Wow.. .what a smell!

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

My first real Arenga engleri flower... nice!! and the smell is powerful and fills the entire yard... too bad not all palm flowers can smell like these.

Thumbnail by palmbob Thumbnail by palmbob Thumbnail by palmbob
Durban, South Africa

Beautiful too. How old is the tree?

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Got it as a 5 gal plant 6 years ago... so maybe 10-12 years old. Has grown a lot in just 6 years, though.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya Bob,

I'm growing A. hookeri, do you know if this fragrance is species specific or if the rest of the genus has that added bonus?

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Sorry, I don't know,.... that is much harder species to get to flower here... in fact, most cannot even get it to survive more than a few winters... good luck!

noonamah, Australia

My engleri hasn't flowered yet, but it's growing in a lot of shade so I'm expecting it to be a bit slow.

My hookeri, caudata and pinnata flower regularly but I haven't noticed any fragrance from them. Never given them the sniff test from close, but from 'walking-past' distance there's been nothing.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Bob and tropicbreeze,

I've got my seedling A. hookeri(s) in a greenhouse for the winter. They're only in their second year, but I'm excited to see them bloom before I croak from old age.....

best,
don

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.