Tranquility Garden Design Help..please

Berkeley Springs, WV(Zone 6a)

Greetings All
Can anyone give me advice on shrubs to grow in the partial shade of a Walnut?? I am creating a Tranquility Garden room and wish to make walls of shrubs. The roots are far reaching and I know the jugalon can kill many plants.
I have planted 1 rose in the sunny area because I read they are not affected by the walnuts defense system.
Can anyone re assure me on this fact?? It has been 3 weeks and the rose (Golden Celebrations) is blooming and seems pretty healthy so far.
I was planning to use mostly roses for the walls in the sunny areas....no sign of that nasty rose disease here yet!!
However I need ideas for the part shade area. I am not planting directly under the tree but my Walnut is huge and providing shade in part of the garden area. I'm in WV zone 6ish.
Thanks in advance for any ideas!!
Green Blessings
Ayla

This thread has 4 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!