First Lillies

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Sounds great Teri, I will def take you up on that offer, thanks

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

Just let me know in advance, Jen. I'm away babysitting very often.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Oh yeah, I wouldn't just pop in on ya

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Some more
Think the 1st was id'ed as Vermeer

Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

gorgoeus!

My Casa blancas are in bud- some of the smaller sprouts are turning all yellow and brown.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have a couple new ones opening up. Nothing spectacular.....
Same ones I have always had...Love the old red one.....

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Mine are starting to pop out all over. Sorry no names, just pretty flowers.
This one is as pretty on the back as it is on the front. I have been growing these for a couple of years now and this is the first time they have bloomed. They were just very tiny plants in a coffee cup when I got them from one of the swaps.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Lilies

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Ooooh. So many beautiful lilies!

The lilies have been mostly eaten by deer :-(. This is the only one I have. It is a Calla 'Picasso'.

Thumbnail by donnerville

Oh, so Gita is my source of the tall red one.

donner- its a shame but if you can only have the one lily, that sure is gorgeous.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally--

I did divide all my Lilies and took them to Jill's plant swap--I think it was the fall one in 2010 (?)

I remember I had a box-full of divisions--begging people to take the last ones...
I replanted many in my own garden--and they are all huge at this time.
Did not do a whole lot last year--maybe just settling in.

This red Lily is one I "rescued" from my neighbor's garden before the new owners
(the fence builders) moved in and cut everything down and dug everything up.
I also "rescued" my Snow Cap Iris from the yard.
She had nice bulbs as her father was Dutch and owned a bulb Nursery.

G.

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Donner: Does your Calla lily overwinter? Mine are in pots....

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Happy, they are not hardy in our zone. After digging up a few clumps last year I left the rest in the ground because I just didn't have time to deal with them. They managed to survive the mild winter. That was the first time that I ever saw callas survive the winter in our area.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

That's what I was afraid of....

My callas survive. I keep moving them and burying them under other plants. My dads callas survived, multiplied and bloomed. He was in Linthicum, near Baltimore, possibly a half or quarter zone milder than Montgomery Co and DC or west.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally, your winter is probably slightly warmer than mine because you are closer to the sea. My callas didn't survive even when I lived in Fairfax VA which is slightly warmer than where I am now. Maybe I should try to leave some of them out again this winter just to see if they can make it.

I leave all my Callas in pots and bring them in the garage for the winter. The pots are not visible when I put them on top of the Vinca. When they're done, I just bring them to the far end of the property and put other pots with annual seeds blooming in their place to fill that spot.

Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

RRR--

How quickly do calla Lily's bulbs multiply? In what manner?

I take it your garage does not freeze. I would be putting mine in the Shop--the lowest level in my house.
It is 80% underground and does not have hardly any light. NO heat vent either.

This is where all my Brugs and Clivias spend the winter as well.

Your callas are gorgeous!!!! Gita

Thanks, Gita. I had to put the clumps in much larger pots this year. They went from a 6 inch pot to some 12 to 15 inch pots in 2 years. My garage has 2 large windows in it. Not completely dark by any means. I watered them once a month in the cold weather and a little more often as it got warmer.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Some years my callas have gone in the garage, which was comletely dark (we just put in new garage doors with windows -- I may regret that, but they really don't add in too much light). No special treatment -- I just pull the pots in when it gets to 32 degrees outside. I have never watered my callas over the winter when they are in the garage. Last year I think they maybe went into the room above the garage by mistake -- where they would have been watered and there are lots of windows. They are doing really well this year, so maybe they liked being in the room over the garage, if that is where they were.... I always mean to mark down where plants go for the winter, and often forget....

This message was edited Jun 22, 2012 8:27 AM

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Happy--

One last question-----
Do the Callas die back to the ground in the winter--or do they remain as leafy plants?

Most bulbs die back completely. Thanks--Gita

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm so sorry -- I really didn't pay attention this year. I think they were in the garage AND they didn't die back completely, though I didn't water them. I try to put them in the garage, but I think this past year they may have gone to the room over the garage (which has a lot of windows). Either way works, but they definitely don't die back if watered and they get sunlight.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks--Happy.....Gita

Casa Blanca looking allright on the left but then couple small stems are browning?? any clue why? and my very feeble pink rose with a very nice new cane and bud.

This message was edited Jun 24, 2012 8:30 PM

Thumbnail by sallyg
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Just planted Lilies I received from Teri(Roses)
Thanks again! Teri...LOVE THEM

Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh they are both beautiful. Love the white ones.
Daylilies

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly---
I love Lilies with ruffled edges! It elevates them to a higher level.

Very pretty! Gita

Glad that you're happy with them, Jen. Can't believe they survived the trip and still look great. Your rocks are being well cared for here.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh there are just so many beautiful ones. Those pink ones are just short little things.

I just dug up a very large clump of this Wine Red one and gave half of it to the new neighbors and split the other half into smaller pots. Five pots with 2 fans in each pot. I still have 2 large clumps of the same one to split up move around and give away.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Missed the picture

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

That's a pretty , dark, and wine-ey-er red than my red ones. Or do you think this is within possible color variation due to sun etc?

Thumbnail by sallyg
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I def think the soil plays a factor too, pull up a variety up in plant filies and see how everyone's pics vary in color for the same flower

First Oriental of the season 'Touching'

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

No Sally they are all very much a red wine almost purple color.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Back on line after a week. Gotta post some photos somewhere, so here are some of our lilies in bloom today:
Acapulco
Muscadet
Pandora
Show Winner
Tiger Woods

Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh David they are just beautiful. I had a Tiger Woods but it never did grow for me. I have been wondering what it would have looked like.

I must say that the scent coming from this corner of the yard is heavenly.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

This one was sold to me as 'Sixth Sense', which is all deep red and glossy. Obviously, this is something else. Anyone recognize it?

Thumbnail by greenthumb99
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Way nice you all. I'm duly impressed!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

David/Pat---

Would you have any idea what these are called? I have dug some up for Chantelle--as they are
immensely fragrant. The bulbs look like regular Daffodil bulbs.

They bloom a bit later than the others in clusters of many small blooms.
I am not even sure they are daffodils???
After blooming, the stems seem to grow taller yet and take forever to die back.

Here are some pictures. Posted these also on another Thread here. Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Gita, those are Double daffodil 'Erlicheer' and they are fragrant! Hope you don't mind my responding. My apologies if you only wished to hear from Ric and Holly on the id.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/38286/

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Judy! I never bothered finding out what they were.

I am sure Chantelle will love them.....If anyone else just "has to have these"--I could share
by digging up another clump.
G.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.