Summer flowers

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Well it took two so I will send the last two.

This message was edited Jun 26, 2012 11:42 PM

Thumbnail by gardadore Thumbnail by gardadore
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Man there certainly are some pretty lovely flowers here to see!!!

happy; I got that four or five years ago, that is about all I know as to age information.How long a yarrow plant lives nobody ever asked me that before,and neither had I. I may of heard once a long while ago that those are suppose to live about 12 years or so, not sure though.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Beautiful poppies!!! I started some oriental poppies from seed this year. They germinated beautifullyk but the container was dug into by critters (chipmunks?) the day I moved it outside :-(. Will have to try again next year.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

donner and gardadore----Loved all your pictures! Never seen those Poppies you have!

Sally--How come YOU could post 5 pics.? I checked the size (right click--> "picture info") and they seem to be
about the same size as mine. Three pictures takes me about 2+ minutes to load. One---over a minute.
Haven't tried more than 3 again. I have been c/p the text so I don't lose that--in case the pictures don't send.

We still seem to be having problems. Anyone keeping up with Adm. re this issue?
Haven't seen anyone post on David's Thread re the Loading Problems.
G.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Gita, what is your broadband access service? I have Verizon Fios. If you use DSL which is slower than Fios, your upload of 5 pics will take longer and it may time out before it is done. If you use cable modem, the bandwidth is shared among all the users on that same line. Try to avoid the peak time (between dinner and bedtime?) and see if that makes the upload faster.

This message was edited Jun 27, 2012 11:17 AM

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Not sure what broadband access service actually is defined as?

I have Comcast X-Finity. I do not use DSL. I have cable.

next time you come over--you can inspect my "puter.

Gotta go to work. Gita

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Gita, Sorry, that would be your access to the Internet. so you have comcast cable modem. Try to upload pictures when fewer people are using the service in your neighborhood. Maybe early in the morning or late at night? I would guess that the line is pretty busy right after dinner which will make your upload slow.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

The scent of this lily is filling the entire yard with just 3 blooms
'Touching'

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

echi, love those eyes, glads, monarda, dl

Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen
Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

nice Jen

I tried to upload 5 pics again to no avail... I don't have the time to resize each one so I'll just post singles or try 2-3

stay cool!

our hydrangeas were so gorgeous this year

Thumbnail by wind Thumbnail by wind Thumbnail by wind
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

When you export them from your camera to the computer just make sure they are exported at the smallest size
I found that it also helps to hit preview first then send them

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

When you export them from your camera to the computer just make sure they are exported at the smallest size
I found that it also helps to hit preview first then send them
( I still do not know how to "box" comments"....)

Jen---Your comment leads me to a question.....

At what point of uploading ones pictures (exporting?) can you change the size--and--HOW??

If you "export" (upload?) any pictures that have been made a smaller size---will they still be a larger size
when someone opens them in a Post?
Many times I have seen people's photos at about 2"x3" even after I clicked to open them.
Almost the same size as a Thumbnail. I would not want to do that....

Lately--I have sent 2 and 3 pictures at the same time and it seems to go faster.
May be just the time of day.....

On my camera--my ISO is set on 8.

I still have not called my provider (Comcast) to see if I may get a faster speed w/o any additional cost.
Something I have been procrastinating with....

Gita

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

wind---

The last picture you posted--the one of the orange Lily--almost looks like my "Lily-By-The-Stump".
The coloration is different--but the shape of the bloom is close tot he same....

This year--the blooms have been less than before. Again--I will blame it on the heat.....

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Jen - I love that lily - fragrant too, eh? Where did you get yours from?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Chantell I bought 'Touching' from Brent and Becky's

Gita, when you pull up my pics you see them in large size don't you?

When you use the usb cable to upload your pics into your computer and then into your picture program, how to you export them into your individual files?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jen--

When I opened your flower pictures above--#2-#3-#4-#5 measured 9"x51/2".
The Echinacea was huge! Mostly very long--at 17+" x 91/2".

I have a PlugLink Ethernet Adaptor plugged into my USB port.
On a very small CD that came with the PlugLink it says: "High Speed-85mbps".
My Son-in-Law got that for me. He said he learned of this PlugLink on the
Cameras and Photography Forum. He is very good with computers....

