Show us your July blooms...

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

New thread for the month, I love everyone's pictures. Here's an evening primrose and is very July 4th-ish, exploding colors. Ha ha, I looked it up in my plant database and the botanical name is: Oenothera tetragonia 'Fireworks'

This message was edited Jul 4, 2012 12:38 PM

Thumbnail by bonehead
Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I cut some of these Angelica archangelicas for an indoor firework display.

Thumbnail by bonehead
Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Another firecracker - Lychnis chalcedonica, Maltese cross

Thumbnail by bonehead
Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

My favorite honeysuckle - Lonicera pericylmenum 'Belgica' - I love sitting on the porch in the early evening to enjoy its fragrance.

Thumbnail by bonehead
Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

This honeysuckle may be a bit showier, but is less fragrant - Lonicera x heckrotti 'Gold Flame'

Thumbnail by bonehead
Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

An old fashioned favorite, peach leaf bellflower - Campanula persicifolia

Thumbnail by bonehead
Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Thank you BH, for starting a new thread. Nice photos. I have a really gorgeous Campanula persicifolia, white with double blooms. Unfortunately the rain beat it down flat, and it hasn't returned upright.

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Pics:

1) One of my garden gates

2) My favorite sweat pea so far this year. I'll have to check the seed packets to see which one it is.

Thumbnail by kosk0025 Thumbnail by kosk0025
Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

1) Shade bed where I added ligularia 'Little Rocket' just this year. It was a very healthy 1 gallon plant from Forest Farm.

2) Bed of poppies, jacob's ladder, coreopsis, sea holly.

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Volunteer (overwintered?) Snapdragons

One of Julie's Hybridized Daylilies

Gallardia

Husker's Red Penstemon

Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl

volunteer nicotiana

Rose-Pristine

peachleaf campanula and foxglove

hostas and heucheras-----not blooms but great color

Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl

mountain laurel

edible peas

daylily-Outrageous

Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Beautiful pics ladies. Love the hosta fern and heuchera combo.

Lake Stevens, WA

Beautiful pictures! Nice looking heuchera and hostas! Has everyone noticed with all the rain and cool weather everything is so lush and full.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

1) Agastache 'Ava'

2) Thunbergia vine. (started this in my greenhouse many months ago)

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

1) lots of artichokes this year. Need to cook more tonight.

2) Mullein and Salvia nemerosa 'caradonna'

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

1) View of my greenhouse

2) eryngium alpina---started these from seed last year.

Lake Stevens, WA

Lilies looked nice last night. What a great evening. About Time!!

Thumbnail by springcolor Thumbnail by springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

Kosk, was the eryngium alpina hard to grow? Like to try that next year. The greenhouse is looking empty!

Thumbnail by springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

Astilbe
Liglaria 'Dragon Wings and Persicaria 'Red Dragon'

Lake Stevens, WA

Salvia 'Blue Angel' and Petunia 'Denim'. Grew these in the greenhouse.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Lovely.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Yes, I have emptied out the greenhouse. Too hot in there now. I still need to transplant all of my basil, a few lobelia, and a few marigolds. Feeling lazy though, and out of space nearly. Waiting for the peas to finish and I'll put the basil in that bed.

Eryngium seeds---I got them from whatcom seed company (awesome seeds). You have to cold moist stratify them for a few weeks. I do this on a damp paper towel in a ziplock plastic bag in the fridge for about 3 weeks. And then I only had 30% germination, 3 plants. But that's enough. They look great in arrangements.

Pic---raspberry harvest from today. Just finished picking. Already tired of it, and the berry season is just starting.

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Lake Stevens, WA

Oh, they look good. A friend just gave me same raspberry plants. No clue on how to grow them but will look info up soon. Planted them in lots of compost and sun.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

SC, that's about all you need to know about raspberries. I think the reason they are so expensive at the get-go is because once you have them, you have as many as you want - they pop up everywhere. My favorite fresh berry.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

They are pretty invasive, so beware. "Cascade Delight" variety is my favorite. Huge berries shaped like gnome hats as big as my thumb. They produce mid-July through mid-August. Most of them in my pics are 'Anne' (yellow) and 'Caroline', both ever-bearing. But mainly produce now and again in Sept-October. Blueberries are also ready to be picked ('Duke') starting tomorrow. Poor crop of strawberries this year, because the beds are burned out.

Pic: veronica + alchemilla

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Lake Stevens, WA

That's beautiful! How do you keep them in check? You know I'm not a fan of things that come up all around. BH I didn't know they were expensive. I'm not much of a farmer but I was thinking I would try these. I love yogurt, rasberries and granola for breakfast. Just thought it would be nice to pick my own.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

They kind of invade like bamboo, with runners. I think a bamboo barrier would do the trick if you have that kind of energy. Otherwise, it is constant hacking them down and pulling out what you can. They have really started to invade my blueberry area. But they are delish.

Pic: purple cauliflower

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

These purple poppies are awesome! Saving seeds for sure on these. The Daylilies are starting now with the warm weather. First blooms are huge on these two Noids, Lilly (missing marker..) And a rose named Charity.

Thumbnail by BeaHive Thumbnail by BeaHive Thumbnail by BeaHive Thumbnail by BeaHive Thumbnail by BeaHive
Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Does anyone know what this is? It's quite lovely and I'd like to give it a name. Stands about 2 1/2 feet high, growing nicely in morning sun, although it does tend to get that brownish edge to the leaves. Any clue what that is?

Thumbnail by bonehead
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

It is pretty. I've never seen it.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Looks like a mountain Laurel to me.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

The leaves and bloom shape are wrong for a Kalmia.

Agree with Willow.....not a mountain laurel.

Bothell, WA

The red is a new Red Volunteer; I believe the orange daylily is Abundant Splendor; and the third was labeled Macbeth but I think the supplier sent me some other but it is beautiful and every year it has dark pink petals and light pink sepals.

Thumbnail by mbabbitt Thumbnail by mbabbitt Thumbnail by mbabbitt
Lake Stevens, WA

Those are pretty! My daylilies all have a muddy color to them. Is there anything you can do about that or is it just lack of sunshine?

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

That's an interesting observation SC. My sister gave me this daylily which is called Victoria Red. I asked her why anyone would call it that, it seems more like Rusty Dupuis (my own name) to me. She reports her mother plant is a much more vibrant red on her side of the mountains (Twisp area). So perhaps the weather affects color.

Thumbnail by bonehead
Lake Stevens, WA

I'm going to try over on the daylily forum.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Amazing what a week of warm weather,keeping the deer and slugs in check can do for a garden. Mine is exploding right now with so many blooms. I hope they pace themselves,so something will be in bloom the rest of the summer.

A view of part of my front yard, Noid lilly, Dahlia, Hydrangea, Daylilly,

With the move last summer and the horrible mess from the oak trees this past fall, I have lost most identification markers of my plants. My memory is not as sharp as it once was back in the day..but I am afraid most of my posts from now on will be the dreaded noid... hope you enjoy them anyway. At least I can remember the plant name most of the time.

Thumbnail by BeaHive Thumbnail by BeaHive Thumbnail by BeaHive Thumbnail by BeaHive Thumbnail by BeaHive
Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Bea, I never pay attention to varieties. There are so many choices available to us these days; it's not the same issue as back when you could find six kinds of hostas at the nurseryl.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.