Fall 2012 Mid-South Round Up

Booneville, MS

Anything is fine with me. I won't be getting much at the nursery since I am cutting back but I always like to look!

Terrye

Olive Branch, MS

Hi everyone. My Aunt passed away this morning so I'm not going to be there Saturday. We have to leave first thing that morning. Jim will be there so everything is still as planned. I hate that I'm going to miss seeing everyone, but there will be another get together somewhere. Have fun.

Ripley, MS

Sorry about your loss, Kenny. We will miss you

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

So sorry to hear about your aunt...... I hope you have a safe trip to wherever you have to go. We will miss you!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Sorry about your aunt, Kenny. We will miss you!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

So sorry about your aunt Kenny! We will certainly miss you!

Montrose, AR(Zone 8a)

Sorry about your Aunt, travel carefully and I will keep you in my prayers....

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

I forgot to ask...do we need to bring a lawn chair?

Sorry about your aunt, Kenny, and sorry I won't get to meet you this year!

Elaine

Olive Branch, MS

I've got plenty of chairs.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Do we need to do something about an alternative main course? or have someone else pick up BBQ?

Ripley, MS

Jim is going to get the b-b-q, I will help get everything going.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Ok, thanks! Just making sure we didn't need to change some of the plans.....................

I have the water in the ice chest and will put ice on them here at work. Made cookies to bring.....my husband REALLY pushed for me to make cookies. He knew he could sneak a few of them - hard to do with a cake or pie! ^_^

Ready to see everyone!!

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Oh Kenny, I am so sorry. We will be thinking of you and your family and sending warm loving hugs your way! Maybe y'all can make it to KA's in October...

Olive Branch, MS

Thanks everyone. It looks like it's going to be the perfect day for it.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Did you all know that Rita is closing her nursery. Last day is Sept 30th. That's sad.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I just got home, had a super time as usual. Thank you Jim for letting us come to your beautiful home! so sorry Kenny, that we didn't get to see you.

Here are some photos. hopefully I'll get to post them all on the same post ha . probably not.

loretta, Sandra, Sarah & charlotte.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I cannot believe that picture posted in about 2 seconds, I didn't even think it posted. I haven't posted pics on dg for a while now, they must have been doing some changes. lol

First pic is Jim our gracious Host!
Second pic is Loretta, Sandra, Terrye , Elaine, Sarah and Charlotte.

3rd pic is Kim, Charlotte, & Jim

4th pic Terrye, charlotte & Kim
5th pic is Sandra, Loretta & Marilyn

Thumbnail by kathy_ann Thumbnail by kathy_ann Thumbnail by kathy_ann Thumbnail by kathy_ann Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

pic one is Sandra, Loretta & Me

Pic 2 is . Genna & Charlotte.

Pic 3 Sarah, jim & Kim
Pic 4 Terrye

Pic 5 , what's so interesting down in that pot? lol

Thumbnail by kathy_ann Thumbnail by kathy_ann Thumbnail by kathy_ann Thumbnail by kathy_ann Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Good pictures! I haven't posted pictures in a while. They needed to speed up the posting time!

Great photos, Kathy! We had the best time! We got home around 6:30. I've been unloading the trunk, grabbed a bite to eat and doing laundry. I'll try to post some of my photos in a little while, but yours are hard to beat! Kathy, I think DG has improved on the photo posting. I gave up back in the spring when I tried (and failed) to load more than 2 or 3 at a time.

Thanks again to Jim for having us all at his place and to Kenny for helping get everything organized. I can't wait to see everyone again!

Elaine

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

We did a cross post. You were posting the last group of pictures while I was commenting. That does look like an interesting pot!!! LOL

Glad you made it home safe!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Elaine we did a cross post! So glad to finally get to meet you in person!

Yes, I was so glad to meet you, Charlotte, and everyone else I have only 'talked' with here! Glad everyone has made it home safely!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

pic 1 Elaine, Kim & Jim

The rest are group photos, they all turned out great!!

Thumbnail by kathy_ann Thumbnail by kathy_ann Thumbnail by kathy_ann Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Olive Branch, MS

Thanks Kathy for the pics. I was hoping someone would take a few. Glad everyone enjoyed the day. I know Jim did. Wish I could have been there, but there's always next time.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I 'm glad i brought my camera, wasn't sure there was any other picture taking going on!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Glad you did too! Didn't think to bring mine.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Loretta, we are considering changing the date of the luncheon to the sat before the 20th, with high hopes that Terrye and Sandra can make it. i think if you can make that date we will just change it to that date regardless if they come or not. so let me know ok. We'd all love for them to make it.

Here are a few pictures that I took.

#1 and 2 - the group doing what we do best - eat

#3 - Looking for garden goodies

#4 - Trish with her door prize - a jar of goodies

#5 - Genna opens her door prize - a bird house

Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Oh I forgot. There were a couple
Taking pics of the gifts. Sorry. Forgot about that

Batesville, AR(Zone 7a)

Had a wonderful time at Jim's. Yes Kathy I can come the Saturday before

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Had a wonderful time at Jim's! His place is beautiful and it was great to see everyone! Sure missed Bonnie, Cindy, Kenny, and Jeri - sure wish everyone could have been there! It was a great time for sure!

Thanks to Trish for riding with me and making the long trip a lot shorter! We had a lot of fun - and packed that suburban to the brim.... :)

The food was all delicious of course! Kim, you need to share that recipe for those bars - although I know they must have a million calories each! everything was great and Jim's place was even more beautiful in person!!

