Kikyozaki X Fujishibori

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

In 2009 I grew two different cultivars of nil Japanese Morning Glory, together on the same frame. They were Kikyozaki and Fujishibori. I decided to grow out some of the seeds collected that year. I figure crosses might be interesting since the flowers have totally different forms. I’m hoping that I can get a speckled version of the Kikyozaki form. So far I'm amazed at the number of crosses! They all have the Kikyo form. And Emma if you grew out some of the seeds I sent I'd love to see pictures.

One note though .. on the mostly solid colored ones, the color is not correct - it should be deep purple and not blue .. my camera has trouble with purple at times .. can't figure out why. If anyone knows of a fix for this please tell me!

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum Thumbnail by Xeramtheum Thumbnail by Xeramtheum Thumbnail by Xeramtheum Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

X, your blooms are beautiful, every single one of them. I'm so envious.
Great crosses!!!

szarvas, Hungary

Number 2 - 3 - 4 .... first time in this galaxy ! wow !

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks! I have more buds opening tomorrow! Can't wait to see them.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Last 3 days have been amazing! Kikyo genes are definitely the dominant - kind of hoping for a Fuji form.

This message was edited Jul 21, 2012 9:01 PM

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum Thumbnail by Xeramtheum Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Incredible blooms X, unlike anything I;ve ever seen.
Pretty enough to make me want to try a few crosses. :-)

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks .. I'm tagging some of them for specific seeds and next year I'll grow the Fuji again and back cross with them.. Can't wait to see the F2's!

I grow bunches of MG's every year. I sequester and hand pollinate for purebreds and let the rest have at it so to speak. I've got my quota of purbreds so now everything is OP on its own .. I'm already collecting seeds for this year and I'll grow out this years OP mix maybe next year. It's always fun to see what pops up!

I also crossed a Blue Silk with a Rose Silk - the F1's ought to be really interesting!

Gautier, MS

Beautiful blooms! Congrats on your crosses, great job.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks!

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Superb! Thanks for posting!

You & others have re-invigorated my interest! :-)

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

They are neat .. pretty much consistent on the bloom types.

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

I think this is a Kikyozaki. The rain fell out of the sky before I got to take a picture

Thumbnail by LiliMerci
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

That doesn't look like kikyo at all - at least what I understand it to look like .. kikyozaki is the single version of double blue picotee aka double kikyo blue. Here is a picture of my Kikyo.

This message was edited Aug 17, 2012 8:15 PM

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

i know they have the pointed edge, I just could not tell it because it had rained. I grew some before and they bloomed on a very short vine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.