ignorance on tomatoes and deer

Endicott, NY

I just never thought about it cause i have always planted tomatoes in the back which is fenced in. Thought I would put a grape tomatoe plant in an urn by the front walkway. Will the deer eat it? Also, please, does anyone know if the grape tomato "sweet Olive" is determinate or indeterminate? The tag doesn't specify. Thanks

Dearborn, MI

Don't know about sweet olive, but deer love tomato plants. Will eat the plant to a stub post haste.

Endicott, NY

Thanks. Guess I'll nix that idea!

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

Plant files ( http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/99748/ ) lists it as a determinate as does Johnny's Seeds.

Endicott, NY

thank you!

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

I've grown tomatoes against our fence and deer have ignored them.

I have a friend who did the same, and the deer ate hers down to the ground.

So, I guess it depends on the deer! Our deer are on their way to drink from a nearby creek. Perhaps they don't like to stop and eat on the way.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

It also depends on how many deer are around. Even plants that are deer resistant might still get tasted by deer. If you have 20 deer they are going to do a lot more damage then 5 deer tasting. They found my garden last year, due to the drought, and ate it down to nothing. They were starving they had nothing to loss. I have never haf a problem with any that were growing close to the garden fence.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Lisa, you might be on to something.

We live near a greenway, plus there are lots of trees in our neighborhood with plenty of shrub browse for the deer. They do eat my neighbor's hostas - guess they are too much of a temptation.

Dahlonega, GA

I have woods across the road and all around me . I'm lucky if I have azalias bloom that are growing on the road . They just eat the bloom tips off in the winter . Dogs keep them away from the hosta in the summer.

Canyon Lake, TX(Zone 9b)

we have deer coming up and eating tortillas at our gate, yesterday they ate my norfolk pine tree, and they ate my trumpet flower that was in full bloom right down to the ground. Other than the tortillas, they have never eaten my pine, or the purple trumpet flower, stem and all! I know they will taste everything, but this is a first time in the 12 years we have lived here!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.