CLOSED: July Birthday Thread

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

There's always room for more folks to join us. If you're just stumbling upon our July thread or have lurked in the past and would like to join the fun, here's how our group works. During your Birth Month, you will receive a Birthday Card from each of the other participants. And in turn, you are to mail a Birthday Card to each participant during their Birth Month. Who doesn't enjoy receiving a thoughtful Card instead of junk mail and bills? A Card and a 1st Class Stamp, it's as simple as that. Purchased and handcrafted Cards are both welcome. Come on and have some fun!!!!

July Birthdays:
kohndr / Kobi -- July 2

Current Birthday Club Members:
Rouxcrew / Joy -- January 15
Irisluvr0252 / Debbie -- February 25
ClanCampbell / Chris -- February 28
Goldhillal / Crystal -- March 21
Carolyn22 / Carolyn -- April 3
AmandaEsq / Amanda -- April 6
FruitoftheVine / Susan -- April 9
Crit / Patti -- May 10
Mud_Elf / Kris -- May 10
taters55 / Linda Kay -- June 13
texaslady62 / Lori -- June 27
kohndr / Kobi -- July 2
GAgirl1066 / Paula -- September 1
Rvnsbrk / Juanita -- October 9
GardenQuail / Michelle -- October 28
Dahtzu / Faye -- December 25
Hope43 / Twyla -- December 28

In April, we agreed these folks will be responsible to start new monthly threads:
Goldhillal (Crystal) -- January
Rouxcrew (Joy) -- February
Carolyn22 (Carolyn) -- March
Irisluvr0252 (Debbie) -- April
AmandaEsq (Amanda) -- May
FruitoftheVine- (Susan) -- June
Crit (Patti) -- July
taters55 (LK) -- August
GardenQuail (Michelle) -- September
rvnsbrk (Juanita) -- October
GAgirl1066 (Paula) -- November
ClanCampbell (Chris) -- December

Thumbnail by Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

Hey ladies ...... did you make the jump?

Blackshear, GA

I'm here...hi Crit

Athens, PA

I am here too Crit!

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Me too. I can't believe how quickly the year has flown.

Gotta admit, Kobi, that I didn't make your card. I wish the young man who lost his life Peace. In my younger years, I worked with the mentally handicapped, as did my Mother for many years. You don't have an easy job. The hardest part, I imagine, is the ability to shut down a day's work when you go home.

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

I am here too!

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Me, too

I am here,, going home today,, I miss Ralph. We will have no kids for a week or so then Goober is joining me for a week of girl time!

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

kris See if you can pull some of that rain my way as you come!!!!

Happy Birthday, Kobi! Do something fun for yourself.

Happy Birthday Kobi! Hope you have a wonderful day!

Thumbnail by taters55
Athens, PA

Happy Birthday Kobi - I still need to get my card off to you.

Carolyn

Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi, all.
Crit, I'm here, too :)
Kobi, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Hope you have a very special day :)
And, Kobi, I'll be praying for God's peace and comfort for both you and the young man's family. We may not know why these things happen, but we can pray and trust that He will bring something good out of it all, even if we don't know what that is at the time.
Well, off to get some things done around here. Stay cool, everyone, and have a great day!
Michelle

Blackshear, GA

Happy Birthday, Kobi!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Greetings - found you here... LK - I must have a slice or at least half of that chocolate cake in your picture up there..

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi all and a late Happy Birthday, Kobi!.

Hi, all.
Hey, save me some of that cake, too :)
Hope you all had a lovely 4th of July!
Michelle

Happy belated Birthdat Kobi,, I am back to no internet,,sigh.. Am at the Library today....

Kris, sure hope you get good internet soon!

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Kris, I am so sympathetic to you. I was on dial-up for years and as i became more proficient the slowness became worse and worse. Just before I was ready to ditch the whole thing, they put DSL by here. I can't imagine the frustrations of going back from fast internet to slow.
We had Wild Blue for a time (I think it's owned by Hughes net), but they began cutting my speed for going over the allowed use. (They did this without telling us) At the end it was actually slower than dial up. We would never have known except a disgruntled employee told my son because it was his last day at work.
The way it was set up was if you went over your allowed limit any time in a month, they cut your speed, so it kept getting slower and slower. If you went away and did not even use the internet for 29 days, when you went back on, it would use data from the 30th day of the last month and reduce your speed further for the next 30 days.
I had called numbers of times and my son had also but no one would tell us the trouble til we happened to hit this disgruntled employee.
Needless to say, I hate Wild Blue and am distrustful of Hughes net. This has been several years ago, but a leopard does not change it's spots. We had the cheapest speed available and it was around $50/month. Now I think you might be able to get a card from Verizon that would allow you to receive to your computer just like a cell phone. My daughter does this. She surfs while she and her boyfriend are on the road.
I wish the whole world knew this and companies like Wild Blue would fall in a deep hole that collapsed.