I keep all my pictures in dated folders by month (like--June 2012). Now I will start a new folder for July.
Makes it easier to find certain pictures by the month that they bloom.

Anyway--I slip my memory card into the slot of on the PlugLink and and it puts the pictures in
the current folder. I could choose any other folder too, if I wanted. I prevue them and ID all the pictures
of what is on them.
The folders are in my Documents---My pictures--and then in the dated folders.

To add a picture on a Post--I go the same route--Doc.--My Pics.--find the picture I want to post, prevue it--
and click "open" and it goes into the "Browse" image window under the text area.

At what point in this process could I minimize the picture before I put it in the folders? How?

Is this what you asked me to explain??? Thanks for your help. Gita

Will add a picture just as an example---When I prevued it--it measures 11"x81/2". bigger than yours.
It would be perfectly OK with me to have it a smaller size--like yours. Still big enough to enjoy.

edited to say that when I looked at it in this post I sent--it was now re-sized to be the same size as yours.

This message was edited Jul 2, 2012 8:22 AM

Thumbnail by Gitagal
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Special Request

Haven't heard from a number of folks that the major storm that blew through on Friday night may have impacted like ruby, aspenhill, greenthumb and pat, ssgardener, donnerville, Bec, hart, speedy and catbird to name a few...Hope they will check in soon and that they are all ok.

If any of you reading this have a way of checking in with any of the above or other DG neighbors, knowing that they may be out of power and cell phone service, please do so and convey our prayers and wishes for their well being.

You can report any weather and well being reports on our ongoing Chat thread (Your Neck of the Woods) here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1268408/

Thanks,

Judy

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

When you use your memory card to upload the pics, it transfers them automatically? it doesn't ask you what folder to transfer them to?
is there a plug link icon on your desktop?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

OK! Took a random picture---My Mandevilla

--stuck Memory Card in the PlugLink thingie.
--Up came this:..."Copy picture om Microsoft using Scanner CXamera wizzard.
--Next----Choose pictures to copy (like ones that have NOT been copied before).
--Next--Choose place to save Pics.---like my current Folder.
--Finish

Now all the pictures copied are in the current folder. I go there for viewing and ID-ing each picture.

Now--the chosen pictures are in My Documents----My pictures---In the June 2-12 Folder.

I cannot tell you any more than this.

Here is the picture I too just now....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Weird that after "choose picture to copy"or before you save it there is no options on resizing or editing

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

I never get any options to resize a picture when I save them from my camera either, the "walkthrough" is pretty much just like Gita described. (by the way Gita, GORGEOUS Mandevilla!!) I'm wondering if we should find a resizing program online to use..??

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have "zoom browser" that came with my Canon and when exporting to the files it has the resize option

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Maybe I should read the manual????? OR--watch the tutorial CD's that came with it?

Would make sense----I just hate to read manuals.....of course--then I pay the price for my ignorance....

G.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Honeymoon, Salmon Star, King of Hearts(thanks Ruby!!!!) and the little strip next to the front porch is filling in nicely

Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jen/Ruby

Is the "King of Hearts" the same as my red D-Lily?

If it is--I would then have a name.....

Thumbnail by Gitagal

FlowAjen, in the little strip next to your porch, are those Johnny Jump Ups I see? What sort of sun/shade do you get there? I've got some JJU's in a pot out back and they're finally just starting to bloom, but they don't seem to be as 'bloomy' as yours. Mine get morning sun, 'til about 11:00 or so, and then are in bright shade the rest of the time. Any suggestions to get mine to look like yours? =)

Thumbnail by speediebean
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Oh you saw those huh?
The strip gets morning sun only

how about this patch?? Full hot sun

Thumbnail by flowAjen

Aaaaaaaaaaaaah, HEAVEN!!!!!!!!! They are wonderful!!!!! OK, note to self for next year: A couple more packs of Johnny Jump Ups and find a sunny spot for them! =) Thank you for the gasp and smile! =)

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Jen, Is that picture from today? Mine always succomb to heat and have been gone about two weeks now in sun or shade. This year is about the longest they have lasted ever here for me. Do you cut yours back after initial bloom? Does that patch come back every year for you or is that from this winter/spring? Do you dead head them?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I do nothing to them, have no idea how they even got here.
That pic was in June, they JUST started to brown a little, so I start yanking them...don't worry they'll be back again next year

Crozet, VA

All pics are absolutely gorgeous!!! Thanks to all who shared. I haven't taken many flower pictures this year and it is almost like pulling a tooth to get me take the pics and then actually post them. Once I get started though, I tend to go over board. I too saw some real beauties amongst all these flowers and may have to start a wish list.

