I put 4 of them around my new, big ol' stinking pot of Fountain Grass. It's in a new resting spot, right in the middle of stuff. - That Dwarf Alberta Spruce back there is completely brown I saw today. I didn't think the whole thing was dead. I wasn't watering it thru the heat and dry weeks, and I believe I am gonna pay for it with another dead plant.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hey Will I wish we could trade for rocks for the price of stamps, I would love some of that Arkansas stone from Missouri myself without paying the costs of hauling it around, Oh well, can't have everything my own way, Indiana limestone it is!
Like the little cartoon characters use to say "ain't I silly"?

Hehe.. yeah, I bet they're proud of postage on rocks in the mail! Rocks I have! Be it small, medium, large or unmanageably large, I have me a rock! They say the pet-rock guy from the early 80's is still a billionaire or multi-millionaire, anyway he's rich, I am rich in a different way, I am rich in rocks! I have 9 kitty litter buckets still full of rocks that I found and I will soon find a place for them in the yard. I noticed yesterday that one jumped out of a kitty litter bucket in my car, it is behind the passenger seat of my car. The rocks around that Fountain Grass up there came from the tenth kitty litter bucket in my arsenal.

I'm still waiting on the Golden Pothos cuttings to do something in this blue pot, I pushed in a little trellis that I had from another dead plant, for it to climb on when it comes around.
Yes, that crazy wabbit! Did you know they say in the forties Bugs Bunny was quite a racist!?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Many of the cartoons of the 30's and 40's are full of racial suggestion . Jazz and Swingtime cartoons especially so
My rock garden work and seedlings are all going slow. Truthfully Fountain grass has always been one my favorite plants,I remember wild fields of it that seem to go on forever,the little heads wafting any direction with the slightest breeze.

So you have a live pet rock that has set up house in your car, I've heard from time to time they will do that.People love their pets, rocky be the way or not.

Thumbnail by juhur7

About 3 years ago, I remember I paid $66 for a bunch of grasses mail-order, today, none of them are alive. I should've known something was up when they sent about half the wrong stuff. That line they say, "we reserve the right to substitute for anything when something is out of stock", well, they substituted for all they were worth on me! I doubt if their eyes were even open when they filled my order! I didn't really want to name them, I am over it, but I still remember the disappointment!

Yes, that rock has evaded capture for nearly a month! I should get it out of there, my car isn't that big and it might bring down my gas mileage!

Nice seedlings with rocks, juhur. I too, have stuff like that. See the next post..lol

Rocks are everywhere, everywhere you look is a rock! I am a big collector of rocks, me and rocks go back! I'm sure the city mowers like my kind pretty good!

This message was edited Aug 30, 2012 12:15 AM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Here is more rocks!

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

I forgot some! -

Thank YOU Isaac! Actually, it isn't much rain. It's not like a hard rain where you have to have an umbrella or be soaked, but it's steadily coming down. I believe we are on the western edge of Isaac's turn to the East. Central Missouri and especially eastern Mo. (St. Louis) are going to get some very good rain. - http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ouramazingplanet.com/images/i/5733/i02/isaac-rainfall-outlook-120828-02.jpg%3F1346192227&imgrefurl=http://www.ouramazingplanet.com/3398-hurricane-isaac-rain-drought.html&h=428&w=600&sz=82&tbnid=fqeh6tBXXfZT7M:&tbnh=86&tbnw=120&prev=/search%3Fq%3Disaac%2Bpath%2Brain%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=isaac+path+rain&usg=__ly-gLZ8fj8Xc7z1YRFEQY2wWnJo=&hl=en&sa=X&ei=hRdBUKbrG4bvqwHa5YGwDQ&ved=0CEgQ9QEwBw&dur=4929

Kshb news says .25 to 1 inch for this area and up to 5" around St. Louis. - http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather

edited to fix the directions

This message was edited Aug 31, 2012 8:41 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Were waiting here till tonight, tomorrow ,maybe? I wish all that maybe about the rain would go away and it would just plain old rain!!
I still dig the rocks.
TITLE; Rocks and Pots at Home.

Haha, don't worry, the rain is coming to Indiana!
Yeah, lotsa rocks and pots! Here is a photo of out the front door a while ago. - It hasn't even filled up the bird-bath yet.
This link is a good one, it's just like the link up there, it does that redirect thing then when you get there scroll down a little to see a colorful map that shows the path good. -
http://www.ouramazingplanet.com/3398-hurricane-isaac-rain-drought.html

Will

This message was edited Aug 31, 2012 4:42 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Still raining and I'm not complaining. It has been a nice steady rain with the occasional hard rain. Loving it!!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I am still waiting for the rain to happen,80's cloudy all day , How about that I struck music!! jungle humidity and occasional drizzle.
I guess Isaac likes MO.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Being honest here I posted to the wrong thread but; blooms to you all anyway!!!

This is from today

Thumbnail by juhur7

Oh, plenty of rain and I believe they say Indiana is going to get a good deal of it, looks like the Indianapolis area is gonna have quite the deluge from the projected path they have of Isaac right now.

Boy, a big difference from yesterday to today, haha, check out these 2 photos from the deck! That one that says about 103° is actually about 100°, it always heats up a little more on the deck.

That's a nice Hibiscus flower there, juhur, that's kinda what my Luna Red looked like in June. - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9177962&extraimg=3

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

I'm paddling around the world on a homemade boat made out of the back door so I'll be out of communicado for a while! I'm putting my boat in about 5 miles away, in the Little Blue River which empties into the Missouri River which then empties into the Mississippi River which then empties into the Gulf Of Mexico and from there I don't really know!

Just kidding there! I'm going camping/canoeing with some family this weekend! I don't have a laptop to take, maybe a Sister will have Smartphone service.
If I'm not back by Tuesday, tell the world my story please!

Here comes Isaac, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio!
Will

Issac was just what we needed. The only flooding that happened was in a few spots in the city but mostly the rain just soaked in perfectedly. It was nice to see!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.