Oriental lilies in Central Florida

Orlando, FL(Zone 10a)

Every year about Easter you see those pretty "Oriental lilies" in the stores. I've been given more than one, and they fail every time. I've tried planting outside and I've tried growing in pots; I've tried sun and shade. Is there a secret to keeping them alive in central Florida or is it just not possible? They don't pop up again the following year or two once they fail, so it appears that it's not a case of dormancy. There doesn't appear to be any disease or pest problem. Thank you.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

they like their roots shaded and their tops in sun. after you plant them, they will die down and totally disappear until the next spring. they also don't require a dry spell in winter the way some plants do. the bulb grows all year so they need to be watered occasionally during winter.
after seeing them all over in people's garden beds, i tried it after easter, 2011. they came back this spring and bloomed beautifully. i have mine behind a big pot on the west side of the house. they stay shaded and happy until they get tall enough to reach the sun. i have an ac drip not too far from them so the soil stays fairly moist but not soggy. they don't like soggy.

hope this helps.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.