SEBASTIAN THE CRAB

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

I've been growing SEBASTIAN THE CRAB for 3 years now, but have never seen it bloom. I bought it from a local garden where it was doing very well, so I know it will grow in my climate. I paid more than I'll usually pay for a daylily because I wanted it so bad. I'm cheap. LOL
To my disappointment, I watched it go from 2 fans to 1 in a year. This spring it was turning yellow and wasn't growing so I did some investigating and discovered it had pulled it's self down too deep. I pulled it back up, but it continued to just sit there and yellow until finally the crown just fell off. All that was left were healthy looking roots and the bump where the crown used to be. I lost it. And until the price for it goes down, I wouldn't be replacing it. Instead of throwing it out as I'd done with other plants at this stage. I decided I'd try to rescue it if I could, though I really didn't think anything would work to bring it back. I wasn't ready to except it was lost so I was going to try anyway. I soaked the whole thing in a mild bleach bath for a few hours. Then I let it air dry and potted it up in new clean soil. The next week I gave it some alfalfa tea. This was about a month ago. The other day I looked down and noticed 2 new small crowns starting to form on it. Oh Happy Day! I remember reading somewhere once, that if you lose the crown, the plant is toast. Obviously, that's not the case. I'll no longer throw out any of my plants that fade away to just roots and a bump. As long as the roots are healthy, it can be saved.

First photo is from Tinkers

Second photo is SEBASTIAN THE CRAB today.

Thumbnail by Joy Thumbnail by Joy
La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Keep after it, Joy. It really is a nice plant and bloom in our yard. I admire your persistence with it.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Joy, I am happy for you. Glad you decided not to give up !

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Gingerjar and Mike.:-) Maybe the alfalfa tea will make it grow fast enough, that I'll finally see bloom by next year too.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Joy, did you use the pellets or the meal to make the tea ? Do tell !

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

I used the pellets and added Epsom salt and Fish Emulsion. It was pretty stinky stuff. LOL I used it on all my plants this year and so far I'm impressed with the results. Think I'll continue to use it.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Just catching up and saw this. Joy I am so glad you did that and are seeing results. I lost a few during the winter and am just ill about some of them.

Cartersville, GA

Joy, I am so happy for you! Blooms on Sebastian The Crab will be worth the wait. It is encouraging that you were able to save it. Maybe we all need to be a little more patient and vigilant. How long did you soak the alfalfa pellets and how much alfalfa and water? We had some fans to shrink over the winter, and this tea may just be what they need.

Doris

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Never heard of giving them alfalfa tea...... please give more details for us inexperienced people. I have some that do well, and in the same bed just a few feet away I have some that are shrinking instead of growing....maybe I need to try this!!

Good luck with your babying..... looks like the blooms will be worth it if you can manage to salvage it. Looks like you are well on the way!

Genna

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Here's Sebastian today.

Thumbnail by gingerjar

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.