What's Your Favorite Herb?

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

A friend who lives nearby is planning to start an herb garden - she doesn't know a lot about herbs, and wants to explore growing and cooking them. She's a busy working person so would be buying plants rather than growing from seed, and does have a sprinkler system. She's coming over tomorrow to look at mine (which is moderately successful but not terribly beautiful). I have made a list of my favorites to give her, and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions. One of my successes is tarragon I bought for the first time in 2011 made it through the winter and is looking good this year.

I'm posting this on the Carolina Forum since I'm not active in the herb forum, and I think our area is unique.

Any advice?

Entlie

Conway, SC

Entlie: This is some info from an herb garden that we (Conway M. G.) planted a few years ago.
This is a good website that might be of some help.
http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/plants/vegetables/crops/hgic1311.html

Background (tallest plants):Honeysuckle “Purple leaf Japanese”( Lonicera japonica)
Mexican Sage(Saliva leucantha) (aromatic herb)
Lemon grass (cymbopogon ambiguous) lower part of stem
used for lemon flavoring.
Middle: Basil (Ocimum basilicum) used to flavor fish and tomatoes.
Chives (Allium tuberosum) leaves have mild garlic flavor. White flowers in
Summer used in salads.
Lavender(Lavandula X intermedia) aromatic herb
Society garlic (Allium schoenosrasum) pink blossoms in summer. Use same as
Chives.
Stevia (Stevia rebaudiana) use as sugar substitute
Lemon verbena (Aloysia triphylla) strong lemon flavor used in teas and as a
garnish.

(2)

Artemsia ‘Powis Castle’ (Wormwood) Perennial with aromatic silver-laced leaves used ornamentally.

Low growing (front of bed):
Parsley curled and flat ( Petroselium crispum) use as garnish.
Fennel (Foeniculum Vulgare) Used to attract swallowtail butterfly caterpillars.
Lemon thyme (Thymus citriodorus) low growing ground cover used for flavoring.
Oregano (Origanum vulgare)Used to season meat, stews, and sauces. Unlike most
herbs, oregano leaves are best used dried.
Tarragon (Tagetes lucida) Mexican tarragon or mint marigold is used rather
than true tarragon which is very difficult to grow in the South. This
perennial has an excellent anise aroma and can be used in any dish that
calls for tarragon.

Thumbnail by BSD
New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

This is terrific! Exactly what I was looking for. Much more inclusive than my bed - now I'll be thinking about some additions.
Thanks!

Entlie

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

I love Basil and Rosemary
Grows great here.

I have Sweet Basil seeds
I should say I also have 6 years worth of Herb Companion with Herb plots in each issue but would have to find them to bring to you so she could look at them.

Lavina

This message was edited Aug 1, 2012 12:44 PM

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I love my lemon grass and rosemary. Tarragon is such a pretty plant that I keep it even though we rarely use it.
Basil - can't imagine an herb garden without it!
Stevia, another must have.
I recently got a red-leaf hibiscus (H. acetosella) after not having one for several years. I had forgotten how much I love the taste of the leaves. It makes a great tea.
We also have oregano, thyme and chives.
Barb

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Lavina and Barbie. She came over and went through everything - I think she's not quite ready yet, but maybe this fall...and will probably put in a few plants before then, just in the ground with other plantings, no herb bed quite yet, but she wants to bring her husband over. I am probabaly not the best tutor.

Lavina - nice to hear from you - hope you are doing ok and enjoying all this rain!

Barbie, I use my lemongrass in tea and in Chinese/Thai cooking. What do you use yours for? Is the red-leaf hibiscus what they use in Red Zinger? Love that stuff!

My latest addition to our herb bed---a bunny! George saw it a few days ago and I have yet to spot it. The sweet basil looks chewed on by something. Wondering if it's possible that bunnies eat basil. Thankfully I have it in three deck pots as well - photo of one is included.

I love the lemon geranium - I have never made the recipe, but the Flag Fork Herb Farm in Lexington serves a scrumptious lemon geranium pound cake and I'd love to duplicate it.

Entlie

Thumbnail by Entlie Thumbnail by Entlie
Charleston, SC(Zone 8a)

Here's one that's a little harder to find, but it will reward you with its hardiness in extreme heat, its abundant flowers, and its lovely aromatic leaves: Georgia Savory, Clinopodium (Satureja) georgiana. Another plus: It's a native!

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

My husband is the cook in the family and he has used it some, but not a lot. I think he forgets that we have any herbs other than thyme, oregano, basil, rosemary and chives. ;)
Barb

(Judy) Simpsonville, SC(Zone 8a)

Saw this growing at the heirloom gardens at Greenville science center by the chicken coop: shiso or perilla. Recognized it as something growing wild in my yard (bird sown) and last year gave it its own space in an herb bed in a dry area under the eaves where it has to struggle and can't take over. Beautiful abundant burgundy foliage, mild anise-toasted sesame flavor. Used it in felafel in place of parsley, also saw a recipe to make a sort of pesto with walnuts, olive oil and garlic. Used in Asian cooking, but haven't tried any of those recipes yet since they call for herbs I'm not familiar with, may need to hit the Asian grocery.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

IS Bay, Laurus nobilis, hardy where you are? I love my bay tree. Never have loved using those dried bay leaves in cooking, the taste was just too strong for me but the fresh leaves are wonderful. Also, I like to pur a couple of leaves in my Christmas cards, the aroma when the envelope is opened is fabulous. Very Christmasy. I also sprinkle the leaves around the pantry to keep the bugs away. Mine is in a container and I have seen potted specimens used as centerpieces in herb beds.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I ahve my bay tree in the ground next to our big propane tank. I'm espaliering it on the fence we have next to the tank to hide it.
Barb

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Ooh! I would love to have a bay tree - with leaves that can be used in cooking, etc. They actually grow around here? I'm going to have to research this. I saw a recipe for making your own gin on The Hungry Mouse, and I need some bay leaves for that, for starters.

Entlie

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

You're going to make your own gin????????????????? Holy crap. That could be a very dangerous recipe for me to have.
I don't know if thy are hardy in New Bern. I wonder if Gary who has the palm nursery up there would know.
Barb

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Well you start with vodka. We make our own Kahlua using vodka as a base (have heard if you use rum you get Tia Maria). You just infuse vodka with juniper berries, lavender, fresh bay (that's one of the things I need the bay for), lemon peel, ...and a few other things from thehungrymouse.com's recipe. She emphasizes that it's not clear, but totally delicious!
Gary just might have bay. I'll have to check it out. We get the best fertilizer from him - Carl Pool.

Mmm. Is it too early in the day for a G&T? Probably....dang!

Entlie

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

It's never too early...;)

It's 5 o'clock somewhere......

That does sound good, are juniper berries easy to find?

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I don't know......

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

I bought mine at Fresh Market in Vero Beach - in a very small bag. I want to make Steven Raichlen's salmon rub with juniper berries (he is Primal Grill) -- now I have another agenda....

Ahhh, I should have remembered the Fresh Market and all their little bags of herbs. I am going to Asheville this weekend, there is a FM there, maybe I can find some.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

I went to fresh market in Raleigh Friday, just got an orchid gotta make a real run next week

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

There's a Fresh Market in Greenville, NC now. I saw it from a distance but haven't been there yet.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.