Protection from the Sun in a Borderline Full Sun Garden

Buffalo, NY

I have a garden on the northeastern portion of my home which gets the morning sun and afternoon shade. I would say between 730 and 1 the garden is in shade. Since this is very close to 6 hours, I fear all of my gardens including this one is considered full sun (irises, honeysuckle shrub, blazing star do great here). I transplanted a goats beard here and recently planted an astilbe and toad lily (which I set back, moreso protected from the sun that others)

So here's my question....Does anyone know of something that I can do to help protect these more delicate plants from the sun?! The problem is I don't have an actually woodland like setting to put them in instead. I am working with a roll of screen material (like for a door?) to filter the light as it certainly does help. Do you think it would be ok to make like a lean-to style screen over them?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I think that would work great -- but might not look too lovely. Are you just waiting for some shrubs/trees to grow big enough to provide natural shade?

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I used crabapples and smokebushes in my yard for the same effect of shade. Smokebushes are relatively inexpensive, very low maintenance and disease resistant, and provide nice shade. They also grow quickly.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

How about even a lattice with a vine to provide some shade?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.