Discouraging Weeds in Vegetable Garden throughout Winter

Warrenton, VA

Has anyone had luck with putting something over their vegetable garden in Fall for discouraging weeds? I am starting to think about this. After Fall clean-up, I want to throw something over the soil that hopefully is organic and that can be turned with the soil in Spring. Straw? What has worked for you?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I plan on using some of my left over corn gluten to try and reduce the weed seeds from germinating. Ric

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Shredded leaves- cheap and available.

I had great luck with growing giant red mustard to eat last winter, and hope to plant it as a cover crop this fall.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally -- does the giant red mustard reseed? I was thinking that if I could plant a cover crop on my nasty hill for the winter (assuming I get it planted in September, as planned), that would help hold it together over the winter.

It grew all winter, cold hardy. In my south facing bed it never lost anything to cold, grew all winter. Did not bolt until well into spring. Gorgeous red/purple leaves. I have plenty of seed.

Thumbnail by sallyg
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sure is pretty.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Did it die on its own in the spring, or did you have to pull it out?

I pulled it when it bolted. Easy to pull, juicy, I hope to chop it into the garden as green manure.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.