First Lillies

Lancaster, PA(Zone 6a)

The lilies are starting to open. I think the wet spring has done them well. If my memory serves me, this one is "Enchantment." If not it is from that general series.

This message was edited May 28, 2012 10:00 AM

Thumbnail by linuxogre
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Nice lily and beautiful picture! How tall does this one get? How long does your lily season last up there in Lancaster?

If Ric and Holly hold another plant swap like they did last weekend, be sure to come as they are just down the road from you in Dover. I know lots of folk grow lilies but I just admire them. Please share pictures of you other s as they come into bloom. Thanks

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I love lilies too. Some of mine have succeeded -- and others not so much.

Lancaster, PA(Zone 6a)

We should have a couple of weeks or so before the lilies are pretty much done. It depends a lot on the exposure and microclimate they are grown in. These are between three and four feet tall. It has taken them about three years to really take hold. There was a huge abelia behind them that I cut back to the ground this year and it has made a difference.

I only put in about a dozen just to see how they would do and they have made a nice follow on to the iris. I'll probably add to them since they have done pretty well. So far the squirrels and bunnies have left them alone.

The photo is of a shady area under a crabapple when the azaleas were about done blooming. It is a good spot for hostas.

Roger

Thumbnail by linuxogre
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

My lilies are just starting, The first ones just came out and there are a lot more to bloom. I will post a few pictures as they appear. Probably won't have names for them. I always start out with names but seem to lose or mix them up in the end. Very pretty pictures.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I have this one, Asiatic border lily noid? Got these clearance at the grocery couple/3 years ago . They've stayed about 15 inches tall.

Thumbnail by sallyg
Lancaster, PA(Zone 6a)

Pretty lily.

As I recall I got an "assortment" of a dozen or so with some of this and that in it. Many of my asiatics are tall but a number are less than two feet. In scratching around them to try (hah!) and get the weeds out, I found a couple of tiny ones that I suspect are seedings. It will be fun to see what comes from them.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

First bloom Day Lily,

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Pretty! Color might be Happy Returns though mine is not about to bloom yet.
My first DL is Suzie Wong, been blooming more than a week. Now H. fulva is starting.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

It could be, seems I remember having a Happy Returns. Most of mine came from John & Ruby but I have picked up a few more here and there. John gave me names for all the DL but I have mixed them up somewhere along the line.

Lancaster, PA(Zone 6a)

The next group are starting to open. As I recall, these were Stargazers but I don't recall the particular name. These are 4 - 5 feet tall.

Thumbnail by linuxogre Thumbnail by linuxogre
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

a couple opened here

Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen
Lancaster, PA(Zone 6a)

Beautiful! The gold lily is gorgeous.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I don't know what they are, they survived the munching of the deer. I like the deep orange color. Think I need to get more

Thumbnail by Jan23
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful,
I have two more daylilies that have opened. Both yellow but they are different heights and shades of yellow.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

Beautiful lilies!! Mine are starting to open!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Asiatic lily 'Satin Slippers' blooming today.

Thumbnail by aspenhill Thumbnail by aspenhill

Beautiful lilies. OOooohh those Satin Slippers!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Gorgeous, Mine haven't bloomed yet but they are huge some well over 6ft.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

aspenhill what a beautiful sight to see in the special wake up time of dawn. Thanks for sharing that with us.May inspire me to move beyond ditch lilies and stellas.! What do you do with the stalk on the tall ones after blooming is finished? Where are your satin slippers planted?

linoxogre those purple stargazers are quite luscious. I saw a site where one special daylily sold for 110 dollars! Are all of yours 'bargains'? Will short lilies stay short or do they get taller as they get older?

Thanks for the lovelies all.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Yooo Hooo---Nancy!!!

I have a few to share too. many others are all in bud.

This first one is from seed that I got from nancy (nminmd) at the seed Swap in Frederick.
About 3 years ago--Jill--you already had Joyanna..it was the Swap where I did all the funny cations to go
along with the pictures. "Froggy's" necklace was Joyanna's main interest....
What year was this?? 2009????

Well--one of them opened up. They both have been in post since--NOT in the ground....
Anyway--Nancy gave me seeds to 2 of her "crossed" D-Lilies. I have the Id's somewhere on little pieces of paper...

