A stunning silk tree

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

This magnificent Albizzia julibrissin aka "Silk tree" was planted in a mere 1" deep bed behind one of the buildings that comprises the Kaiser Permanente HMO complex in Oakland. Many people report it as invasive, but either it is constrained by our dry-summer West, or this unknown species behaves better. As far as I can tell this bed is, or at least once was, irrigated, but in the twenty years we've watched it, there have been no seedlings sprouting up.

Thumbnail by jkom51
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

We have a lot of them down here, too, and they don't appear to be a problem...so I agree with you that the dry summers must play a role. Even if they were an issue, I'd rather deal with them vs. palm tree seedlings...which are everywhere here.
That one really is a nice specimen.

Orange, CA

Thery are beautiful but messey. We have one by the pool which irriates the pool man so much he cuts the branches back---which irritates me.

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

I should add - one reason I posted this is because this tree is not often seen in Northern CA. Outside of this one I've only seen one other mature specimen, which died in our 'big freeze' in 2007.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I see them pretty frequently in my part of the East Bay--maybe they do better in the warmer areas?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Should add...I meant warmer summers, not warmer winters :)

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

ecrane3, that's interesting! I have friends in Pleasanton and our CFP firm is in the Concord/WCreek area, so we are out around Hwy 24 and Hwy 580 fairly often. CCC's a big area so I haven't seen most of the residential areas, but I don't think I've seen the Albizzia anywhere I've gone. In Alameda Cty and the western edge of CCC, the El Cerrito/Richmond/El Sobrante area, I've only seen this one and the one that died, on Broadway near the Tunnel.

They are beautiful trees when mature. I wish the PO of our property had planted something really lovely like this, or an evergreen magnolia, instead of the trash silver maple and diseased walnut in our backyard!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If you want to see some, take a little walk on the Iron Horse Trail in San Ramon--there are several of them just north of Alcosta Blvd (I think you could probably see them if you're driving on Alcosta too) and I think there are a few more here & there as you head north on the trail toward Bollinger Canyon. I've seen them in people's yards too but don't remember specific locations off the top of my head, just know I've noticed them.

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

I'll check those locations out--thanks! I really wish the PO had planted something as beautiful in our backyard as this tree, instead of the dying walnut and trash silver maple, LOL.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I just noticed another one today--on the south side of Amador Valley Blvd in Dublin (think it was not too far from the intersection with Brighton Dr)

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

We have a ton of them in the Sacramento area too. In my neighborhood a lot of people have them growing in their front yards. They do look like they make a mess, but it's a nice looking tree.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Saw another one (or two?) yesterday...along 680 north as you're passing the on ramp from Bollinger Canyon in San Ramon.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

My sister in law has one in her garden near Chico. They are on farm land and they irrigate in the summer - Albizzia shows up, but, not as bad as they are in the Deep South where they are very invasive. And short lived because of borer pests.

Here in Florida it is Bauhinia that show up everywhere.....

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Orange, CA

Very pretty.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.