There's an 'app' for that?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I posted this over on the herb forum - I'd like to hear your feedback as well. In the age of 'smart phones' we've experienced the good, the bad, and the...what the heck did I download that one for apps? Share with us which of the plant/plant related apps...ahhh heck ANY apps you've liked or maybe the ones you'd wished you'd not wasted time or money on. I know Bec can share some great recipe ones!!

Ones that come to mind that I use a lot are: Herbs that Cure, Aromatherapy (by Medl), Herbs+ (EOBearSoftware LLC), Aura Cacia (an aromatherapy one that is good as a resource) - I'm actually pleased with each of these. Of course when I don't like an app I delete it so I may have had some I didn't like that I've forgotten about. As for non-plant related ones I love my photoshop app for pics - Star Walk and Solar Walk (vito tech) for star/planet help in the sky (grandbabies LOVE it), Nativepedia (Native American info), National Geographic Atlas (another for the little ones)...then the music Spotify (thanks Bec) - Pandora - Hayhouse radio.....

Oh and can I just say I owe both the thanks and kick to the behind to Bec and hubby for introducing me to the iPhone/Pad 'habit' - I don't even want a 12-step program...

Thumbnail by Chantell
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL Chantell, No iPhone for me. All I want is to make calls, and occasionally check the time and set an alarm. I have no idea how to take a pic with my phone but I really should learn as you never know what you might see and feel the need to capture.
I will say that my kids love theirs and do all kinds of things with them.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I have a smart type phone and like it a lot- but have not gotten into buying any apps. There are some plant ones though.

Just having internet is cool. I found I could open a website with a winter twig tree ID key. Dang handy that I can have all that in my pocket,

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I live in the "prehistoric" times when it comes to I-phones and Smartphones....etc.
Seems everyone at work has one.....I don't even use my T-Mobile cell phone.....

Last fall--I missed my renewal date for minutes....Went to the T-Mobile place and said
I was so sorry--and could I still extend it for the next year. He said that would be $50
Then he asked me how many minutes I use per year? I said--about 30 minutes....
He looked at me like I had two heads.......then he went to the back and gave my my 450 minutes
for FREE!
Nice Guy! Reminds me--my cell must be totally dead--a state it lives in most of the time.
Need to re-charge it.....put it back in my purse till it dies again....

Gita

What a great guy! How often does THAT happen?

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I live in a techno world - I/we have 5 computers -> 2 towers, 2 laptops and 1 all-in-one - for work and 'play'...my iPhone and my iPad, I would be beyond lost without any of them...LCD flat-panel TV's, DVR's and Bose radio - my new car is so technologically advanced I have no idea how to use every gadget, the dash looks like a F-16 flight panel and I have barely scratched the surface of all that the car is capable of - the super fast AC alone is worth the price of admission...I have an app for everything, from food to banking and a flashlight and a laser level - looking forward to the new iPhone 5 coming out this fall...Chantell and I DO have fun finding apps and sending them to each other :) many are free, many you pay a small amount for ^_^

Wow Bec you are the Apple store dream customer!!!

We had a family outing today and decided we need to write a Hotter colder app. Like the game you play, when someone is searching for a hidden item and you say Hotter or Colder to direct them? So that when we get separated, and want to find the other (male) members of the group, who are not answering their (GD) phones, you can locate them anyway. ; ^)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

ROTFL How about a GPS app http://locimobile.com/ LOL Ric

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ok...am I the only one a bit creeped out by that app Ric? I mean...that must be a stalkers dream app...hopefully the stalkees have to agree to this....LOL I don't want ANYONE knowing where I'm at that frequently...jus sayin'

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Chantell, I think of those types as scare Apps. Really I understand wanting to know where your children are, some people worried about their spouses locations, safety issues and such. But those things creep me out, too. Shades of Big Brother Watching. We as a nation are monitored so much more than we realize. All for the purpose of safety. I just don't know how I feel about it all. Where do boundaries between safety and privacy lay. Holly

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Agree, Holly!!! Course my kids are 20 and up but I was quite content as a teenager that my folks didn't always know where I was...LOL - a huge thanks to my guardian angel that I'm here today to say that. Hmmm....this would be a good one for the ethics thread eh?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I was thinking that it was suited for that thread.
Well have you found more Gardening Apps????

I almost signed up for a couple apps before writing my article about smart phones. I forget what stopped me.
I did find reviews written by other app users on some of the ones offered.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Aren't there apps to id birds and bird songs and insects trees invasives, etc?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

All kinds of bird apps, Coleup - I don't have the following but they looked interesting: Peterson birds of North America, Audubon Birds, Peterson Feeder Birds (free), Chirp! bird songs (girls LOVE this one), Audubon Owls (free)...that's just some that came up on the search.

Gardening, Holly? There's a slew of those as well - many free....from organic to tomatoes to garden journals. I decide on apps based on my interest of course but then I read the reviews and look to see date of last update...those particulars speak volumes if someone is out to improve their product or simply make their .99

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Chantell I was thinking of the app I heard about on NPR (nat.publc radio) called WeBIRD.
http://grow.cals.wisc.edu/environment/smart-birding

It hasn't beern released yet , but like those apps that can ID a snippet of music via smart phone, WeBird can do the same with bird songs!

Many times I hear a bird but don't see it for id. I only know so many bird songs (chip of Cardinal, Bob White, crow, morning dove, ...) but this app means to me that I could hold up my phone to the sound and get an id and know what bird to look for.
http://blog.chatterbirds.com/new-app-for-identifying-bird-song/

The app when it is available will also have "crowd sourcing" capabilities so that we can share data from bird "hearings" as well as bird "sightings". Great tool that might nudge me over the line enough to actually get a smart phone!

This message was edited Jul 9, 2012 7:33 AM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I would love an app like that.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Holly, the Univ of Wisc group is also working on a similar app for insect sounds! Definitely worth staying tuned for the release. Initial release may cover birds of Wisconsin but as they are also collaborating with Cornell Ornithology Labs may cover much more and eventually will.

Alexandria, VA

Is anyone aware of an app that will allow me to plot my garden and then insert then names of plants where they are planted. I have more little tags sticking out of the ground than I can handle (I have a very big woods that I am in the process of planting.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Not sure about that - would love to know if there is though. In the meanwhile I use DG's journal to keep track (kinda) of what I have.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I use the DG Journal also. I have a Plants List were I broke them down into groups, like Trees & Shrubs, Perennial, House Plants, Tropical........... I put pictures of the plants and write down notes like location, where & when I got the plant. I also use metal plant markers with numbers 1,2,3,.....for some plants like my Daylilies I don't have names for them so I number them take a picture. I am going to do the same thing with my Hellebore

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Hey, Margaret, welcome to Daves Garden and our Mid Atlantic Forum!

Wow, a big woods to plant! Do you have an idea of what is already there or is this a new-to-you woods?

Several landscape designer friends use some thing called "Garden Planner Pro" but I don't know if it is an app or program or both.

A google search brings up quite a few possibilities but I've not personally used any of them
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=garden+planning+app&gbv=2&oq=garden+planning&gs_l=heirloom-hp.1.2.0l10.7051.13333.0.25576.15.13.0.0.0.0.3291.11049.0j2j2j3j1j1j2j9-2.13.0...0.0...1ac.1.mKHbFDO2Pw0

This 3D one looks interesting
http://diyhomedesignideas.com/3d-software/garden.php?gclid=CImszODduLYCFah9OgodL3cAJQ

Check out our upcoming Spring Plant Swap discussion and threads to see what all of us 'shady woods' gardeners grow and have to share.

Again, welcome.....
Judy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.