Here is one of her "creations'.....will D-mail it to nancy--as we do not see her posting anywhere much.
Maybe I am just not visiting the right Forums...

That second bud never opened up. It just rotted in bud. maybe i watered it wrong????

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Two different shades of pink Oriental D-Lilies.
These already bloomed in May. The light pink one is still open.

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here are some Stellas co-blooming with my Carpet Rose.
I always love this combo!

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

This is the Chinese Rregale Lily alba---Many of you may remember how much I loved these
after my trip to Latvia.
Last fall--I dug them all up and moved them to my S. exposure bed from that tiny bed facing East.
I DO think many of them "petered out"--The huge "Homeymoon" Lilies are not even blooming any more.
Maybe they just need to re-settle. maybe I should just buy some new bulbs--now that they can have
sun all afternoon.

SO! here is the first one of these. They are on tall, wiry stems that can grow to 5'-6' tall.
HUGELY fragrant!!!!

Thumbnail by Gitagal
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

How GORGEOUS are those Satin Slippers?

Loved that crossed DL, Gita

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Roses, every time I see my little clumps of 5 lily bulbs scattered here and there, I think of you and how you said that your lily bulbs have really multiplied to the point where you are trying to thin them out. The masses of them that you have must be beautiful in bloom. Coleup, my place is mostly deciduous forest - these lilies are planted on the north side of the house in what I call the 'Turret Foundation Bed'. It is about 5-8' of garden space around the house, then a 3' walkway, and then the forest where I have the 'Hillside Shade Garden' starts. It is almost all shade - I guess that is the difference between Roses' lilies multiplying in sun vs mine just maintaining in shade. I've planted mostly Oriental or Orienpet which bloom later in the season. These are Asiatic which bloom much earlier - I need to get more Asiatics into the garden...

Gita, what beautiful lilies! I love the daylily you grew from seed - it must give you so much satisfaction to nurture it the many years it takes to get it to blooming age, and the color is my favorite - I'm extremely partial to the pink/mauve/purple shades LOL!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita, I remember that swap I got a few seeds as well. How wonderful yours grew and bloomed. What a beautiful Lily

Do Calla Lilies belong on this thread. Is there a different thread for Daylilies also.

I think the Calla is Amethyst, then Eyeliner (my favorite), then Jerry Pate DL, then Black Out, then a mix.

Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

RRR---
Beautiful!!!!! Love the 2nd one.

I am about to plant my very first Calla Lily someone gave me. It is called
"Black Star" and it came from Brent and Beckys" bulbs.
I will plant it in a 12" pot as it says I have to bring it in for the winter.

You are in z6--one zone colder that I am. Do you bring yours in?
Some people leave them in the ground and they come back.

Please advise of any special care they need.

Thanks---Gita.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

LOVE Eyeliner!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Had to track down the post of that Seed Swap to get Nancy's DG name.
It wasFeb. 27, 2010. Sent her a D-mail with a picture of the lily.

Here is the link to the Swap. Everyone just had to hold Joyanna!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1078562

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

another NOID Asiatic, really deep orange

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I agree about Eyeliner, What a difference that little accent color on the edge makes, very beautiful.

Gita, all my Callas are in pots. (12) and I put them in the garage in the winter. I feed them with Aggrand's 4-3-3 when I put them out and then Aggrand's Bonemeal when they start blooming.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I like the asiatic Eyeliner lily too - one to add to the list for getting more asiatics into my garden.

I have the names somewhere.......need to look thru my files.

Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

LOVE that dark dl

I'm pretty sure that come from John and Ruby during a swap a couple of years ago.; I need desperately to split them and all the others. I think this is done after they bloom. If you want to come and dig them out and split them, you can have one of each. Jen, I was talking to my neighbor about your need for rocks and he said you could come up and take all you want. They are not the really big ones. I think they might be around the size of a softball (larger or smaller). In spring you should remember to come up here when the woody tree line is dormant. You could get some really big stuff out of it. I don't have much of my blooms marked, but I'll try to remember to mark the dark one and the eyeliner when they're finished blooming. Oooops. Stargazer is there twice and I don't know how to delete an image.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Roses they are all really beautiful. JR is here today so he took my camera around the yard and took some pictures of mine. I will get them downloaded and see how they turned out.

gorgeous stuff, you all

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.