Silly Garden Art

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Up till now I have had no garden art, or Garden Art, or even garden decorations. Now I do. I wish he would eat the blackberry vine in the backyard. I think I will name him Art. Let's see your Art, or art, or whatever. I got him on the spur of the moment at a place in Sequim, that was busy unpacking a truckload of metal art from Mexico. Some of it was Art, and all of it was very clever.
Also here is my Bartzella Itoh Peony, that stayed standing throughout our stormy June, without support. Also my Geranium magnificum, which is magnificum.

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil
Lake Stevens, WA

Art is very cute! Your place is looking really good.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Wonderful photos. I bought one of the Mexican metal art roosters a couple of years ago. I love the goats, too. I'll post a pic of my rooster named John later. The Itohs look awesome. I meant to add some of those this year, but didn't. Waiting for the prices to come down a bit, I guess.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Love the goat. I bought my DD a metal giraffe from Haiti. Also love the peony and your garden.

Seattle, WA

What about that magnificum kitty???? Are those very short tree peonies? Fabulous color. Love the goat.

kosk- I liked the Roosters too.
Willow-can we see a pic?
velveteena- Magnificum Kitty is Jake, he is old now but loves to "garden" with me.Used to keep my yard, and neighborhood mole-free, but seems to have retired from that.
The peonies are Itoh hybrid peonies, which are a new class of hybrid between herbaceous (the usual garden) peonies and tree peonies. They mostly act like regular herbaceous peonies, but this last very mild winter they did make buds on some of the stalks like a tree peony. Usually they die to the ground. What is especially nice is that they stand up on their own- the ones in the photo above have NO support at all, and we had torrential rains here while they bloomed. The color is more yellow than shows here- fairly bright light clear yellow. I can't seem to capture it with my camera.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I'll see if I can get a picture of the giraffe. She's been building a garage and rearranging her yard so it might be stowed somewhere. There is a catalog I receive that has all kinds of things made in Haiti from old tomato barrels or something like that. They are really neat. I think the catalog is 'West End".

Seattle, WA

You are spoiled rotten for nurseries in your area.When I visit my pal in Lake Stevens, we do the rounds. I even got some great plants right in front of King Charley's burger joint. (Oops! Now I'm hungry!) Where did you buy the peonies?

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Patiently awaiting photos of the giraffe and rooster... There is a shop on Camano Island that has some very colorful metal roosters that are about 6' tall, pretty cool. I'd love to plant one in my front field. Last time I was there, none of them were priced, so no clue how much they might be.

velveteena- A&D Peonies, in ?Clearview? Maltby? was a very fun trip. It seems to be a long established family nursery, with zillions of varieties growing right there. I went in springtime 4 years ago, and the owner helped me pick some out, using my criteria of "no support needed". (the pic is tree peony 'Tria"). Then in the fall they came in the mail. Humongous roots. You can just order on the web but it was fun to visit, just don't plan on bringing them home yet. Easy to combine with visit to Flower World or Molbak's Nurseries.

Thumbnail by Pistil
Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Here is my rooster. He is in my area that is fenced off for deer. He is about 3 feet tall, I think.

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

More garden art.

Thumbnail by kosk0025 Thumbnail by kosk0025

kosk- Yours is Art too!
I see you keep the rooster behind the fence, safe from the foxes.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Love it. Great rooster. Neat birdhouse.

This shrub seems to have a little cave in it. I wonder what might live there...

Thumbnail by Pistil

Let's take a look.

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil
Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

mlm, I love Art! And the cave dweller -- nice picture story, lol. Thanks for sharing!

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

Very Fun!

Spokane, WA(Zone 6a)

I am hoping to make it over the big 'hill' this Feb for the Seattle Garden show. While there, I would like to buy some concrete or resin statues. I always make the Gargoyle Shop (collect gargoyles) in the University district, Sky's and Molbaks. Are there other outlets I should visit? (I would greatly appreciate knowing about any small artisan shop tucked in a secluded corner.) TIA

Thumbnail by OniOni

I can't think of anywhere else. In fact you seem to know about more Seattle places than I do (An entire shop for Gargoyles?). The Garden Show should have zillions of venders, although they may not bring anything very big with them.
If you were also contemplating a visit to "the rainy side" in June, there is an event in Everett called "Sorticulture" which is specifically aimed at garden art venders, although of course there are lots of plant venders and others there too.
p.s. love the toad castle!

