Trying to find the origin of my Shasta Daisies

Crozet, VA

Some years ago at one of the past swaps I was given starts of Shasta Daisies. I cannot recall who gave them to me, but I am happy to report that they are doing wonderfully, seem to like living here and hopefully will keep up their current growth and beauty. At the most recent plant swap we shared some of these with Happy McComb and she has some questions that I cannot answer. I am hoping that the donor of the Daisies will step up and help answer some of the questions she has.

So.....would the person who was sharing Shasta Daisies some years ago at the swaps, please step forward. We have some questions for you. Please also feel free to ask any other questions regarding any of your other plants here. Always good to have a place to learn even more about the things we all hold so dear.

Thanks in advance for any hints or tips for care, they will be much appreciated.

Ruby

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I 'think' that was me - if they are really tall ones! I also thought I totally got rid of them, nope, they came back with a vengeance!

Crozet, VA

Hahaha....you are just way too cute Becky. Always good for a laugh, which I much appreciate. Hey these things have gone gang busters here too. We have two pretty good size spots full of them and this is with often digging them up and potting for sale.

Alright, I now need to go back and re-read some of the questions regarding their care and ask you. Off topic, I have been trying to come up with a date to visit you during June. I will let you know as soon as I confer with chauffeur and see what his schedule is.

Generally speaking, did you do any thing in particular in terms of care for the S. Daisies? All I can remember that we have ever done is to plant them and they have pretty much taken care of themelves with very little assistance from us.

In case I haven't yet properly thanked you for them, please accept my gratefulness for such a wonderful addition to our flower beds. The daisies and all the other lovelies you have shared with us over the years. You are the very best Becky.

Ruby

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Aweeeeee - nope, haven't done anything but try, and failing miserably, to kill them, eradicate, dig 'em up, torch them...they are the plant that will never, ever go away - beloved by Japanese beetles and other horrifying critters too gruesome to name (or get close to)

Crozet, VA

Bec....Happy may change her mind on wanting them if she reads your review. hahaha Ours have been very well behaved and are generally staying where they are planted. This being said, we haven't tried moving them or getting rid of them. I might have the same sentiments as yourself should we try to do either.

Yeah, I would say the consensus is that if Happy can get them started that she will have a grand showing of daisies.
Thanks Bec.

Ruby

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'll report back -- previously, at least, my soil is too slow draining to make Shastas happy... but I am an optimist.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

If you hit them with a propane torch you may get rid of them ( not really -- but almost ) i love the flower - it is so happy. But the rest...the splitting and falling over.....not so much.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Exactly - once it cools down enough for me to be outside I am taking some shears to them and chopping them down - the storm knocked them over of course...

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Ruby---

It could have also been Moi.
I have a clump of Shastas that I always try to keep within bounds.
Digging away the peripheral plants and sharing them is the way to do it.

They ARE beautiful and very self-sufficient.
Yes! They spread--and spread...Knowing that--give them a place to colonize.
They require NO care whatsoever--except dead-heading the first wave of blooms
to, hopefully, get a return bloom. Their blooms last a long time.

In comparison--3 years ago I decided to seed some Alaska Daisies. Very similar.
The first year--they just grew. The second year--they bloomed--for a very short time.
This year--same thing. The blooms just do not last a long time.
The AK Daisy is taller and lankier than the Shasta. Not as "crisp" looking.
Maybe the weather is too warm here?

Space is at a premium around my neck of the woods. I believe I will be digging these up to share....

Two years ago--I gave my daughter 3 plants of Montouk Daisies. They all were in a 6" pot.
In ONE year--these covered an area 3' square. They are bizarre!

Gita

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Gita: Do the daisies need supplemental water? Ruby was sweet enough to share some with me, and I am wondering if I can use them on my awful front hill.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

overall--I would say, that once astablished, they do not need anything.
Oh, when I water the bed--I water the daisies as well--but they are very
forgiving and able to survive on their own.

Mine have been growing in my "YUK" bed for years.
Don't know about a hill--I think once established--they would do fine....
g.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Gita!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

What's not to love about daisies?

Shastas and Goldstrums and Heliopsis Daisies.

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Crozet, VA

Again Happy, if the ones we gave you don't survive, say the word and more and more will be yours.

Ruby

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thank you Ruby!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I need ti hack my clump too. It is starting to grow up and over the back edging--which is
the size of a telephone pole...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.