Fall Swap at Sallys- DISCUSSION about your haves and wants

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Here we talk about what we have to offer and what we might want. This helps keep the HAVES and WANTS thread simpler for easier browsing.
Ask questions like-
"'How many of those daylilies can you spare? I want to cover a whole bank"
"Hey Elwood, That farfle flower you are offering, is it really shade tolerant?"

Thumbnail by sallyg
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

SSG, I would love some of your Cactus Soil. I just love that stuff it is wonderful.
How long do you want your Bamboo Poles. I am sure we can get more.
UMD_Terp, What color is your Peony?

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly, I'll bring a batch of the cactus soil. I don't have a lot of plants to offer yet, so I'm glad to have something I can share. :)

I need a couple of 6 feet poles and some 4 feet ones.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ok I should be able to get them. Oh that cactus soil is just wonderful. I am really happy to get more.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

My best guest is pink.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

SS - could I beg 1 or 2 Dwarf Cavendish banana pups from you...
and Donner - some of your Coneflower (pink flowers) please and thank you?

This message was edited Jul 27, 2012 8:18 AM

Sure, Chantell!

Does anyone know a good source with videos/pics that describes exactly how you're supposed to dig out the bananas pups? I'd like to make sure they survive for you! Or should I post this question in the MidAt Tropicals forum?

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

What are banana pups?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

'pups' are the babies that sprout off of the mama plant.

SS - ummm I was never successful at that so I will defer to someone more knowledgeable....and thank you btw. http://www.bananas.org/f2/time-separate-pups-spring-1814.html

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Chantell, will tag coneflowers for you.

Donnerville, I'd love some shasta daisies and bleeding hearts.

Are calla lilies hardy in this area?

And did your Joe Pye weed come up for you?

Chantell, is the variegated grass for the shade or sun? And about how tall? Does it do ok in the clay?

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

I'd love shastas as well!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

SS - it's in clay - mostly sun and is maybe 18" - 24" tall

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

SSG, I will dig up some shasta daisies for you. The callas are not hardy in my area. They can survive winters in sallyg's garden as she is closer to the ocean. One of the divisions of the big joe pye weed survived the move last year and the other one didn't. So I have a much smaller plant now :-(. It is getting ready to bloom and I am reluctant to divide it now. I will see if I can divide a piece for you after it goes dormant and before the ground freezes. I will put a note in my calendar as a reminder.

UMD_Terp, I will also tag shastas for you.

This message was edited Jul 27, 2012 1:21 PM

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Great!! Thanks!

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

Callas can stay in the ground in zones 8 - 10.. I plant mine in pots so I don't have to dig them up to overwinter. I just put the pots into an unheated garage that is attached to the house and warmer that outdoors in winter.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I can also dig up some Shastas. It is quite hard once they become so extremely
root-bound like mine are--but I will manage....

If I can get to these--and IF they grow some new foliage and look like plants--
I want to also get rid of my Alaska daisies. Grew them from seed a few years ago.
These grow tall and lanky (maybe b/c I have them in my YUK bed) and only bloom once a season.
Otherwise, they look just like Shasta Daisies--just not as sturdy.
Maybe they need the Alaska climate? Not the 100* Baltimore one???

Will have asst. loose bulbs ---some baby CC's in 4"pots (if anyone is interested)---etc....
haven't really given this much thought yet....there's time....
Of course--Chantelle--I will have the bulbs for you from the fragrant Double Daffodil "earlicheer.
I can dig up another clump or so--if anyone else is dying to have some.
By now--with all the foliage gone--it will be a guessing game WHERE there are more bulbs.

I also have 3 small Wintersweet plants--going on 2 years now. About 6" tall.

More later! Gita

DON'T FORGET TO WATCH THE OLYMPIC OPENING CEREMONIES TONIGHT AT 7:30PM.
You DON'T want to miss these!!!

Gita

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

I would love a winter sweet plant! I'd try the Alaska daises. And any other bulbs. If somebody wants some tulips I have a handful. No idea on the color.

I'm putting some daffodil bulbs in my haves.

And I'm giggling over this group I thought was all swapped out after that spring fling of a swap we had!

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Always find room for spring bulbs. That being said I have an abundance of wood hyancith if anybody interested for spring.

Add on gita- are they noticeably fragrant dafs? I love how they label plants fragrant but you have to put your nose inside of the flower to smell it. Is there a blood hound they've trained to decide if a plant is fragrant or not.

This message was edited Jul 31, 2012 9:05 AM

Wood hyacinth multiply like rabbits. What color?

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Yea they do. I dead headed them this year. Pink and blue. I think.

Nice! I could take some...

Fairfax, VA(Zone 7a)

For dividing bananas, I've followed the instructions on the page to which Chantell linked, with the exception that I do a little dance on top of my shovel instead of hammering it down. I'm four for four, but I've also only ever done it at the end of the season . I trim back the weaker pups instead of risking over-dividing the plant.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Remind me in the early spring.