Sally, I was wondering if your red Day Lily isn't a King of Hearts also.

Ruby

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Such a beautiful array of colors, folks...I love it!!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Gita I don't think your red dl is King of Hearts which throat is more greenish

Part of my dl and lily area
caladiums and coleus
caladiums and viola

butterflies enjoying the buddleia

Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen
Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Gita: Could your daylily be Red Volunteer, http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/8321/?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful Jen.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Happy---

I do not think so--they do not look exactly alike either...

The Red DL I have used to be in my next-door neighbor's (Betsy's) yard.
She had beautiful Iris and also DL.
6 years ago, she went to an extended care kind of a place. The house was unoccupied for 2 years.
Her daughter spent all kinds of time throwing everything away, as she was in charge of
readying the house to be sold. You better believe I went through every trash bag! Horrors!

She even rented a dumpster and was throwing all kinds of good things in it.
I think that got raided by everyone in this neighborhood that dared do such a thing.

Then the salvation Army truck came to get all the rest.
She let me go look, and I ended up taking a beautiful, hand-crocheted Full throw. Also some other stuff.
The husbands sister always crocheted things.

OK! Getting side tracked here...
Betsy's father was from Holland and he owned a Bulb farm somewhere in S. MD.
Many of the bulbs that she grew were given to her by her dad. Including these red DL's.

I just think they are an old, old variety as I have seen them in many places. Even when I was in Latvia.

SO--as no one was looking I was digging up what I could from her yard.
She had oodles of naked ladies, but I did not have room for too many things.

The Iris I showed you all before--the "Snow on a Mountain" was also something I took from her yard.
Just as well--when the Pakistani family moved in, they cut everything down, dug everything up and got rid of ti.
Now the Old lady is cultivating quite a nice garden--but most of it in pots. She has a pot-garden.
Now that it is behind a 6" wall, I never see her any more. Nor my little buddy--Hamsah.

Sorry to be so long-winded....I always have to explain "why" and "how".....Gita

The Iris "Snow cap"...and my little buddy--Hamsah--2 years old. They say they built the fence to keep him safe
and to keep him from roaming all over with Granny chasing after him all day.
Now he will grow up in fenced-in cage--not exposed to any other people or kids. Sad!

edited to say--now Hamsah peeks through the cracks in the fence and keeps saying--"Hi!! Miss Gee..."

This message was edited Jul 10, 2012 1:30 PM

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Pretty blooms!!

What a cutie he is, Miss G!!!

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Gita, there are poker primroses behind the iris. How are they doing now? One of the three in my garden is thribing, one is barely surviving, and the 3rd has disappeared all together :-). They need time to establish themselves before summer heat arrives. I wish nurseries got them in earlier in the season.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

donner---

Sorry! I lost one of my two also. Gathered up the remnants and took it back to HD for a refund. Had the receipt.
Hey! $5.98 is no chicken feed!!!

The other one is still OK. Being it IS a Primrose---I do not expect anything much out of it in this weather.
Lets face it. Primroses are a "Spring Thing". YES!--They die back in the heat of the summer--
but then re-surface in the spring. So I hope! NOT the dead one.

The one I lost is GONE! Totally Dead! NO roots. No leaves. No chance of an afterlife.
This may be a good example of plants that Bell Nursery pushes to bloom and to sell--but does not consider the
longevity of the plant as purchased. You see it! You LOVE it! You BUY UT! You PLANT IT!
Then--it does not survive in the average garden conditions...
It is the Reason i do not buy too many plants at HD. And these Primroses were under the name of "Proven Winners"...

Granted--Maybe they were a "New Thing"...So--we were the "Guinea Pigs'.....

I have faith that the surviving one will make it to the next year....We will see.....Gita

I do not know what happened??? At least I got my money back on one of them.

Gita

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I think I have the same Red as Gita.
Here's a page of red DL and I don't think any one matches!
http://dayliliesforsale.com/results

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.