Genna

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Is their a better adjective to describe our day other than "wonderful?" If there is, I cannot think of it. Not only was our time at Jim's great but also our time at Dabney's, as well as, in the truck on the way! I am so lucky and honored to have such marvelous friends! I love you all dearly! Elaine, I am so glad that I got to meet you and Earl! If I can help with any duck stuff just give me a shout! Marilyn, I am so glad you brought Al. He seemed to enjoy himself! Terrye, I hope you feel okay today. I know you were hurting before we left. KA, you are welcome to sleep on the comfy green couch anytime! Charlotte, thanks for driving! Maybe, I should drive to KA's in October! I promise we will take the truck and not my car ;o) We missed all that could not make it and hope to see all of you soon.

Kenny, you and Jim have worked very hard on/in the yard...and it shows! Kathy and I only got into the forbidden plant pile, once or twice, five times at the most! Please express to Jim how much fun we had and appreciate all the plants he willing shared! I am certain he will be eating that delicious bbq for the next week! Maybe you and Jim can make it to KA's in October or my house in December!

I would also like for all to post their dish recipes. Everything was soooo good! We certainly know how to cook...and eat! LOL Genna, I waved my magic wand over the strudel and removed all fat and calories!!! I was supposed to make lemon blossoms but they stuck to the pan (I think element in oven is going out) so I had to go to another recipe. I can post recipe for those, too, if anyone would like.

Cream Cheese Strudel
Ingredients:
2 cans of crescent rolls
2 packages cream cheese
1 cup sugar

Glaze:
1 cup confectioners sugar
2 tbsp milk (more depending on desired consistency)
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Mix cream cheese and sugar together until smooth
Spray nonstick coating or lightly grease pan, then layer one can of crescent rolls on bottom of pan
Spread filling onto the rolls, then place the other can on top of that
Cook for about 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.

Make glaze and pour over while strudel is still warm.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Ok, we are changing the date for the Luncheon to Saturday, October 13th, Just in case Sandra and Terrye can make it.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Al and I made it home about 6:30 p.m. tonight after spending a good part of today at Mud Island. It was a beautiful week-end, weather-wise and every other way, too.

We so enjoyed meeting Elaine and Earl and having supper with them on Friday night and then seeing all the rest of you on Saturday. Al says "Hi" to everyone and he was glad to meet all of you. I, of course, had a great time visiting with you all in person again.
Thanks to each of you for the plants you shared with me. I will be eternally grateful to all of you for your generosity in helping me to start yet another flower garden here at my new home with Al. A new husband and new flower beds = this gardener's dream! (picture smiles and hearts here)
The photos are all great and just more proof of the fun we had. Thumbs-up to you shutter-bugs!
Looking forward to the next Round-Up!!

Ripley, MS

Marilyn, I hope Al is not disappointed when he figures out he has to help you plant all of those plants!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Ha, ha, ha, Sandra! He jokingly told me, "You certainly have a lot of plants to get into the ground when we get home." I immediately said, "You mean WE have a lot of plants to get into the ground when we get home." LOL He just grinned.

We did get out this afternoon and planted some of the plants we brought home. We had to go to the grocery store this morning and then pick up Laddy at the boarding place, which is why we didn't get outside until after lunch. Laddy was ecstatic to see his "mama" again and I was equally glad to see him.

We'll plant more of the plants tomorrow. I can only work for short periods of time right now because when I start sweating, the poison ivy starts itching really bad so I have to go inside and shower to get it to stop itching. I have it on various parts of my body especially on my abdomen and in all the areas where one usually sweats. Ack! It is really interfering with my gardening plans. :o(

I hope I can remember who gave me which plants. I like to label my plants with the names of the people who have given them to me but some of you ladies didn't put your names on the plants you gave me. ;o)

Ripley, MS

Oh Marilyn, you know all of us love you so who does it matter which one gave it to you. I do have a piece of resurrection fern that was given to me by TGIF, who has now passed on. I think I met her at the first plant swap we had at Tupelo. I am proud I have it and think of her when it looks so pretty after a rain, she was a very sweet and kind person.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

some of us are real lucky to get the new owner's name on the plant lol I'm guilty of never putting my name on a plant i'm giving away. i gave you all the sedums and the red monarda and the elephant ear which isn't hardy for you. ;) i got all my stuff planted, and Danny never helps me do that, he will do much work for me but NEVER plants flowers for me, if you can't eat them then I don't need them he says. go figure. I will continue to use him for my carpentry and veggie garden work and I'll continue to do the flower plants by myself. That way he doesn't have to know how much of his money I spent ha ha.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I was doing good to get a tag of any kind on mine must less my name.LOL I gave you a hot lips salvia, sage/salvia, small hosta and seems like something else. You'll just have to check my list of what I promised.

I didn't bring back much but it will probably be the end of the week before I get it planted. I did prune all my older hydrangeas back late this afternoon. I bought 2 new hydrangeas I need to figure out where I'm going to work them in. I bought three new hostas and got a couple from Terrye. I've figured out where they are going - now to did a hole. Everything else I bought back is tropical.

Terrye forgot to tell you the tiny little purple tiers hydrangea you gave me a couple of years ago is now a decent size. I kept it in the pot until this summer. I had it sunk in the ground in a spot where I wouldn't lose it. Then this spring I planted it in the ground where I wanted it but put some caladiums around it for protection. It's grown a bunch! Think it's going to be fine now.

I have a long time friend in El Dorado that is a gardener. Her husband likes to get out and piddle in the yard too but she tells him - this is my spot I'm digging here- you go find your own spot!! And she means it!! LOL

This message was edited Sep 24, 2012 9:11 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.