Need Advice on my Mums

Clifton Hill, MO

I didn't get around to pinching back my mums and they are now blooming out. They are about a foot tall. Can I cut them back about halfway to make them bushy or is it too late? What do I do now?Thanks for your help.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I always do one shearing right before 4th of July, they always seem to bud again and bloom

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Same here. After that first Spring bloom, I cut mine down to about 6-8 inches and they reliably bloom again late summer/early fall.

Clifton Hill, MO

Thanks for your help.

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Surely. Glad to help.

FURLONG, PA

Mum question. Does it matter if you clip your mums in the spring with a hedge trimmer to do it quickly and to help provide a better shape, or must you really pinch each bud by hand? I have only seen advice that mentions "pinching" but I have so many plants now, I decided to clip them quickly with my hedge trimmer. I did this in early June,and then again in mid-July. But as it is now mid-August, I was surprised to find no buds. Did I goof? or will the buds return this year in time for a nice fall bloom.
To summarize, is clipping OK, or have I committed a mortal error of clipping rather than pinching.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I use grass shears and do it all at once, hasn't hurt them a bit

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I think your problem is the mid-July trimming time, not necessarily the hedge trimmer (although if you sheared them back a bit too far, that could contribute as well). You're only about a month past your last trimming so that's probably not enough time for them to make buds yet (as long as you didn't trim them back too far I think you could still get blooms this year, just a little later than you'd hoped) Next year if you want them blooming sooner, I'd stop trimming/shearing/pinching after the 4th of July and see if that helps.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Yup July 4th is the normal last trim/pinch for me too. I usually start pinching as soon as the growth is 4" or so, every week til July 4 (or the week of). I wish I had pix of one plant I had several year ago, it was 4ftx4ft and no green could be seen as the blooms were SOOOO prolihic.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Phoenix, AZ

I use Hedge shears to cut when they grow tall.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.