Building a Home part3

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I personally don't like Luan. The wood, even just the veneer, is too porous... by that I mean the fibers are not closely spaced. Plus my experience is that it darkens with a sealer. The doors in this trailer are hollow with luan door skins.

On the other hand, I love birch plywood, and most of my shelving is made from it. Years ago, Baltic Birch 3/4" plywood was 7 layers (bonded together) but today everything is cheaply made, and I seldom find it with more than 5 layers. The thinner plywood is okay if it gets fastened to the walls before it warps, and the fibers are tight enough to give a good finish.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I prefer the thin plywood....but the prices have doubled in the past 6 years. I used the thin plywood on the sunroom ceiling that we had built on the other home and it was pretty. I'll wait and see what the lumber salvage can come up with. Sometimes they have it for $10 a sheet but they just don't have it right now. And sometimes they have good sheets of wood paneling for $10.
I really really don't want to use sheetrock. I hate sheetrock. But if I am backed into the corner financially, I might have to. ($7 a sheet)

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

BACK to my Water Well topic that I talked about a few months ago=
We called one man to look at the well and he never would show up. He didn't talk all that great anyway.
All he was suppose to do was come out and look at the well and tell us what we needed to do to make it work cause we had no idea what we were suppose to look for.
I been cruising the net learning about drilled wells and pumps.

All I have figured out is that all we have is just a Well Casing. There are no pipes or anything blocking the casing. There was a cap on the casing and it has not been exposed to rain and mud. ....cept my husband did drop a rock down the pipe ...oh great!!!!
I don't know a whole lot about these wells yet, but I thought there was suppose to be a fixed permanent screen near the bottom that would prevent mud or rocks from entering into the pump area. If my learnings are correct, then hubby did a bad thing. Right?

What's the casing made from?

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

It a 6 inch metal pipe .

Since it's metal, it has some age to it; newer ones are plastic. Newer ones might have a screen, but the well they sank for me 30 years ago did not.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

hmmm.
ty.
I have much to learn.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Built a greenhouse room off the back door. Wood burning heater just inside the back door in the livingroom. Just a place to start some early seeds and store a few plants. It's 6x12. We put an electric heater in there too for back up when we don't wake up to load the heater. It has used greenhouse poly on it. I wanted to put some polycarbonated sheets on it next year but that is iffy. Might just put the sheets on the roof and put screen around the walls and remove and replace the poly every winter and spring.

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Nice space. I'd like to close in one end of my porch like that.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

How are things going? Miss keeping up with you.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I been so busy with the greenhouses that I only took time to post on facebook.

We are working on the living room walls in our spare time which isn't much time right now.

Putting 1x4s on the walls.

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Looks great!!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

That is cool!!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1311115/

Join the market growers here.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

We built a roof over the main door to keep the rain from blowing in. I cut and nailed up the lattice . Used a cordless skill saw cause it was light weight and easy to manage.

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden Thumbnail by CricketsGarden Thumbnail by CricketsGarden Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Stained each strip of lattice with a paint brush. Used Eco Wood Treatment and added some green tint until I got the tint that I liked that would best go with the house colors. Stained the old decking too.

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden Thumbnail by CricketsGarden Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

It took a lot of time to do the lattice. Day in and day out until it was finished. I was so happy to complete the staining.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I never posted pictures of the cabinets that we put up either.
Used, old , smoke damaged cabinets.
Cleaned and refaced with oakplywood.
I like to take someone elses trash and turn it into my treasure. (reuse)
I haven't finished that project cause I have been undecided on what to use for cabinet doors.
I haven't stained it yet either. I might do that this winter while I am confined to the indoors.

I seriously thought about taking some wood pallets and un-assemble them to make some board and batten doors for the cabinets. thoughts....?

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

the kitchen is a long ways from being completed.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

We also managed to do another wall in the livingroom with the 1x4s which is complete mostly and still have to do the dining room area.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

The cheapest & easiest thing to do is order cabinet doors from a cabinet door company. Google cabinet doors. All you have to do is send your measurements. You can get them unfinished, then stain or paint the cabinets & doors to match.
I looked at a couple sites & it looks like under $30 per door for paint-able style.

Wow, you've been a busy woman... and it all looks great!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I agree totally!!! Nice work

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

That living room wall is awesome. You have done some great work inside and out. Lots of work on the lattice no doubt but it looks terrific. You can really be proud of yourself. I like the idea of the dioramas from pallets. It will fit with the rest of your house.
Thanks so much for posting the pics.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Have you gotten anymore projects done since we last heard from you?

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Yes Mam. Not much .
sold the coffee table in the livingroom that the tv was sitting on and bought wood to build an entertainment center. (basic)
Then stained and put one coat of polyurethane on the entertainment center and the two walls in the livingroom.
That's all I have done. Been working in the greenhouse and yard. Will finish the livingroom late spring.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Mercy. I guess you nearly have to build your own cor a TV that big. It looks really nice. You do very good work.

amsterdam, Netherlands

[deleted for spam]

Richmond, TX

I don't understand the significance of the last post...?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

It's one of many advertizing posts these nonpaying people are tossing in here all the time since non subscribers have been able to access this site.
Tell Melody or Terry & they will remove it.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I thought nonsubscribers didn't have access to forums. If DG changed that, that's lousy.
And, CricketsGarden, your home is looking incredible! I love the fact that you all are taking your time & doing things how YOU want them! We are just about to do a bit of kitchen remodel, including new cabinet doors. Thanks CountryGardens for your comment! That's a good place to start.
Y'all have a great summer!
Janet

Richmond, TX

Some of the forums are closed, but this one is not.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

How are things going with the house? Hope all is well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.