A garden like a river?

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi- I am looking for advice. I have a very tall cedar stump that is going to be carved into a jumping fish. When I finally found a chainsaw carver, instead of the bear peaking out from the overgrown hedge that I had been thinking of, he suggested a jumping fish, as he saw the raggedy strip as a "river" when he drove in. I have been reclaiming the area from the weeds, I live near Seattle, so it is soggy 8 months but then usually severe summer drought. It is clay, sloping down to the tree stump. I do not actually own the pictured driveway or the grape arbor. I get along great with my neighbors, so if the evergreen hedging past the driveway needs to be trimmed or taken down this could happen.
So now I am designing a 'river": so far my thoughts include a swirling blue river, with ?? swoops of ?blue spring bulbs like muscari 'Blue Spike', fall crocus 'Emperor', spring-summer perennials like maybe Blue phlox subulata, Veronica 'Georgia Blue' or 'Blue Reflection', Lithodora 'Grace Ward' or 'White Star'. To bring it into summer all I could think of is Linum perenne 'Sapphire', or maybe a short Lavender like 'Elagance Sky'. Then for a "beach" how about the Stepable Raoulia australis, which is like grey sand, with some spikes of yellow reblooming Bearded Iris (which seem fairly drought tolerant here) growing out of the beach. I could even get carried away with blue or white waves of Ceanothus and a white very tough Clematis I have 'Paul Farges Summer Snow' crashing up against the stump!
Am I nuts??? You all are very thoughtful and clever and might have great suggestions. (I lurk on this forum but so far unable to help anyone).

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil
This thread has 6 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!