looking for Bomarea plants

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

I am looking for Bomarea plants for sale, that isn't on ebay.
Not sure I trust ebay and what I am getting exactly and I don't want to try these as seeds.
Has anyone had a good experience with a company that sell Bomarea plants?
Thanks, FH

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

www.anniesannuals.com sometimes carries them--not sure if they have any in stock now, some of their plants tend to come and go. But they have a wish list feature that'll notify you when they get back in stock.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh--I know you said you didn't want eBay, but I've bought from this seller before and been very happy with their plants and he/she pretty regularly has Bomareas available http://myworld.ebay.com/strange_wonderful_things&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSX:SELLERID&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2533

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Yea I would love to order from Annies but her postage is incredibly HUGE to the east coast $30.00 to ship one plant is way out of line. Even for a box of 8 plants doesn't justify the postage costs...to me anyway. I will look at Strange and wonderful things on ebay.
Thanks for the input

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Patti, we can't grow Bomarea vine here - they don't like our heat and humidity. With that being said, if you know someone in California, they can get you a one-gallon plant for under $10. I saw them when I was in Anaheim, but couldn't justify buying and mailing the plant, just to watch it melt. If you DO get one and can get it to do well, let me know. Hugs, Jo

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Jo, I am willing to grow it inside in my den along with a few other heat tenders.
I did find a few on other auction sites but not sure I trust auction sites exactly.
By the time you get them grown out it may not be exactly what you wanted or ordered by then it is way to late...heck I had that happen to me with a plant company, I ordered an expensive plant and it ended up a common once I got the stick grown and flushed, by then it was way too late.
Jo, I know you are willing to try one :-) Aren't you :-)

I guess that could work. You know me - I'm up for the challenge. I'll start looking!

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

You might just be surprised if you hang on :-))

Hang on to WHAT?! LOL You know me - I don't need a LOT in order to hang on!!!

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Just don't do anything just yet is all I am saying...I'm workin' on somethin' here...LOL

Patti, let's turn this into a private dmail, ok?

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I've got seeds and have never had luck getting them to germinate .. any suggestions?

Anne, here's a site that tells how to germinate the seeds:

http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/Bomarea

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks Kay .. I actually found that awhile back and followed the instructions .. no luck .. I'll try again though later on this summer .. I've read they prefer cooler conditions for germination .. I've got 4 in a pot at the moment I started in January .. and still nothing is happening.

I read several sites and one in particular said to use plain old wet peat moss that is kept damp - said it took about 2 weeks for them to germinate. Of course, scarifying with a rasp and soaking in hot water over night will help.

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Do you have Deb's address? (joeswife)
I have some stuff she wanted as well and since I am home I might as well get those out to her

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi Floridaheat -

I was intrigued by your post and this vine - it is beautiful! I have become obsessed with vines and the unusual myself.

Georgia Vines has the Bomarea Salsilla at http://www.georgiavines.com/cart/index.php?zenid=96aq676eulb06e30mh7hgm5rk7&main_page=advanced_search_result&keyword=bomarea&search_in_description=1&categories_id=&inc_subcat=1&manufacturers_id=&pfrom=&pto=&dfrom=&dto=

I have purchased from them before and have had no issues, and their shipping is usually superfast.

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Thank you!! For the moment I have recieved one of an unknown type, but that is OK with me.
Would rather experiment before I dive head long into a big investment.
I too have become quite obsessed with vines and climbers, since most of my gardening area is vertical space right now...thanks for the tip!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.