How About those Dwarf Butterfly Bushes?

Warrenton, VA

Since I am going to rip out those RDD affected rose bushes (only 1 has it but I have a pair so if one goes, both must), I am really thinking about getting a couple of dwarf Butterfly Bushes (Buddleia). Anyone have them? Thoughts? They cannot grow more than about 3 feet wide by about the same in height, as they will be in front of newly-planted hollies that are hybridized and perfect for the tight spot I have given them...

My little cinderblock cottage is small (50' long), symmetrical, and simple. But boy do I have fun putting in plants!

I bought those "carefree" roses on a whim, and loved them, but as they are showing sings of that dread disease, out they go! And it's a nice day, after all that drama last night with the weather...

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I'll show you my 3 year old, I haven't had much success with these. Your climate a little milder you might have more success.
I pic'd these with my keychain camera (they'll pass) This is the only one I've ever gotten to grow(variegated red).
Pic's aren't that good I know, maybe you can find one you like(some varieties of the plant too) New ones all the time.

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Gracye, I have semi-dwarf buddleia bushes. They were supposed to get up to 3-4 feet tall. I bought them last fall, when they were about 2 feet tall. Now, they are about 4.5 - 5 feet tall.

There were varieties that were supposed to get taller, but ~4 feet is what I was going for.

It gets sun from about 11 am on. The thing is, I can't remember the cultivar name! But I like it fine. I have a feeling it would have stayed smaller if I'd been more brutal about pruning it in March.

Warrenton, VA

thanks, Juhur7, for the informative shots. They are cooling my heels a bit. Added to your shots is the comment by ssgardener, about the HEIGHT! Yikes! I'm not ready to rip out more $$$ stuff...you know? I keep thinking back to the days of learning gardening from my Dad, who, I swear, never bought something that he had to rip out. And I really don't remember him being picky, either.

Guess I have to learn my own way, and just go for certain things and stay away from all the new-fangled trends...

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

The thing is I gave I think 2.95 for that at a vegetable stand that had a few other plants.It hasn't done all as well as expected and the blooms are a little disapointing.The one in the pic is barely two feet tall after three years, this being number four.
If you like the variegated follaige its nice,only as said the blooms on this dwarf aren't much and the plant easily stressed,temp changes, fungus, drought, etc. The only thing good I have to say about it is it's there and it's growing and the variegation looks nice.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

I saw one in my mother-in-law's garden, and it was a lovely little plant with a lot of flowers. She had it in a pot and the plant looked pretty neat. However, because the flowers were heavy and the branches were softer than those on standard butterfly bushes, the plant was wider than tall. It was about 2' - 3' wide and 1' tall. Maybe the branches will get stronger when the plant is older. I am not sure.

New York, NY(Zone 7a)

Do any of these posts refer to the newer Proven Winners dwarf series, "Lo & Behold", that starts with "Blue Chip" and "Purple Haze"?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Not mine it's a proven winners "knight" series. Saying it is the only plant of six different that lived.The others weren't proven winners.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Mine's definitely not Blue Chip. I wanted something a bit taller than that. I really can't remember the name of this cultivar, though.

From what I've read, Blue Chip does stay pretty low to the ground.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Don't remember which variety my MIL's was. The flowers were blue.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.