Let's see your pictures of your streaked hostas!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Hi folks,

Time for some more show and tell. What have you got in your gardens that is streaked? Or maybe, what have you got in your gardens that WAS streaked and has stabilized?

Here are mine.

#1. Was SUPPOSED to be 'Liberty Bell'. It was stabilized by the time I got it and the dealer didn't realize it. (He'd gotten it at my request). Doesn't REALLY matter to me because it's a pretty margined plant that grows quickly and the stabilized form is called 'Bell Ringer'. The members of the handbell choir I direct gave me a gift certificate and I bought it to honour them. 'Bell Ringer' is quite appropriate.

#2. 'Charlotte's Web' - new last autumn and doing well, though a large eye of it had stabilized or reverted. I removed it and am growing it separately.

#3. 'Dorset Clown' - new this past spring.

#4. 'Ice Age Trail' - mine has SOME streaks, but nowhere near as many as I've seen on some plants.

#5. 'Lakeside Mom' is a real looker. 4th year, I think, in my garden.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

#6. 'Lakeside Reflecting Glass' - new this past spring and so shiny it's difficult to photograph.

#7. An unnamed plant I was given when my garden was on the Ontario Hosta Society Ottawa area bus tour 2 years ago. I call it 'OHS-Streaker' for now.

#8. A streaked sport from 'Pewterware' that a friend gave me. She says it's doing better than the part she kept.

#9. 'Royal Mouse Ears' - new spring 2011.

#10. 'Stealth' USED to be streaked. It's a first class dud, as far as I'm concerned. But I got it free by mistake; so I've not lost $$ on it. Anyone know if the stabilized version has a name?

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

#11. Is 'Spilt Milk' considered a streaker? Mine has some, but not a lot of milk spilt on it.

That seems to be it unless you include the misted ones - 'Allegan Fog' and 'Korean Snow' or the speckled ones like 'Revolution.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Seventh Heaven - I've had this one for several years and it seems to be a nice streaked one. I've read that it is unstable, but mine must not know that!
Sir Richard - I got this one as a liner last year, and it's gorgeous!
Rotini - Another one that I got as a liner last year, and it has some nice streaking going on!
Confused Angel - This is the second plant that I've had. The first one didn't do very well, but this one looks like it's going to be a keeper!
Whoopee - I've had this one for three years and it seems to be keeping the streaks.

Thumbnail by Rose1656 Thumbnail by Rose1656 Thumbnail by Rose1656 Thumbnail by Rose1656 Thumbnail by Rose1656
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

They're all good looking! :-)

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

I love the streakers - beautiful Ann and Rose!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Here's one I forgot last night. Not commercially available and it has a story. A friend I met on the Hallson list who lives in Vancouver gave it to me. It's a 'Fortunei Hyacinthina' sport - from division #8 as detailed on this page - http://www.pwk.resteddoginn.ca/hosta_hya_sprt3.php 'Twisting the Night Away'

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

I have to confess that the first three were taken mid June, and the last two were taken July 1st. I'll add some more later and try to update the ones that I posted to show the effects of the heat and drought. Most of mine are smaller this year, and have more bleached out colors.

Rose

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Dark Nebula - Got this one last year and it's doing great in this heat.

Athena - Got this one last year and it's a beautiful steaked one! I think I'm going to have to move it when it cools down. It's on a very steep hillside and seems to get buried by the pine needles.

Allen C. Haskell - I've had this one for several years and it's prettier in the spring when it's more blue. I've had to split it and take out solid leaves twice. Not as stable as I'd like, but it's so pretty that I'm willing to baby-sit it!

Breeder's Love - I got this one last year, and it's not liking the heat. Too new to see how it holds the streaks, but it's pretty when it's not getting crispy!

Chinese Dragon - I got this one from the Foxfire coop that Marie held several years ago, and it's not a heavy streaker, but always has some on the leaves. Hasn't reverted to solid yet...

Thumbnail by Rose1656 Thumbnail by Rose1656 Thumbnail by Rose1656 Thumbnail by Rose1656 Thumbnail by Rose1656
Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Seventh Heaven - Taken yesterday and it's holding up well in the heat.

Sparkle - I got this one from a coop last year, and I'm not impressed with it at all! Too leggy and not a nice streaked pattern. Maybe it will look nicer as it matures, but for now I'm not too happy with it.

Dream Maker - I had to divide this one this spring because it was reverting to a solid blue. Only had one eye that was streaked. Looks like one that will have to be watched.

Kaleidochrome - Still a pretty one even with the crisp edges.

Play It Again Sam - Another streaker that I got from a coop last year. So far, so good!

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Charlotte's Web - This one seems to be a vigorous grower for me.

Lakeside Mom - Mine is very pretty, but not a fast grower for me. It was a small division when I got it, and I've moved it three times. Hopefully it will grow now that I have it in a good spot!

Powder Keg - Another coop purchase that isn't very impressive. It's still a pretty blueish color, but should be more streaked.

Hyuga Urajiro - A really odd looking hosta. Nice streaking in the spring, but seems to lose it during the summer.

Praise Him - Another nice one that I got last year.

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

This one is also a sport of Hyacinthina. The person that I purchased it from is named Sue, so she named it 'Suzie's Watercolor'. It was a medium sized plant and then started reverting. Now, after 2 years, the small division is still small!

Thumbnail by Rose1656
(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

I got this streaker as a freebie in a co-op this spring. It is my one and only so far, but I love it. I'm surprised at what you've been saying here about stabilizing- Is it common for them to revert?

Thumbnail by Pfg
Wyoming, MN

Rose1656

I recently purchased Powder Keg. I had eight to choose from and of course chose the most heavily streaked one. They seemed to vary a lot. For now, anyway it is a beauty.

Gary

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Pfg - technically, they sport, not revert. And yest it's quite common for streakers to become stabilized, usually to a plant with margins.

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Hostages,

Maybe my 'Powder Keg' will streak more with age...I will be patient with that one!

Rose

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is one that I got from Jeff about 3 yrs ago. It was one of his seedlings. I have another one, but it's not as "streaked"

this one has nice yellows.

Thumbnail by tcs1366

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.