Spokane, WA(Zone 6a)

https://www.gargoylestatuary.com

Here you go Mimi, do you know if leashed dogs are allowed in Legion Park? I could find no reference to this on the Sorticulture or Park sites. Sorticulture sounds like the place to be. Thanks.

Yes there were dogs there, also having a lovely time, and there are lots of trees for shade and outdoor food/seating. However I am not sure about the getting there. Parking at Legion Park is very limited, so for big events like this, they have free parking at a local Shopping Center, and a special city bus that goes back and forth to the event. It was very easy to use but I do not know if dogs are allowed. Everett is a modest sized city, so I am sure if you do not mind walking a half to one mile you would find parking in a neighborhood. Then when you go to leave, people who have too much to carry on the bus leave it in a special area, then drive back to pick it up.

Spokane, WA(Zone 6a)

Oh dear, doubt they will let my two Great Danes on the bus. Thanks for the heads up on the parking.

Bellevue, WA(Zone 8a)

Garden art...OH HECK YEAH...

Here is a small sampling

Thumbnail by in2art Thumbnail by in2art Thumbnail by in2art Thumbnail by in2art Thumbnail by in2art
Bellevue, WA(Zone 8a)

And some more...

Thumbnail by in2art Thumbnail by in2art Thumbnail by in2art Thumbnail by in2art Thumbnail by in2art
Bellevue, WA(Zone 8a)

And finally....

For OniOni - I got my gargoyle (Benedict) at Gargoyle shop in U Dist many years ago, and I also have a pair of Danes...

Thumbnail by in2art Thumbnail by in2art
Bellevue, WA(Zone 8a)

I have parked in a neighborhood nearby to Sorticulture and walked there. So you could bring dogs. They have lots and lots of yard art, some of mine has come from there...but nothing that I posted photos of (this is only a SMALL sampling of what I have).

Another couple of places I like are Fleur de Lis (http://www.fleurdelisgardenornaments.com/) for cement items and there is another statuary place along I-405 (http://www.baronegarden.com/). Sky Nursery (you mentioned it) has some interesting/nice things, as does Squak Mountain (http://squakmtnursery.com/)...they have a lot of metal sculpture done by really fine artists, as well as 'towers' for really large hanging pots (#10 Anderson pots) and all of the heavy duty hardware to make that happen.

Fleur de lis is typically at the NW Flower & Garden show and has (past few years) put everything on sale 50% off on Sunday. Much of what they do is to take orders for delivery later, so perhaps you could arrange for pick up in June when you come back for Sorticulture...or perhaps schedule another trip. Also at NWFGS is a vendor (can't recall name) who sells LOTs of the mexican metal sculpture (like the goat and rooster above)

Hope to see you there...

Spokane, WA(Zone 6a)

In2art…..nice blues, how old, related? I will be sure to check out those stores you mentioned.
Here are some of my garden arts and a picture of Slick and Pony for you.

Thumbnail by OniOni Thumbnail by OniOni Thumbnail by OniOni Thumbnail by OniOni Thumbnail by OniOni
Bellevue, WA(Zone 8a)

I like your pics. What is the hooded figure made of and what is size? Hard to get a sense of scale.

Kona is going to be 8 in February. Olive turned 6 in July. Kona was a rescue from Craigslist and Olive was found on a highway. We were fostering her while all searched for owner. No one ever came forward, so she just stayed in our family...

Oh I love the Art you both have, and the Dogs too.
Perhaps we might set a day to all have lunch at Sorticulture?

Spokane, WA(Zone 6a)

The French pleurant (weeper) is made of resin and about 26 " tall. I painted her to give her more depth and interest. The elephant vase is almost four feet tall.
And thank you in2art for rescuing Kona and Olive. I work closely with several rescues and am on the board of directors for a donkey sanctuary. Just love those longears and rescued lots of donkeys from kill pens.
I won't know if I can make it to the Feb flower show until just about the last minute for I have far too many irons in the fire right now. But Sorticulture should be something I can make, unless I have a dog show at that time. I would love to meet you guys from the other side of the hill. Let's keep in touch.

Bellevue, WA(Zone 8a)

I would love to meet up at Sorticulture. Or NWFGS or both.

That would be fun. I don't have my Feb work schedule yet so can't commit to anything at the Flower Show. Starting new thread for Sorticulture.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.