Help... Dying Coconut Palm

West Palm Beach, FL

I have a coconut palm in my backyard that I haven't paid much attention to since I bought my house. Upon close examination I have found that it has a huge hole in the center - you can see right through to the other side. The tree seems healthy otherwise. The hole appears to be getting larger and I have been unable to identify what is causing this.

I'm assuming this tree is pretty much going to die when the first strong windstorm/hurricane comes and blows the crown off. I have 5 more coconut palms in my front yard that I've just noticed small holes forming near the base. I'm not sure if it's the same disease/insect causing these small holes.

Anyone have any ideas what is causing this and what can be done? Thanks for your help!

Thumbnail by rplindsay Thumbnail by rplindsay Thumbnail by rplindsay Thumbnail by rplindsay
noonamah, Australia

That's quite bizarre, never seen anything like that. I've seen where a trunk has been mechanically damaged on the outside and starting some rot. But nothing going straight through like that. You should check around the neighbourhood and see if it's happening elsewhere. If it is then likely the plant nurseries would know about it and give you some advice.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

holes are often caused by beetles (not here in California, but a common Florida problem)... but if not beetles, some other creature perhaps.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Have you noticed woodpeckers? They can make some serious holes.

Erin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.