Plant ID help

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi -

I purchased this plant off the discount shelf at Lowes. The tag was missing and I have not been able to id. Does anyone recognize it? It was marked as a perennial on the pot?

Thanks!

Thumbnail by floridabunnie
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Ohhh, that's the new varieties of Coreopsis - a perennial - so pretty!

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

AHA! Thank you so much for the ID! I knew that I should know the plant, but it just was not coming to me. Very excited to see how it does. It has not wilted at all in our heat or our downpours.

Good luck with it. I planted the 'regular' Coreopsis and it just got leggy and not at all attractive, then it just melted away.

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

oh that's disappointing! I hope this does better. It is a little wilely, but I bought it from the discount rack - I am hoping it fills out a little.

High Springs, FL(Zone 8b)

Gotta love the Lowe's discount racks! The only time I buy any plants there are when they've been drastically reduced. The full price ones are just too expensive for my cheapskate tendencies.

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Amaryllisgal - I don't like paying full price there either. I always feel that if I am going to pay full price I would rather support my local garden center (who's plants normally look much better anyway). I can't resist a good deal though and always hit this rack first.

It is amazing sometimes what you can find on the sale rack that everyone else has overlooked because of some wilting or the fact that it's past season.

De Land, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh, I've seen this one a bunch. Our Lowe's still has them at full price. If I make it in there this weekend I'll snap a photo of the tag to give you the name of the variety. Definitely Coreopsis, but it's got some other name on the tag too that must be the variety name. Love it, been waiting patiently for it to hit the discount rack.

I've already bought too many loser's at Lowe's the last several weeks due to my own lack of diligence, so now waiting for clearance.

Jennifer, BOY - can I relate - some days I have to FORCE myself to stay away from Lowes! The manager is a dear friend and calls me when something new comes in - have to 'just say no'! FYI - many times I go anyway, despite telling myself 'NO'! LOL

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks Jennifer - that would be great. Most of the time I don't catch these good deals, I am always too late. Our Home Depot never even seems to have a sale rack. . .

I have an extremely hard time restraining myself when I go to the garden center. I just went this morning that I was ONLY going to get one thing and came home with 4!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Confession: I too am addicted to Lowes markdown racks.
Only way I can not pick any plants up is to not walk into garden center which is very hard.
Our Home D. doesn't have markdown racks. They just let them wilt and return to nursery that sent them instead of watering which I think is foolish. Mgr. told me we don't have the manpower to waste on watering plants. I have seen them watering at Lowe's.
Those coreopsis are beautiful. I got 3 pots from last RU I think came from Norma and they bloomed and are still upright and lovely. They bloomed yellow.
Gotta love those roundups.
Bonnie

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

I saw a woman watering at our HD the other day, but some of their plants did look rather crumpled. I also noticed that they had some plants in the sun that should have been in the shade. It is a shame to let such good plants die instead of marking them down so they can go to good homes like ours :)

De Land, FL(Zone 9b)

Well, darn it.. Stopped by today and even though they had a bunch just a couple days ago there weren't any at all now. I wandered all through there, so they must have marked them down right after I was there last. Sorry I couldn't find the name, I was really hoping to buy some of those myself, but missed them. Today they had the venus fly trap and pitcher plants on clearance at our Lowe's and a few wilted Rudbeckia and piles of lantana. Unfortunately I was there with my husband and whenever he's there I'm not "allowed" to buy anything. But then we get home and he asks when I'm going to plant my bog garden that's been set up for weeks. Well, seems to me some clearanced pitcher plants would've done the trick.. LOL, when will I learn not to take him along?

I love Lowe's clearance, but, unfortunately last time I went through there I bought a bunch of stuff that won't do well here. Oops, oh well, live and learn..

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Jennifer - I always do the same thing, I think that I will come back later and when I do they are all gone. At least I know I'm not alone LOL :) Your bog garden sounds interesting - you will have to share some pictures.

De Land, FL(Zone 9b)

Floridabunnie, right now my bog garden is very unimpressive. Basically, I had a gutter downspout that was causing a problem in an area otherwise perfect for roses, so I dug a 4' X 3' and 18" deep hole and stuck a pond liner in it. I've filled it with a mix of sphagnum peat and sand to prep it and the rain has filled it with water. It's sat like that for a few weeks now waiting for me to find a deal on some carnivorous plants. Ideally I want mostly native pitchers in it, but also some not so native venus fly traps. One day it will look like something, but, right now it's mostly bare peat. The only good thing about it right now is that the butterflies and moths land on it to drink.

I'm sure the pitcher plants in the box at Lowe's are tiny, but I may go in and pick up a couple next time I'm out.

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Jennifer - I have a couple of projects going myself, it seems like they always take a little longer than I would like for them to. I think you project sounds interesting and a good idea for a problem area. I hear of everyones projects and they all sound so interesting I wish I had shady or boggy sites. I guess we always want what we dont have :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.