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

Crystal and Kris,

We have used an air card for years because we are too far out for DSL and dial up is too slow. An air card is a cell phone without the phone and speeds are dependent on the cell service in your area. My TMobile card gets 2G where Dave's Verizon cell phone gets 3 or 4G. My cell is TMobile as well. We have discussed this with multiple service people and they don't know anything. I have come to the conclusion that the turnover is so high they don't ever learn anything. So after 17 years with TMobile we will be going with Verizon as soon as my current contract expires. It is so sad that service no longer means anything.
But here is the cost/upside or however you want to look at it. We will be totally getting rid of my aircard which costs me ~$45 a month. I can use my cell phone as a WiFi hot spot with a click or two and since both Dave and my cell service includes unlimited internet, we will power the home computers on that and save the 45 dollars. I have an IPad that is WiFi compatible and when I travel to judge or give clinics I now take my phone and IPad and can surf the web or pick up emails anywhere I go. It beats my old heavy laptop. My IPad was my birthday present to myself using my "egg and butter" money I had saved.
Don't know what dialup costs anymore but we don't even have a landline anymore, too expensive. Phone at the house was running about $40 to $60 a month plus the dialup costs of $15. That makes cells affordable for us.

Joy

Blackshear, GA

I have always had cable internet until we moved 6 months ago and I dreaded going to satellite. I thought I would be sitting there waiting all the time. We went with Hughes net and I have to say I love it. I can't tell much difference between it and cable. Only once or twice has it been slow. The only thing I don't like is the big 'dish' in my yard.

I would like to say hello, and a Happy Birthday to Neeners Mom, MShaffer736, Martha. If you go to the Birthday forum, you will find her there today.
Love the pallet garden they did together!

We were one of the first high-speed internet customer here at home. That was around 1999 and the original company has changed hands multiple times. Most of you know we relied on Hughes Net when hubby was working and we were on the road living in our camper. We bought the dish, modem, and what seemed like a never ending amount of cable. In rural areas that was our only option for internet service then, and it was pricey to the tune of $125 each time we moved and had to have a technician make a 'house call' to re-align the dish. That only happened three times. I had a PC at the time and hubby had a laptop on our secure network. We never had a glitch in service, or a data overage, and were never bogged down. I think our monthly bill was around $65. Not too bad when you're away from home and have to rely solely on the net to communicate and pay bills.

Love Mom Martha! She's one of the most cheerful, upbeat people you'll ever meet :)

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Quote from FruitOfTheVine :

Love Mom Martha! She's one of the most cheerful, upbeat people you'll ever meet :)

Yeah what's up with that?? :0) Too bad I didn' turn out that way. Hee Hee.. Thanks LK..

Neener, you need to tell her to join some of our swaps, or come and chat with us!

Everyone, please check out this story, then check your computer to make sure you do not have this bad program in your computer.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/2012-07-05/malware-internet-monday/56026836/1

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

I Love Martha too! I'm just to old to call her Mom Martha. Sure missed her last week-end. You too Nita.

Well internet is gone...so is phone Library is where I will get online. I will touch bases again on Monday.....

Have a great week end Kris!

Thanks LK.... We are hoping to finish up the shower this weekend. I have been working on bedroom all day. I am tired.. but it looks good.

Post pictures when you can, would love to see the progress!

Well it doesn't look so great as far as walls go because we want to buy the wood panels all at the same time. That way the wood grain and dye lots will match. Also having a battle over wood ceilings or sheetrock, I hate sheetrock so we will just have to see. Anyway lots to do today. Will be back later if I have time.

Can you buy un stained wood, and stain it yourself?

This message was edited Jul 8, 2012 8:39 AM

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1268342/

Come and check out the fairy/gnome swap. It will be closing on the 13th

Hi, all.
Waving hello and peeking to see if anyone is around. Perhaps there's some birthday cake hiding somewhere... Perhaps I can snitch a taste :) LOL
Hope all of you are doing well.
Stay cool, and have a great rest of the week!
Michelle

It looks like it's you and me this week, Michelle. Everybody must be hibernating in the A/C...HA! Wishful thinking.

Got another batch of cards today and looks like I'm set til the end of the year. Sure wish we had some August people.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

Hi, all.
Ah, that explains it... I have no a.c. to hide in LOL :) Well, I hear that the Braille Project, where I get my print/braille cards, just did up a bunch of new cards, so I'm looking forward to checking out the new selection!
Wow, the end of July is just around the corner! Where has this month gone?
Just a reminder: Taters55/LK is listed above as our August host.
Have a great week, everyone!
Edited to say that I saw on another thread that Crit hasn't been well lately. Otherwise, I'm sure she'd be stopping by as our July host. Crit, we all hope you're feeling better soon!
Michelle

This message was edited Jul 27, 2012 6:19 PM

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi Michelle, hope you find the cards to be exactly what you want.
Susan, that is a WOW! picture. Pretty enough to frame.

Thank for the compliment, Faye. It's from two years ago and thought we might get a rise from Manda seeing the Monarchs.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.