Unknown tomatoes

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

I have planted all my tomatoes. Some of the plant markers (variety) have disappeared. Now, not knowing if they are determinate or Indeterminate, I don't know if I should pinch. Advice, please.
AND, if I were to try to add epsom salt to some plants that are in containers, how much to add per gallon of water?

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Please don't smile too much but I don't pinch anything like suckers, which are really lateral branches, on either determinates OR indeterminates. And can give the reasons again for the indet although I've done that many times here.

Just curious why you want to add Epsom Salts to your containers unless you know that you don't have enough Mg++ or sulfate there b'c Epsom salts is magnesium sulfate.

Perhaps you meant to say something with Ca++ in it which many who grow tomatoes in containers add to help prevent BER ( blossom end rot)?

But it's really all the stresses that the weather brings as well as too much N or growing in too rich soil, that can induce BER that's most important altho many feel that since containers have to be watered so often, at least in the south, that any Ca++ already there leaches out.

Carolyn

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks Carolyn. Yep I read the whole blog on BER. I live in the Bay area (foggy June, July ...) and all my tomatoes are in containers with an inverted colender at the bottom & a drainage plastic tube at the bottom and a pvc pipe inserted with intermittent holes along for watering. All the containers are filled with a non soil planting mix. At the time of planting I mixed in some tomato food & kelp but that's it. So, yes, I was wondering about the epsom salts and how much to use for each 10 to 15 gal container as perhaps an experiment only- with some of the 15 plants.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I have tons of unknowns, sometimes PL or RL helps narrow it down. I know what they are once the fruit ripens. Lol I only pinch the suckers when the plants are young and only if I think about it, I never do it ALL the time. I've never had any problems.

I do add Epsom Salts when I first plant them and then ever so often after that. (I do this very scientifically) I know my plants look much greener after I apply it. I put ABOUT 1 TBS/gal of water with 1/2 strength fert. In the hole when I first plant out. I'm not sure if the Epsom salts help but it can't hurt. It does seem that since I've started using ES my plants are healthier.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Yup, 1 Tbsp per gal water- not more than once a month, tho with the soilless mixtures I am not sure, but it is a salt, so ez

Its called a salt but doesnt contain any sodium. Thats simply a description of its consistency. When I mix it with liquid organic fertilizer I apply it as a foliar feeder as well as a soil drench. When I use this mixture on 1/2 my Market plants I can tell which ones still need it as soon as the next day, they get that much greener that quickly.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

And they get much greener Lisa b'c Mg++ is the central part of the chlorophyll molecule thus more photosynthesis occurs b/c more chlorophyll molecules are made.

The Palm trees in FL and elsewhere, last I knew, are sprayed with Epsom salt, magnesium sulfate, to green them up for the tourists. LOL

Not using Mg ++ sulfate but regular fertilizers my tomato plants were always as green as I thought they should be. ( smile)

Carolyn

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

I take what you are saying is that just because they are greener because the have lots of magnesium doesn't mean that they are healthier or are going to grow better.

Don-I agree. I just dont think it hurts anything and its cheap. It is surprising to have them side by side and see how much difference there is in color.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.