What is the best palm fertilizer?

Mesa, AZ

My palms, especially the large ones that are probably 10 years old, and I believe are pygmy date palms are not looking good. Leaves are yellowing, becoming much thinner with less new growth. What is the best fertilizer to use? Lutz spikes? Moon Valley Super Palm Juice or something else? Thanks I really need to get them some help as it is now going to be 110+ for the next week.

Thumbnail by eener Thumbnail by eener Thumbnail by eener
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9b)

Personally I use Vigoro palm fert from HD. I don't know If it is the best, but it has what palms need. As far as the upcoming heat is concerned, fertilizer is not the solution. Fertilizer can do more harm than good in any stressed plant.

Next week is supposed to be a scorcher here too. Not quite 110 but hot enough. I plan to keep all my plants well watered.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

my favorites are Palm Special, a super slow release fertilizer (takes an entire year)- granular... good for applying about before the rainy season (in late summer to fall here)... and then the rest of the year Miracle Gro.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

most damage on your palm looks more like cold or heat damage rather than some sort of nutrient deficiency

Mesa, AZ

Thanks for your help everyone ... Don't think it could be cold this year ... but, heat yes for sure! I know I used something granular, but not sure when. Certainly in the last 9 months. How often do you use Miracle Gro and is it just the regular one? Thanks again!

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

regular one... I have good soil so use it maybe once a year or less... but had I lousy soil, I would be tempted to use it every time I watered.

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Brawndo, it's got what plants crave.

Seriously though, make sure whatever you get has Manganese in it.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I've used Cileated Palm Nutritional by SoutherAg (www.southernag.com) with success on palms that aren't doing well.
For the ones that are doing well, Vigoro once a year, maybe.
Barb

Thumbnail by Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Hhmm. I tried to attach the label file, which is in Adobe Acrobat. Didn't work. Sorry!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.