How to grow wild plums from seeds

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

There are several wild plums in my area, in borderline wild locations. The trees are shrubby about 12 feet tall. The plums are ripe now - much earlier than my own plum trees. The fruits are yellow, sweet, the size of a sweet cherry but clearly plum flavor. I have collected a couple dozen fallen fruits and washed off the seeds. Now what? I have read, don't let them dry. I've read, dry them in the sun. I've read plant them now, or plant them in the spring, or store them in the fridge for a few weeks and plant them. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with plums from seed, especially wild plums. If they don't grow true, that's OK, but I think they might. If they take 10 years to fruit, that's also OK. I'd just like to grow them. Thanks!

Cadiz, KY(Zone 6b)

I've had some success air drying them indoors where they are safe from varmints and planting them outside in late fall. I have a 15 gallon tub filled with potting soil that I use but I think that planting them in the garden would work also. Plant a lot of seed and hope a few will come up. Sometimes they all come up. Good luck.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Wayne thank you. That was one of my big questions, whether they should dry first or be planted right away. I also saw some youtube videos where the person cracked them open with a nutcracker, then planted the seed from inside. I never saw that before, so no idea if it works. Anyway, glad to hear from someone who is experienced. Thanks again. Daniel.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.