Request Help with Bleeding Heart Houseplant

I have a small bleeding heart plant that seems to be having a really hard time. I live in New York City and it's really hot and humid this time of year and I don't think the plant likes that but more importantly it has an insect infection I cant seem to get rid of. I see very small white larvae walking around upon close inspection, and an occasional small millipede looking thing and I believe spider mites as well.

I have treated it three times with this houseplant insecticide spray which has worked on other plants many times before but on this plant it seems to do nothing. My question is since the houseplant is already having a really hard time with the hot humid weather is it better to try to transplant it into a new pot that I know is not affected (and with new non-infected potting soil) or should I just keep on trying to solve this problem with the insecticide? Also any other suggestions and tips are also greatly appreciated. -Eddie

Thumbnail by bk_lonewolf
BROOKFIELD, Australia

Quote from bk_lonewolf :
I have a small bleeding heart plant that seems to be having a really hard time. I live in New York City and it's really hot and humid this time of year and I don't think the plant likes that but more importantly it has an insect infection I cant seem to get rid of. I see very small white larvae walking around upon close inspection, and an occasional small millipede looking thing and I believe spider mites as well.

I have treated it three times with this houseplant insecticide spray which has worked on other plants many times before but on this plant it seems to do nothing. My question is since the houseplant is already having a really hard time with the hot humid weather is it better to try to transplant it into a new pot that I know is not affected (and with new non-infected potting soil) or should I just keep on trying to solve this problem with the insecticide? Also any other suggestions and tips are also greatly appreciated. -Eddie

Not sure if I have picked up the link properly: www.ehow.com/video_2328914_bleeding-heart-plant...
but if you "google" Bleeding Heart Plant there are a lot of links out there! Good luck - it is a beautiful plant.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Can't see the insect problem (or any other damage for that matter) in your picture, but when I grew them, bleeding hearts tended to get a bit ratty looking in the summertime (and for me have typically gone dormant in the summer) so I wouldn't necessarily worry about it--it's a spring plant that is much happier in cool weather than in hot. Note that the video biddy52 posted is for a different bleeding heart than the one that you have (video is for a Clerodendron, your plant is a Dicentra)

If it does have spider mites though I would definitely treat those since they can spread to other plants too...do you see tiny brownish/reddish dots on the underside of the leaves? If so that's spider mites, the key is to make sure whatever you spray the plant with hits the underside of the leaves where the mites live, otherwise it won't do any good.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.