Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Daylilies: SEBASTIAN THE CRAB, 1 by Joy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Joy

Subject: SEBASTIAN THE CRAB

Forum: Daylilies

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of SEBASTIAN THE CRAB
Joy wrote:
I've been growing SEBASTIAN THE CRAB for 3 years now, but have never seen it bloom. I bought it from a local garden where it was doing very well, so I know it will grow in my climate. I paid more than I'll usually pay for a daylily because I wanted it so bad. I'm cheap. LOL
To my disappointment, I watched it go from 2 fans to 1 in a year. This spring it was turning yellow and wasn't growing so I did some investigating and discovered it had pulled it's self down too deep. I pulled it back up, but it continued to just sit there and yellow until finally the crown just fell off. All that was left were healthy looking roots and the bump where the crown used to be. I lost it. And until the price for it goes down, I wouldn't be replacing it. Instead of throwing it out as I'd done with other plants at this stage. I decided I'd try to rescue it if I could, though I really didn't think anything would work to bring it back. I wasn't ready to except it was lost so I was going to try anyway. I soaked the whole thing in a mild bleach bath for a few hours. Then I let it air dry and potted it up in new clean soil. The next week I gave it some alfalfa tea. This was about a month ago. The other day I looked down and noticed 2 new small crowns starting to form on it. Oh Happy Day! I remember reading somewhere once, that if you lose the crown, the plant is toast. Obviously, that's not the case. I'll no longer throw out any of my plants that fade away to just roots and a bump. As long as the roots are healthy, it can be saved.

First photo is from Tinkers

Second photo is SEBASTIAN THE CRAB today.