Speciman tree looking for suggestions

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I am looking for a focal point tree to go behind the right side of my new bridge. This area is flooded at various times during the year, so whatever I do plant must be tolerant of standing water. The tree in front and to the right is a birch of some sort - either river birch or paper birch. It gets a bit of yellow fall color but nothing spectacular. Across the creek are alders, mostly yellow in fall. I'm thinking of a fall pop of some sort. Any ideas?

Thumbnail by bonehead
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

I have been looking for something too that can take soggy conditions part of the year. I did find the Sweet Bay Magnolia which can take wet conditions, but it will get 30-50 FT height. To big for my spot sadly ..but it looks like you have lots of room for this tree.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Yes, I'm looking for a large tree: fast growing, fall color, wet feet, full sun. The spot I will plant is between the inlet to the pond and road out back, so I will have to keep width in mind, although limbing it up fairly high would be an option.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

How about a gorgeous weeping willow? All of the Salix love wet feet. I find nothing to be more beautiful than a mature weeping willow hanging over a pond or lake. Yellow foliage in the fall. Early spring leaves. Wonderful shape. Just recently, my husband and I took a trip to Boston (he did the Boston marathon). I loved the specimen willows in the Boston gardens around the pond.

Here is a link to an image from the Boston gardens
http://www.google.com/search?q=Boston+gardens+weeping+willow+image&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari#&miuv=4

The Boston commons and gardens are the oldest public parks in America, so that tree is probably around 100 years old. So imagine it scaled down a bit.

More info
http://www.naturehills.com/product/weeping_willow.aspx

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Grows 8 - 10 feet per year. Wow. You could mix in a few vine maples to keep it natural and add a pop of red color.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

I forgot to say that vine maples tolerate wet feet. I love vine maples.

Lake Stevens, WA

Didn't know that about Vine Maple. There is a vine maple with red bark, very pretty.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Our granddaughter ran in the Boston Marathon this year also. She is from San Diego.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.