Remind you Terp? We've already secretly nominated you to host a Swap
ROFL!!! JUST kidding!

Yeah --hit or miss finding bulbs now! I had a few in bags.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Lol. Ha. Yea I have no idea where they are but would love to share them.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

SSG, did you see the link I posted on the "Tropicals" thread to my DG article on bananas? It's photos, not a video, but if you go ahead and uproot your dwarf cavendish so you can see the big corm and the pups coming out, it'll should be pretty obvious what you're trying to do... you want to break away the pup *with* some/most of the roots that are attached to it. It's way easier to untangle the roots and sort them out after the plant is uprooted (use a hose to wash away the dirt so you can see what you're doing better).

And if you do find you have a spare pup, I'd really love a dwarf banana... but don't give them all away! You'll need one or two to replace your current plant when/if it fruits.

Bulbs... oh golly... anybody want to help dig & divide daffs this fall? I'd send you home with loads, don't have room for even half of what we'd dig out... the DL/daff island bed needs to be dug over, and quite a few drifts in the back border could use some dividing as well. The island bed wasn't as blooming-ful this year, so those bulbs might take an extra year to bloom for you, but there will be some blooming sized ones I'm sure. They're mostly named, although there are areas where we'd be digging a mix, but you'd be able to put a name to them down the road... there are some no-id "yellow jonquils" and "little yellow daffs from Neil" and a few salmon-centered ones in the island bed, but there are also 'Geranium' and 'Ice Folly' and 'Yellow Cheerfulness' in there.

I know I *said* I wasn't going to order any new bulbs this year, but I am weak-willed. BloomingBulb has a pretty nice pre-season sale going on (for another week or two I think), plus new customers can sign up for their email and save an extra 10%, which would cover most of the shipping (if somebody other than me placed the order LOL). Their prices on amaryllis get really nice if we buy 5 or 10 of the same kind (we're talking $3.20-$3.60 for many of the miniatures). And there's one daffodil I really want -- one of the "butterfly" split-corona ones that I don't have and haven't seen before and now I just really really have to add it to the butterfly garden area. ('Taurus')

https://www.bloomingbulb.com/c-5525-amaryllis.aspx

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Good point Gita...I think I will mark your bulb while there is still foliage there!!!

Here's a pic of the variegated grass I listed on my have! I like it and as I said it is well behaved for me - however it's taking up valuable space that I could have a few other plants. ^_^

Thumbnail by Chantell
Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Deal. I'll provide the labor!

Jill, I'd forgotten about your bananas article! That was very helpful. I will see how many pups I can get and save 1 for you and Chantell, and 1 for myself.

And I can l help you dig up the bulbs! Will you be doing that before or after the swap?

Chantell, I'd like to try that variegated grass. How many do you have?

Donner, I'd like some calla lilies. No problem about that JPW!

Sally, I'd love a pig's ear. How pretty! And some daffodils, too, please.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Terp---

I have a small garden (development) and, early this summer--I started digging up a lot of bulbs,
on purpose, or accidentally, in order to get rid of all that dying off foliage.
I always hate this stage--as when I want to plant my annuals--the bulb foliage is all in the way.

I had a few clumps of Wood Hyacinth--pinks and whites--but have lost the blue ones.
Mine are all mixed. Are yours? Like--IF you know which are the blue ones--I will take just a hand full.

How much do you know about the Wintersweet Shrub? I can help--but you can also find a lot of comments
in the PF. I have a lot of pictures in there too.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/79001/

Terp- Wood hyacinth- Next spring as they are blooming you'll know where the clumps are, and maybe see if some are solid enough blue to offer Gita. When you dig the clump I expect you'll find all the bloomed ones with a nice fat bulb, and tons of smaller bulbs. Enough so you can replant your spot and still share.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

SS - grass is yours - once I dig it up if it can be separated I'm happy to offer to who ever is interested

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I've added Datura Wrightii seeds to my HAVE list

Thumbnail by Chantell
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Chantelle---
Is that Zebra Grass?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Gita - sadly I can't find the tag...still trying to locate info in my notes. Honestly it had an Oriental sounding name. Haku....or something similar

Sally - would you please set aside some of your Hardy Geranium for me? What lighting is yours growing in?

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

I have no idea the colors. Lol I thought they were pink and blue

Chantell- Yes! I have them in various part shaded places Not picky. Got plenty.

Re that grass, I'd suggest you don't rip it apart too much in fall but rather cut the clump and leave some dirt on it. I killed all my grass clumps which I divided this spring and then wrote about (blush)
Not this is it ?
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/19809/
Can't find that horizontal striped grass but I have seen it.

Terp- I'm not doubting the pink and blue but did supppose you meant one stem would be only pick or blue, not both. So if you see only blue in certain bunch, thats where to dig for Gita, for example.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.